Author Topic: Useful gadgets  (Read 8484 times)

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Useful gadgets
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 05:39:16 AM »
Cork screws.  Had loads of them and half of them have either broken or they're too stiff to work properly.  Have tried the ones with the pull down wings and inevitably the cork gets stuck up the barrel never to be retrieved again, except with saintly patience and a pair of long-nosed pliers.  Even tried that device with the compressed air widget and managed to coat everything in view a pale burgundy colour.

I've always wanted a really fine device like the sommeliers use and have eventually found one in an Italian market @ 2 Euros! Brilliantly simple and effective; a short, sharp blade for the foil, an easily deployable screw for inserting and a perfectly formed arm that rests against the lip of the bottle enabling perfect extraction every time ! Bliss.
Ah? life is complete when you have a good corkscrew.  happy088
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 06:08:14 PM »
Cork screws.  Had loads of them and half of them have either broken or they're too stiff to work properly.  Have tried the ones with the pull down wings and inevitably the cork gets stuck up the barrel never to be retrieved again, except with saintly patience and a pair of long-nosed pliers.  Even tried that device with the compressed air widget and managed to coat everything in view a pale burgundy colour.

I've always wanted a really fine device like the sommeliers use and have eventually found one in an Italian market @ 2 Euros! Brilliantly simple and effective; a short, sharp blade for the foil, an easily deployable screw for inserting and a perfectly formed arm that rests against the lip of the bottle enabling perfect extraction every time ! Bliss.

Since we are all being Nerdy the type you describe is known as a "Waiter's Friend"

and I don't mean Peter Mandleson.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 07:56:43 AM »
I never use anything other than a "waiter's friend" all the others are a complete waste of sodding time. Strange thing is the only people I know that prefer them and can actually use them have all done bar work or waiter/essing. It's seems to be a trade secret!

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 08:57:19 AM »
I also thought that a real 'waiter's friend' was the two prong type without a corksrew. So named because it didn't damage the cork upon removal which meant the cork could be put back.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 10:06:10 AM »
I also thought that a real 'waiter's friend' was the two prong type without a corksrew. So named because it didn't damage the cork upon removal which meant the cork could be put back.

I've heard that one referred to as a 'Butler's Friend' Uncle, for the reasons you site and additionally that the bottle could topped up eeek:

The one I bought was this:

Looks a bit manky in the photo but works a treat.

This one:

is likely to cause damage; tight as a gnat's chuff!
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 10:10:08 AM »

I've heard that one referred to as a 'Butler's Friend' Uncle, for the reasons you site and additionally that the bottle could topped up eeek:

You're right, I'm getting mixed up.  redface:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »
You're right, I'm getting mixed up.  redface:

Happy to oblige Uncle; the consequences of confusing the Butler with the Waiter are dire, alledgedly ;)
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"