Author Topic: Wallowing in Grief  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
Wallowing in Grief
« on: June 14, 2018, 12:18:32 PM »
The Grenfell "community" that is. OK it was a terrible event but calling yourselves "victims", "survivors" or whatever isn't going to help with healing process. To me, grieving is a private affair not some public spectacle.   

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
Re: Wallowing in Grief
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 12:27:00 PM »
It is becoming propandga warfare.

The issues around the cause are so complex that they will never be able to pin the tail on the donkey .

It was an awful and unimaginable event that no one could have been prepared for. It is harrowing to hear the stories and there were countless mistakes made by many people and organisations.

But the one sided reporting is really not on.
Skubber

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 12:44:27 PM »
Maybe they should round up all those that made self serving dishonest decisions at the eventual expense of others' lives, put them on the top floor of that tower, drench it in petrol and torch it again.  See if they can get out in time.

It's taking way too long to place the obviously guilty on trial and until we see that then I have no issue with today's reminder

And have a thought for those in leasehold flats, built with illegal cladding that are now having to fund massive costs of 24/7 firewardens and eventual cladding replacement.  The government has bailed out council owned properties but not those facing personal bankruptcy

Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 01:24:34 PM »
Who is at fault?

The contractors used substandard materials, did they cover it up or did the council know but let it pass because it was cheaper. All I know is that when I had an extension built the planning put through was scrutinised very closely and the build was inspected a number of times by the council.

To me the K & C Council seem a bit cavalier and uncaring.  rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 01:28:35 PM »
Who is at fault?

The contractors used substandard materials, did they cover it up or did the council know but let it pass because it was cheaper. All I know is that when I had an extension built the planning put through was scrutinised very closely and the build was inspected a number of times by the council.

To me the K & C Council seem a bit cavalier and uncaring.  rubschin:

I haven't followed it very closely from here...

But it sounds to me that 'survivors' have been given a platform to air their 'feelz' rather than having an independent enquiry to actually find out what went wrong and ultimately who (if anybody) was to blame.

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 03:36:07 PM »
This is bottom up PR to give a kick up the arse to the Enquiry and keep the whole thing in the public eye. K&C council have acted appallingly throughout, and so has the Gubbernment. It is a mournathon, but if I was a survivor of that horror I would be doing the same.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 05:13:17 PM »
Since when has grief and mourning become a public event? This desire to be seen to be be grieving is all wrong, It's like a competition to see who can suffer the most.  noooo: 

Personally I think this over the top reaction means you can never "move on"

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 05:28:05 PM »
When I lived in Scouseland I got sick of seeing flowers and teddies tied to lamp posts. It has now spread.................. noooo:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 10:47:28 PM »
When I lived in Scouseland I got sick of seeing flowers and teddies tied to lamp posts. It has now spread.................. noooo:
Will Grenfell grief outlast Hillsborough?
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 05:02:51 AM »

rubschin:

I suspect both will go on ferevah....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 09:55:05 AM »

rubschin:

I doubt it, who remembers the Herald of free Enterprise now?  Or Ladbroke Grove, Bradford or even Hither Green?    Hillsborough is extended because of the decades long cover up

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 12:35:43 AM »

rubschin:

I doubt it, who remembers the Herald of free Enterprise now?  Or Ladbroke Grove, Bradford or even Hither Green?    Hillsborough is extended because of the decades long cover up

I remember the Herald of Free Enterprise, in part because in an almost Nickesque show of doziness the radio station I was listening to followed up the newsflash with 'Dancing on the Ceiling'  noooo:

Looking back I'm pretty sure that was the origin of the joke going around soon after.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 05:11:47 AM »

rubschin:

I remember the Herald of Free Enterprise, in part because in an almost Nickesque show of doziness the radio station I was listening to followed up the newsflash with 'Dancing on the Ceiling'  noooo:

Looking back I'm pretty sure that was the origin of the joke going around soon after.

facepalm:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 07:01:11 AM »
 cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing: cussing:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »

rubschin:

facepalm:
facepalm: facepalm:

Herald of Free Enterprise was horrible, like Grenfell, Hillsborough and Heisel the TV coverage was almost contemporaneous and you knew you were watching as rescuers were failing to save real people's lives

Air crashes are more of the 'we know they're all dead, why did it happen?' coverage