Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 410754 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #2625 on: December 13, 2017, 06:20:53 AM »
Watched Dunkirk last night...

It was watchable but not much more than that TBH... I shall watch the 1958 version tonight...

The film really doesn't convey the sheer scale of the event in terms of men, ships or aircraft... Given the amazing ability of CGI these days that seems odd...

I was also rather miffed by the depiction of a Spitfire's ability to apparently carry an infinite amount of ammunition and glide for about 20 mins after running out of fuel...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2626 on: December 13, 2017, 09:16:35 AM »
Watched Dunkirk last night...

It was watchable but not much more than that TBH... I shall watch the 1958 version tonight...

The film really doesn't convey the sheer scale of the event in terms of men, ships or aircraft... Given the amazing ability of CGI these days that seems odd...

I was also rather miffed by the depiction of a Spitfire's ability to apparently carry an infinite amount of ammunition and glide for about 20 mins after running out of fuel...  noooo:
Well that's it double not on 'the list' then
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2627 on: December 13, 2017, 08:18:36 PM »
Just watched Dunkirk....

Now THAT is how to make a movie!  :thumbsup:

Utterly shite SFX obvs. but a much better film than the 2017 one - even tho it obviously wrote the script for it....  noooo:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:32:52 PM by Barman »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #2628 on: December 13, 2017, 08:31:59 PM »
It took me a couple of hours to be able to walk straight after seeing it on a BIG SCREEN  redface: whistle:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #2629 on: December 13, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »
Just watched Dunkirk....

Utterly shite SFX obvs. but a much better film than the 2017 one - even tho it obviously wrote the script for it....  noooo:

Same ending ....... rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2630 on: December 13, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »
Just watched Dunkirk....

Same ending ....... rubschin:

Yup!  :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2631 on: December 14, 2017, 08:47:48 AM »
Does Atonement count as a Dunkirk film?

definitely one of the most stunning endings of a film

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2632 on: December 14, 2017, 08:57:04 AM »
Does Atonement count as a Dunkirk film?

definitely one of the most stunning endings of a film

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2633 on: December 15, 2017, 11:00:51 PM »
For my Last Jedi review time it is. admit I do, that unsure about the ending I am but willing to give the film the benefit of the doubt I shall.  Some brilliant set pieces there are, the story of how ben solo became kylo ren includes this does and explained from different perspectives it was. Shows the full picture and explain why a bitter old man Luke has becone, it does. Has the audience wondering if truly beyond saving Kylo Ren is or redeemed could he be.  Yes, hmmm.

Just Luke that is shown to be fallible it is not, a number of the resistance leaders we see and how easy that they can make mistakes it is. While not really seen on screen, mentioned some famous leaders from the original trilogy there are. Opening set piece with Dameron at the beginning when he is stalling with General Hux amusing it is but arguable if worth the losses the following battle it is.

While speaking of amusing moments I am, missed opportunity there was early in film. Lightsaber on the ground there was with with 2 porgs, in front of the business end one was standing while jumping up and down on it the other was.  Take a mind reader to know the entire audience at this point was thinking "Land on the button....." it would not.

Trend of clear parallels between a new hope and the force awakens continues it does, straight from Empire Strikes Back a few scenes could have been. At one point Rey's father half expecting Snoke to say to tell her I was. 

Overall enjoyed the film I did although getting rid of the old guard this trilogy starting to feel like it is, especially with scene early in film. however, popular old character brought back one is. Cackling like loon he was while causing a little chaos but good to see again he is.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2634 on: December 15, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »
For my Last Jedi review time it is. admit I do, that unsure about the ending I am but willing to give the film the benefit of the doubt I shall.  Some brilliant set pieces there are, the story of how ben solo became kylo ren includes this does and explained from different perspectives it was. Shows the full picture and explain why a bitter old man Luke has becone, it does. Has the audience wondering if truly beyond saving Kylo Ren is or redeemed could he be.  Yes, hmmm.

Just Luke that is shown to be fallible it is not, a number of the resistance leaders we see and how easy that they can make mistakes it is. While not really seen on screen, mentioned some famous leaders from the original trilogy there are. Opening set piece with Dameron at the beginning when he is stalling with General Hux amusing it is but arguable if worth the losses the following battle it is.

While speaking of amusing moments I am, missed opportunity there was early in film. Lightsaber on the ground there was with with 2 porgs, in front of the business end one was standing while jumping up and down on it the other was.  Take a mind reader to know the entire audience at this point was thinking "Land on the button....." it would not.

Trend of clear parallels between a new hope and the force awakens continues it does, straight from Empire Strikes Back a few scenes could have been. At one point Rey's father half expecting Snoke to say to tell her I was. 

Overall enjoyed the film I did although getting rid of the old guard this trilogy starting to feel like it is, especially with scene early in film. however, popular old character brought back one is. Cackling like loon he was while causing a little chaos but good to see again he is.
Brilliant that is Meister

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2635 on: December 15, 2017, 11:12:13 PM »

Brilliant that is Meister

Difficult review to write it was, easy to give away spoilers by mistake it is. Hopeful I am though that edit the porg scene someone will to show the birth of Darth Porgy. Similar comic scene opportunity missed in Return of the Jedi there was. Wicket already shown to be canny when stealing speeder bike he was. Plausible it would have been, to pick up a discarded blaster during the battle and accidentally fire it. Then once figured out how to do it again he had, running round the battlefield firing in all directions like psycho teddy Rambo he could have been.  lol:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2636 on: December 16, 2017, 06:12:31 AM »
facepalm:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2637 on: December 16, 2017, 07:41:13 AM »
Of the dim side only a master, with as an ally the farce, like that would slap their head. Your hair fall out it will. Hmmmmmm.  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2638 on: December 18, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »
Just watched The Foreigner... A little far fetched but good viewing...   :thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #2639 on: December 18, 2017, 08:26:35 PM »
Watching The RIght Stuff cloud9:

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile