Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 411665 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #2010 on: April 20, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »
Watched a movie last night....."the boat that rocked" , outfuckingstanding.  Thumbs: Thumbs: Thumbs:

Excellent!  :thumbsup:

just watching Look who's back....  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #2011 on: April 20, 2016, 06:09:01 PM »
Watched a movie last night....."the boat that rocked" , outfuckingstanding.  Thumbs: Thumbs: Thumbs:

Any good...... rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2012 on: April 20, 2016, 06:50:52 PM »

Any good...... rubschin:

So far so happy001
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2013 on: April 20, 2016, 07:24:53 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #2014 on: April 21, 2016, 06:57:57 AM »
Finally got around to watching The Force Awakens and I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised. I had been half expecting Disney to make a total pigs ear of the franchise but this is a promising start. The new additions to the cast work well and I'm curious to see where the character development goes with them. Killing off a major character was always going to be a risky idea, even when the actor in question wanted it done but the scene played out well. The action set pieces were all well done and didn't lose the feel of the original trilogy.

There have been complaints that this was just a rehash of episode 4 and to be fair you can see more than a few similarities between the 2 films. From the force sensitive heroine coming from a desert world to the rehash of the death star trench run but it works with the new storyline.

The only part of the film which I think could have been done better was Luke's appearance at the end. There is meant to be this powerful scene when having located him he turns around and the heroine hands him his lightsabre. THe only problam was that as soon as he turned around and revealed his face my immediate reaction was "BLOODY HELL!!! OLIVER REED IS A JEDI!!" Whoever decided that the character needed that beard to look old and wise needs to go to specsavers.  lol:
:thumbsup:

What I thought but in betterer words than I could

http://www.sadanduseless.com/2015/11/the-daily-life-of-darth-vader/#dr5MqIj9P68SQJZ3.01
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2015 on: April 21, 2016, 09:06:52 AM »
Finally got around to watching The Force Awakens and I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised. I had been half expecting Disney to make a total pigs ear of the franchise but this is a promising start. The new additions to the cast work well and I'm curious to see where the character development goes with them. Killing off a major character was always going to be a risky idea, even when the actor in question wanted it done but the scene played out well. The action set pieces were all well done and didn't lose the feel of the original trilogy.

There have been complaints that this was just a rehash of episode 4 and to be fair you can see more than a few similarities between the 2 films. From the force sensitive heroine coming from a desert world to the rehash of the death star trench run but it works with the new storyline.

The only part of the film which I think could have been done better was Luke's appearance at the end. There is meant to be this powerful scene when having located him he turns around and the heroine hands him his lightsabre. THe only problam was that as soon as he turned around and revealed his face my immediate reaction was "BLOODY HELL!!! OLIVER REED IS A JEDI!!" Whoever decided that the character needed that beard to look old and wise needs to go to specsavers.  lol:

http://www.sadanduseless.com/2015/11/the-daily-life-of-darth-vader/#dr5MqIj9P68SQJZ3.01

happy001
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #2016 on: April 21, 2016, 09:21:49 AM »

happy001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2017 on: April 21, 2016, 08:06:29 PM »

Watched half last night... watched the whole thing again tonight....  eeek:

Amazebugs.  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #2018 on: April 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM »

Amazebugs.  Thumbs:

So an own AFFS then ......... rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2019 on: April 22, 2016, 05:30:05 AM »

Amazebugs.  Thumbs:

So an own AFFS then ......... rubschin:

Only the first half...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2020 on: May 13, 2016, 11:53:43 AM »

Absolutely splendid!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2021 on: May 13, 2016, 12:30:37 PM »

rubschin:    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/owen-bennett/brexit-the-movie-_b_9915388.html

"But hey, this was Brexit: The Movie. You wouldn't get annoyed with a Star Wars film for not giving an equal hearing to the Dark Side after all. . . . . .

. . . could this film convince people to actually vote Remain? Yes, I think it could do that to. The vision of the UK painted in Brexit: The Movie is of a country where business rules the roost and any regulation is something to be resisted.

It is a film I would recommend everybody watches, no matter what side of the argument they are on."

Will try and find the 71 minutes to watch it later

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2022 on: May 13, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »

rubschin:    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/owen-bennett/brexit-the-movie-_b_9915388.html

"But hey, this was Brexit: The Movie. You wouldn't get annoyed with a Star Wars film for not giving an equal hearing to the Dark Side after all. . . . . .

. . . could this film convince people to actually vote Remain? Yes, I think it could do that to. The vision of the UK painted in Brexit: The Movie is of a country where business rules the roost and any regulation is something to be resisted.

It is a film I would recommend everybody watches, no matter what side of the argument they are on."

Will try and find the 71 minutes to watch it later

Well, that is an interesting take on it... I particularly liked: -

Strangely, no one mentioned the huge exploitation of workers, including children, which that entailed. Perhaps the Sadlers Committee Report of 1832, which revealed the dire treatment of children in textiles mills and factories, was a piece of fiction and it was all peace, love and money during the Industrial Revolution.

Rather desperate I would have thought as the film argues that it all started to go Pete Tong for the UK because of over-regulation brought about by the First and then The Second World Wars...

Still, would be interested on your take on it.

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2023 on: May 14, 2016, 10:34:33 AM »
.. .Still, would be interested on your take on it.

Well watched it all, much of it twice

Short verdict:  all seems to be preaching to the choir and not the congregation

In more detail:

If there's a killer argument for leaving the EU it's why pay £140 per man woman and child to have 2 million and more each foreigners undermining our jobs market and overloading our services. 

This film didn't even once allude to that focussing instead on the obvious that if we wanted a free trading block in Europe we wouldn't start from here.  Well no shit Sherlock. Farage, Davis and Hannan came over well as did the presenter but many of the faces did not.  There was too much xenophobia, chip on shoulder paranoia and disingenuity thrown in.  Kate Hooey in effect saying we should leave because she is ignorant wasn't good and the guy at the end saying it'd be better to have to eat grass than be in the EU does rather lead the neutral observer to think that leaving might be that bad.  And to echo the Huffington Post comment, for many it could be that bad if the libertarian themes behind the film came to pass with its praising of 19th century Britain.

As for deploring that we regulate children's toys so there's no lead paint to suck, sharp edges to cut or choking hazards to kill, well that was a big fat own goal.

I repeat there's a strong case to leave the EU, this film made all the wrong ones.  Its net effect might be exactly what its backers didn't want.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:36:49 AM by Steve »

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2024 on: May 16, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »
Watching Now Voyager....  cloud9:

I expect Mr. Darwin Sir took Mrs. Darwin #1 to see it when it came out....  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: