Author Topic: TMR's all new "Tales from the Underworld" thread  (Read 53670 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: TMR's all new "Tales from the Underworld" thread
« Reply #1650 on: October 02, 2017, 09:49:56 AM »
So by all accounts Monarch is going belly up tomorrow and I can't see Ryanair surviving their public relations cock up. Will this mean even less beer money Moanio?

Potentially. We don't handle Monarch, but I have a number of friends at Airline Services who are their handlers. Monarch is a fairly sizeable chunk of their work, so I fear there may be redundancies there unless another carrier takes over the fleet/crew pronto.

For us, the loss of the Ryanair LGW-BFS route for 4 months, coupled with the winter reduction in Thomas Cook flights, has led to our glorious leaders asking for volunteers to take 2-6 weeks unpaid holiday. If they don't get volunteers? Who knows...

scared2:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #1651 on: October 02, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
So by all accounts Monarch is going belly up tomorrow and I can't see Ryanair surviving their public relations cock up. Will this mean even less beer money Moanio?

Potentially. We don't handle Monarch, but I have a number of friends at Airline Services who are their handlers. Monarch is a fairly sizeable chunk of their work, so I fear there may be redundancies there unless another carrier takes over the fleet/crew pronto.

For us, the loss of the Ryanair LGW-BFS route for 4 months, coupled with the winter reduction in Thomas Cook flights, has led to our glorious leaders asking for volunteers to take 2-6 weeks unpaid holiday. If they don't get volunteers? Who knows...

6 weeks in Cyprus, you say.... rubschin:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #1652 on: October 02, 2017, 10:32:45 AM »

noooo:  not good

Daft thing is Monarch said they were carrying more passengers than before but the price war cut their margins.  Surely supply-demand economics says that must mean there's even more flights out there to be bagged and debagged.  He guessed
Well, whatever nevermind

Offline The Moan Ranger (Orderer of the Youngs)

• Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #1653 on: October 02, 2017, 11:00:47 AM »
Monarch lost a lot of trade to Egypt, Turkey and Tunisia as a result of fears of terrorism. To compensate they shifted flights to the cut-throat Mediterrean/Greek routes, where they were simply not able to compete on price with easyJet, Ryanair and Jet2. Add to this the increased fuel costs due to the lower value of the and the end result was pretty inevitable. A real shame.

There are rumours that easyJet or Jet2 might pick up the airframes and crews, but I'm not so sure. Jet2 is all Boeing so the the acquisition of 45 Airbus isn't ideal. LoCo airlines don't want mixed fleets as it increases costs considerably.

easyJet are all CFM-56 engined, Monarch mainly IAEV2500 engined - again unattractive for LoCo.

Interestingly, Wizz Air (Airbus, IAEV2500 engined) have just set up Wizz Air UK Ltd. Wonder why?

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #1654 on: October 02, 2017, 11:19:45 AM »
It could be that they are seeing blood in the water in regards to Ryanair and are preparing accordingly. Even if the pilots get their way and O'Leary is sacked I can't see them recovering from this.
Some days I think the only thing keeping me from becoming homicidal is that the voices can't agree on which weapon would be the most fun.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #1655 on: October 02, 2017, 12:23:30 PM »
Monarch lost a lot of trade to Egypt, Turkey and Tunisia as a result of fears of terrorism. To compensate they shifted flights to the cut-throat Mediterrean/Greek routes, where they were simply not able to compete on price with easyJet, Ryanair and Jet2. Add to this the increased fuel costs due to the lower value of the and the end result was pretty inevitable. A real shame.

There are rumours that easyJet or Jet2 might pick up the airframes and crews, but I'm not so sure. Jet2 is all Boeing so the the acquisition of 45 Airbus isn't ideal. LoCo airlines don't want mixed fleets as it increases costs considerably.

easyJet are all CFM-56 engined, Monarch mainly IAEV2500 engined - again unattractive for LoCo.

Interestingly, Wizz Air (Airbus, IAEV2500 engined) have just set up Wizz Air UK Ltd. Wonder why?
Got to be a hope.  There's business out there to be had.
Well, whatever nevermind

Offline Nick

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs: