Disgusterous

Author Topic: Bercow deserves a peerage?  (Read 1333 times)

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Bercow deserves a peerage?
« on: December 23, 2019, 12:14:49 PM »
Hmm let me think about that.........................not in the slightest. This is just off the top of my head but you are talking about the man who started his career as speaker by wasting enough taxpayers money to pay a years salary for 2 newly qualified nurses on a portrait and a coat of arms that was so tacky it could have been pulled out of the bargain bin at Poundland during a time of massive cuts and austerity. A Napoleonic powermonger who has been rightfully described as the worst and most partisan speaker in over a hundred years who was safe because he knew that parliamentary convention prevented other parties from contesting his constituency. A man who over the years has been accused of improper behaviour by a number of people and someone who in their arrogance decided that their opinion was more important that those of over 17 million after the EU referendum and so went out of their way to try and hamper efforts for independence.

Tradition can be a fine thing but Bercow's partisan bias and arrogance meant that the key tradition of the speakers role, that being their impartiality and being an unbiased voice in the house to keep order, has been completely undermined. So no, under no circumstances should this arrogant popinjay be allowed anywhere near the House of Lords, there is enough partisan bloat in there as it is.

Tell you what, if Bercow gets offered a peerage then to balance the scales Farage gets offered one by default.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1220247/Lindsay-Hoyle-Boris-Johnson-John-Bercow-House-of-Lords-peerage-Brexit-news-Remain
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Re: Bercow deserves a peerage?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 02:04:47 PM »
If Zac Goldsmith and Nicky Morgan deserve them then  . . . .

But they don't so he doesn't either. 

But he weren't bad.  Problem for many is he did his job upholding the house against a minority government that wanted to bully people as if it was a majority one
Well, whatever, nevermind

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 02:13:42 PM »
The only reason that people are saying that Bercow should get a peerage is because it's traditional for the speaker to get one. Had he simply upheld the house in an unbiased manner against a minority government trying to act like a majority one I'd be more inclined to say he should receive one but impartiality was hardly ever a factor in his actions, bear in mind this is someone who had a 'Bollocks to Brexit' sticker on their car. If you compare his actions to some of his predecessors such as Baroness Boothroyd you can see the difference and even she has stated in the past that he should have resigned and stood down his seat long before now.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 02:21:06 PM »
In all honesty I've thought for a while now that the speaker of the house should not be a sitting MP because it doesn't matter what the issue of the day may be, that constituency has neither a voice nor a vote in the house. Why should those constituents be denied something that the rest of the country has by right?

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 02:22:54 PM »
The only reason that people are saying that Bercow should get a peerage is because it's traditional for the speaker to get one. Had he simply upheld the house in an unbiased manner against a minority government trying to act like a majority one I'd be more inclined to say he should receive one but impartiality was hardly ever a factor in his actions, bear in mind this is someone who had a 'Bollocks to Brexit' sticker on their car. If you compare his actions to some of his predecessors such as Baroness Boothroyd you can see the difference and even she has stated in the past that he should have resigned and stood down his seat long before now.
It wasn't his car was it

Yes he should have checked what his daft wife put on her car but it was not his car the sticker was on

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 02:26:36 PM »
It wasn't his car was it

Yes he should have checked what his daft wife put on her car but it was not his car the sticker was on

He still has the responsibility of maintaining impartiality and making sure he does nothing to bring his office into disrepute and given the fact that he is also dead set against Brexit I have significant doubts that was an unintentional occurrence.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 03:34:12 PM »
It wasn't his car was it

He still has the responsibility of maintaining impartiality and making sure he does nothing to bring his office into disrepute and given the fact that he is also dead set against Brexit I have significant doubts that was an unintentional occurrence.
I think your main problem with him was he was the servant of a house that was very much not in support of hard Brexit

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 04:08:48 PM »
It wasn't his car was it

I think your main problem with him was he was the servant of a house that was very much not in support of hard Brexit

He was a servant of the part of the house that supported remaining in the EU. Surely that much was obvious from just about every decision he made...? ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 04:43:12 PM »
It wasn't his car was it

He was a servant of the part of the house that supported remaining in the EU. Surely that much was obvious from just about every decision he made...? ::)
His job was to keep the house in order and uphold the rules, he failed in my opinion.

The man is an arse and I would gladly see him drown in a bath of used Swarfega.

I mostly despair

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 07:55:06 PM »
On the bright side he was the man that showed the biscuit tin contraception method really worked

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 07:44:07 AM »
It wasn't his car was it

Actually no, my main problem with him was the fact that it doesn't matter how the house is made up or what the overall opinion of a matter is the speaker has to be objective and impartial which is a duty that Bercow continuously ignored.