Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 411143 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #255 on: May 02, 2009, 07:06:39 AM »
Notes on a Scandal

Judi Dench and Cate Blanches star in this awesomely acted thriller.

The story is basically that of the relationship between Dench and Blanchett (both teachers at the same school) during a period when Blanchett starts shagging one of her students. Absolutely gripping!

Contains shagging.

Quote from: Amazon
Gold stars to all for this taut psychological thriller based on Zoe Heller's novel that that gets more insidiously twisted as it unfolds. Oscar-nominated for her chilling performance, Dame Judi Dench gives a master class as schoolteacher Barbara Covett, a frumpy, friendless, and flinty spinster who lives with her cat. A formidable presence, Barbara is standoffish with colleagues and not one for students to trifle with (not that they'd dare). Cate Blanchett, also an Oscar nominee and winner of several critics society awards for her impassioned performance, costars as Sheba Hart, the new, overwhelmed art teacher who first becomes enthrall to Barbara after she steps in to help Sheba discipline unruly students. Barbara cultivates a friendship, and insinuates herself into Sheba's chaotic life, which includes her older husband (Bill Nighy), teenage daughter, and a son with Down's syndrome. Then, Barbara catches the reckless Sheba in a compromising position with a 15-year-old student (Andrew Simpson). Seizing her opportunity, the calculating Barbara does not turn her in. Rather, she wants to "help" her. "She's the one I've been waiting for," she writes in the journals she meticulously keeps, and which provide, in voiceover, her corrosive commentary. This all sounds very Fatal Attraction, but no boiling rabbits, please; we're British. Philip Glass's Oscar-nominated score accentuates the growing menace. Though there is little in these characters to admire, (one would think GLAAD would have something to say about the predatory turn Barbara's character takes), Notes on a Scandal is a compelling tour-de-force for its Grade-A cast. --Donald Liebenson 

Read the book and, as one does, formed the characters in my mind's eye. Somehow I didn't come up with either Dame Judy or Cate Blanchett, the latter being a bit too glamorous for the role and the former a bit too "healthy and wholesome" I would have thought.

But if you want me to name pretty ladies I would like to watch shagging then Cate would be one for the list. Have to say I enjoyed the book enormously ~ which is unusual as I am not a fan of Zoe Heller. Having read the book I'm not sure if I would find the film as gripping ~ mainly 'cos I now know how it turns out.
Always a problem...

Watch the film or read the book - I can't think of an occasion when both have been equally enjoyable...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #256 on: May 02, 2009, 07:13:25 AM »
Notes on a Scandal

Judi Dench and Cate Blanches star in this awesomely acted thriller.

The story is basically that of the relationship between Dench and Blanchett (both teachers at the same school) during a period when Blanchett starts shagging one of her students. Absolutely gripping!

Contains shagging.

Gold stars to all for this taut psychological thriller based on Zoe Heller's novel that that gets more insidiously twisted as it unfolds. Oscar-nominated for her chilling performance, Dame Judi Dench gives a master class as schoolteacher Barbara Covett, a frumpy, friendless, and flinty spinster who lives with her cat. A formidable presence, Barbara is standoffish with colleagues and not one for students to trifle with (not that they'd dare). Cate Blanchett, also an Oscar nominee and winner of several critics society awards for her impassioned performance, costars as Sheba Hart, the new, overwhelmed art teacher who first becomes enthrall to Barbara after she steps in to help Sheba discipline unruly students. Barbara cultivates a friendship, and insinuates herself into Sheba's chaotic life, which includes her older husband (Bill Nighy), teenage daughter, and a son with Down's syndrome. Then, Barbara catches the reckless Sheba in a compromising position with a 15-year-old student (Andrew Simpson). Seizing her opportunity, the calculating Barbara does not turn her in. Rather, she wants to "help" her. "She's the one I've been waiting for," she writes in the journals she meticulously keeps, and which provide, in voiceover, her corrosive commentary. This all sounds very Fatal Attraction, but no boiling rabbits, please; we're British. Philip Glass's Oscar-nominated score accentuates the growing menace. Though there is little in these characters to admire, (one would think GLAAD would have something to say about the predatory turn Barbara's character takes), Notes on a Scandal is a compelling tour-de-force for its Grade-A cast. --Donald Liebenson 

Read the book and, as one does, formed the characters in my mind's eye. Somehow I didn't come up with either Dame Judy or Cate Blanchett, the latter being a bit too glamorous for the role and the former a bit too "healthy and wholesome" I would have thought.

But if you want me to name pretty ladies I would like to watch shagging then Cate would be one for the list. Have to say I enjoyed the book enormously ~ which is unusual as I am not a fan of Zoe Heller. Having read the book I'm not sure if I would find the film as gripping ~ mainly 'cos I now know how it turns out.
Always a problem...

Watch the film or read the book - I can't think of an occasion when both have been equally enjoyable...  noooo:

The only time it works for me (Book v Film) is with the Bond stories which I find equally enjoyable escapism in either format as the books stand alone and the films are such a spectacular firework display that never really bear any resemblance to the original story. That said I have yet to watch the "new" Bond but do have "A Quantum of Solace" waiting to be watched when I get round to it.

On reflection the only other interpretation of books into film format that stands up are Jeeves and Wooster (as played by Fry and Laurie) who have caught it perfectly IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 07:15:26 AM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #257 on: May 04, 2009, 06:44:55 AM »
The Last King of Scotland

Awesome movie (based on actual events) about a young Scottish doctor that takes himself off to Uganda in search of adventure. Meets Idi Amin and becomes his personal physician...

Excellent acting on the whole, a great, tense thriller with amazing scenery and accurately portrayed settings, vehicles, etc. Well worth a watch.

Contains shagging (although not explicit) and black burds with their tits out like....

As the evil Ugandan dictator Idi Amin, Forest Whitaker gives an unforgettable performance in The Last King of Scotland. Powerfully illustrating the terrible truth that absolute power corrupts absolutely, this fictionalised chronicle of Amin's rise and fall is based on the acclaimed novel by Giles Foden, in which Amin's despotic reign of terror is viewed through the eyes of Nicholas Garrigan (James McAvoy), a Scottish doctor who arrives in Uganda in the early 1970s to serve as Amin's personal physician. His outsider's perspective causes him to be initially impressed by Amin's calculated rise to power, but as the story progresses--and as Whitaker's award-worthy performance grows increasingly monstrous--The Last King of Scotland turns into a pointed examination of how independent Uganda (a British colony until 1962) became a breeding ground for Amin's genocidal tyranny. As Whitaker plays him, Amin is both seductive and horribly destructive--sometimes in the same breath--and McAvoy effectively conveys the tragic cost of his character's naiveté, which grows increasingly prone to exploitation. As directed by Kevin Macdonald (who made the riveting semi-documentary Touching the Void), this potent cautionary tale my prompt some viewers to check out Barbet Schroeder's equally revealing documentary General Idi Amin Dada, an essential source for much of this film's authentic detail. --Jeff Shannon

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #258 on: May 04, 2009, 06:51:13 AM »
Tis indeed an excellent movie .....excellent characters and very emotive portrayal of a time that to be honest I did not know that much about.

Violence and corruption as ever whenever politics is involved  noooo:
Skubber

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #259 on: May 05, 2009, 02:22:58 PM »
Tis indeed an excellent movie .....excellent characters and very emotive portrayal of a time that to be honest I did not know that much about.

Violence and corruption as ever whenever politics is involved  noooo:

Agreed. Cracking film.
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #260 on: May 07, 2009, 06:42:07 PM »
Ta. On my list for a DVD rental prolly.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine gave me this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Me-Garrison-Keillor/dp/0571217230/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241721027&sr=1-30

They had two copies and thought I might like it and indeed I do  ;)  I've read a few of his and seen the film they made of Prairie Home Companion which is very affectionate and wry.

The book's a tad racier than regular Kiellor and very amusing:
Larry Wyler is frustrated with provincial life and his failing marriage, until his best-selling novel, Spacious Skies, earns him a ticket to Manhattan, a million-dollar apartment and an office at The New Yorker. But when writer's block strikes, an invitation to write a newspaper advice column, 'Ask Mr Blue', provides a much needed distraction. Slowly, painfully, Wyler finds a measure of clarity for his own life, and then sets out to win back his wife's affections.

Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #261 on: May 08, 2009, 09:02:24 AM »
I am also a fan of Garrison Keillor.
I mostly despair

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #262 on: May 13, 2009, 04:01:50 PM »
This is supposed to be quite good -   whistle:

Skubber

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #263 on: May 13, 2009, 04:17:08 PM »

happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001
I mostly despair

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #264 on: May 13, 2009, 04:19:49 PM »

And to think you commented on my BBTB comment Miss D.  happy001
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #265 on: May 13, 2009, 04:22:52 PM »
Sorry ...couldn't resist.  redface:

I is only joking  - before BM bans me from the site  surrender:
Skubber

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #266 on: May 13, 2009, 04:23:56 PM »
I is only joking  - before BM bans me from the site  surrender:

He wouldn't dare ban you Miss D. At least not till he finds out what gossip LL gave you.  lol:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #267 on: May 13, 2009, 05:00:58 PM »

It isn't... I read it this morning...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #268 on: May 13, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »
 happy100

No one blames you .... you are the hero of the hour. But only for an hour - after that normal service is resumed  lol:
Skubber

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2009, 05:22:37 AM »
Anyhooo...  ::)

Twelve Monkeys

Watched this last night - most excellent Sci-fi, mystery, thriller. Set in 2035 the world has been decimated by... well, I'll let Amazon decribe the plot below. Suffice to say I thoroughly enjoyed the film and the lead (Bruce Willis), apart from constantly reminding me of Butch in Pulp Fiction was awesome...

Thoroughly recommended although no shagging...  noooo:

Amazon.co.uk Review
Inspired by Chris Marker's acclaimed short film La Jetée, 12 Monkeys combines intricate, intelligent storytelling with the uniquely imaginative vision of director Terry Gilliam. The story opens in the wintry wasteland of the year 2035, where a virulent plague has forced humans to live in a squalid, oppressively regimented underground. Bruce Willis plays a societal outcast who is given the opportunity to erase his criminal record by "volunteering" to time-travel into the past to obtain a pure sample of the deadly virus that will help future scientists to develop a cure. But in bouncing from 1918 to the early and mid-1990s, he undergoes an ordeal that forces him to question his own perceptions of reality. Caught between the dangers of the past and the devastation of the future, he encounters a psychiatrist (Madeleine Stowe) who is initially convinced he's insane, and a wacky mental patient (Brad Pitt in a twitchy Oscar-nominated role) with links to a radical group that may have unleashed the deadly virus. Equal parts mystery, tragedy, psychological thriller, and apocalyptic drama, 12 Monkeys ranks as one of the best science fiction films of the 1990s, boosted by Gilliam's visual ingenuity and one of the finest performances of Willis's career.

Pro Skub  Thumbs: