Author Topic: My new phone  (Read 55638 times)

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Re: My new phone
« Reply #240 on: July 04, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »
Picked up a new phone today...  cloud9:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OtrVppbZNf8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Gets very good reviews  :thumbsup:

What's the half like of a smart phone for you?  I buy them SIM free and run them into the ground after ~ 5 years which is prolly a mistake

The last one was/is great but I discovered in NZ that the GPS is a bit shite so we had to use LL's for navigation.

It isn't a problem generally but it was like a nagging sore and it had to go... Will sell it on-line.

The new one has super-fast GPS and also picks up GLONASS... oh and it has an IR blaster so I can control the telly from it too... lol:
:thumbsup:

Didn't know they were doing GLONASS phones now and a dual GPS/GLONASS one  :thumbsup:
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #241 on: July 04, 2018, 08:15:02 AM »

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OtrVppbZNf8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What's the half like of a smart phone for you?  I buy them SIM free and run them into the ground after ~ 5 years which is prolly a mistake

The last one was/is great but I discovered in NZ that the GPS is a bit shite so we had to use LL's for navigation.

It isn't a problem generally but it was like a nagging sore and it had to go... Will sell it on-line.

The new one has super-fast GPS and also picks up GLONASS... oh and it has an IR blaster so I can control the telly from it too... lol:

Didn't know they were doing GLONASS phones now and a dual GPS/GLONASS one  :thumbsup:

In the garden it is using 16 satellites and giving  /- 3m accuracy...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #242 on: July 04, 2018, 08:26:13 AM »

It's worth keeping an eye on the Chinese budget smartphones as in a lot of cases their manufacturers are sub companies or trading styles of larger established names. The last 2 phones I've had have been from Honor who are actually Huawei and they've both been brilliant. From what I've heard Samsung and LG do something similar but I haven't been able to find out which brands they use. 
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #243 on: July 04, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »

It's worth keeping an eye on the Chinese budget smartphones as in a lot of cases their manufacturers are sub companies or trading styles of larger established names. The last 2 phones I've had have been from Honor who are actually Huawei and they've both been brilliant. From what I've heard Samsung and LG do something similar but I haven't been able to find out which brands they use.

It is a classy bit of kit and with Android 1 (running 8.x Oreo at the mo) it gets all the latest updates from Google...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #244 on: July 04, 2018, 08:52:27 AM »

And if Mr Trump ever throws a hissy fit you can still be positioned

Offline Nick

« Reply #245 on: July 04, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
Is it time for my anorak joke  ::)
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #246 on: July 04, 2018, 09:13:40 AM »
Is it time for my anorak joke  ::)
would it make a difference if we said 'no'

Offline Nick

« Reply #247 on: July 04, 2018, 09:33:48 AM »

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #248 on: July 04, 2018, 09:35:51 AM »

I'm starting to think that Nick has pointy hair...  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #249 on: July 04, 2018, 09:43:37 AM »
I mostly despair

Offline Steve

• Power Poster

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #252 on: April 18, 2019, 02:45:56 AM »
Can't think why I saw this coming...  lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47970788

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #253 on: April 18, 2019, 06:01:59 AM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster