Disgusterous

Author Topic: The Upcoming Movie Thread  (Read 63701 times)

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The Upcoming Movie Thread
« Reply #390 on: September 30, 2020, 05:00:39 AM »
The studios switching to VOD won't prevent piracy though, if anything it will make it easier as you can stream to a computer and then use video capture to record it.
I guess their theory is that many pirate copy watchers do it more for the home viewing convenience than to steal.  I'd hate to see cinemas go, they're a huge part of my life but if I'm honest mostly last century.  Gone from ~2 visits a month to ~ 2 a year in normal times.  And yes that's part explained by the content is nowadays really aimed at those much younger than baby boomers but they're the ones most likely to want to see stuff on their screen and now

I really don't know what can be done

Closed 3 days a week now. I have a grand total of 2.75 hours next week and that and that shift isn't a certainty. I'm applying for other jobs left right and centre but so far no luck  noooo:

What a shitfest...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #391 on: September 30, 2020, 07:56:48 AM »
The studios switching to VOD won't prevent piracy though, if anything it will make it easier as you can stream to a computer and then use video capture to record it.
I guess their theory is that many pirate copy watchers do it more for the home viewing convenience than to steal.  I'd hate to see cinemas go, they're a huge part of my life but if I'm honest mostly last century.  Gone from ~2 visits a month to ~ 2 a year in normal times.  And yes that's part explained by the content is nowadays really aimed at those much younger than baby boomers but they're the ones most likely to want to see stuff on their screen and now

I really don't know what can be done

Closed 3 days a week now. I have a grand total of 2.75 hours next week and that and that shift isn't a certainty. I'm applying for other jobs left right and centre but so far no luck  noooo:

What a shitfest...  noooo:

We did have a moderately optimistic outlook on the rest of the years releases until we found out that Death on the Nile has been put back to mid December but we can still have I am Greta next month.  Banghead

Assuming that we can last till mid November Bond, Death on the Nile , Wonder Woman and Dune will hopefully keep us going this year but I have a nasty feeling that October is going to be a long and unpleasant month although if we can get the re-releases of Dog Soldiers and Akira in they may get enough students in to help tide us over. If nothing gets rescheduled again next year we should hopefully be able to get back on track again as there are enough staggered big film releases to keep numbers fairly steady judging from Tenet's performance.   noooo:

I don't think Disney have realised what they have done though, rescheduling most of their films till next year has caused some real problems that will come back to bite them once things get back to something resembling normality. Any goodwill they had with cinema's has been hammered which means the chains and independents are going to be far less likely to accept their overly restrictive licencing agreements for their future releases especially with how many competing films may be coming out over the next 12-18 months.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #392 on: September 30, 2020, 08:19:31 AM »
 noooo:
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #393 on: October 02, 2020, 10:25:50 PM »
Well so much for that plan, now Bond has been put back again until next year.

At this rate the studios are going to make far less money than they expect because there won't be any cinemas left for them to release to and releasing VOD means that multiple people can watch for the price of a single rental.  Banghead
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #394 on: October 02, 2020, 11:13:25 PM »

At this rate the studios are going to make far less money than they expect because there won't be any cinemas left for them to release to and releasing VOD means that multiple people can watch for the price of a single rental.  Banghead
noooo:

Offline Nick

« Reply #395 on: October 03, 2020, 06:17:07 PM »
Watching Contact on the DVD. Always had the hots for Jodie Foster cloud9:  Looks like Mrs Nick #1  sad24:  Pity she is a rug muncher noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #396 on: October 03, 2020, 06:41:01 PM »
Watching Contact on the DVD. Always had the hots for Jodie Foster cloud9:  Looks like Mrs Nick #1  sad24:  Pity she is a rug muncher noooo:
:thumbsup:

Foster is superb as is that film.  And yes a sad loss to us blokes but I figure she's got to be what she really is.  One of THE best actresses of the last 50 years

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #397 on: October 04, 2020, 03:39:55 PM »

noooo:

Look like Cineworld is going to be the first chain to go belly up  noooo:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8802491/Cineworld-shut-128-UK-Ireland-cinemas-industry-unviable.html

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #398 on: October 04, 2020, 03:41:10 PM »

noooo:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8802491/Cineworld-shut-128-UK-Ireland-cinemas-industry-unviable.html

I read that earlier, didn't like to post it...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #399 on: October 04, 2020, 03:44:14 PM »

noooo:

I've been expecting one of them to go although I'd been more inclined to believe it would be AMC/Odeon first

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #400 on: October 04, 2020, 04:22:23 PM »

noooo:

ditto

Problem is who of us is eager to go see a film in a real cinema with all this mess going on?  Not I. 

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #401 on: October 07, 2020, 01:43:41 AM »

noooo:

ditto

Problem is who of us is eager to go see a film in a real cinema with all this mess going on?  Not I.

The same people who were perfectly happy to cram into pubs, the big films that were originally coming are the ones that would have appealed to them. Speaking of big films Dune, The Batman, Eternals, Top Gun Maverick, Black Widow and Ghostbusters have now been put back to mid/late 2021 and the Black Adam DCU and Minecraft films have been taken off the release list altogether. I'm honestly in doubt that the cinema industry is going to survive this at all as I now expect Wonder Woman and Death on the Nile to be put back again leaving pretty much all minor and independent films to last till at least March/April. Regal has joined Cineworld in closing their US and UK sites and Odeon has switched at least a quarter of their sites to weekend opening only, the BFI are 'highly concerned'.

The studios could easily throw a lifeline to cinemas by opening up their back catalogue for a reduced rate. It wouldn't cost them to only charge 30-50% of their normal licencing fee and royalties to show their older films and that could at least give sites a chance to keep going for the time being while still making them some money.

The thing that pisses me off is that we initially saw decent numbers for Tenet, they weren't huge but better than we expected not just because of Covid but also because the advertising and promotion for the film just seemed lazy. A trend that I've noticed for years now as the studios seem to depend more on social media word of mouth. 

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #402 on: October 07, 2020, 08:20:41 AM »
 :thumbsup: good points esp about the back catalogues

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #403 on: October 09, 2020, 10:15:13 AM »
3 Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri was on the tellybox last night. Rather good, I thought.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #404 on: October 09, 2020, 10:32:43 AM »
3 Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri was on the tellybox last night. Rather good, I thought.
:thumbsup: