Disgusterous

Author Topic: My new phone  (Read 41058 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: My new phone
« Reply #360 on: March 05, 2021, 10:20:12 PM »
Is it from IKEA? DO you have to screw it together yerself?  whistle:

Funny you should mention that, Google were developing a modular phone that you assembled yourself. IIRC it was called Project Ara  rubschin:
You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #361 on: March 13, 2021, 07:35:56 AM »

Funny you should mention that, Google were developing a modular phone that you assembled yourself. IIRC it was called Project Ara  rubschin:

You spelt Arse wrong... ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #362 on: March 13, 2021, 09:43:02 AM »

Nope it was Ara, unfortunately Google cancelled the development.  noooo:

https://dailywireless.org/mobile/what-happened-to-project-ara/
You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #363 on: March 13, 2021, 11:27:10 AM »

Nope it was Ara, unfortunately Google cancelled the development.  noooo:

https://dailywireless.org/mobile/what-happened-to-project-ara/

Interesting read thanks.  But not a very smart idea. 

Years ago in my TD role I got asked to invest a stack of the company's money into having our futuring offerings made out of such upgradeable physical objects.  Was actually mainly supposed to address obsolescence, a real problem in aerospace electronics where customers want the 'same' computer to be deliverable 20 years after the first.  I said 'nah' and we focussed on design objects instead.

Right in front of me right now is an example of why it doesn't work.  Once upon a time we bought desktop PC's built out of a dumb motherboard with cards you plugged in and if you wanted a better graphics interface you just changed the graphics card.  Remember PCI bus?   Then someone realised it was smarter to put all that stuff on the motherboard and you got a much smaller and faster PC instead.  For a while you could plug in better RAM and hard drive but not on this Surface PC. 

Why Google didn't realise that is more than slightly bizarre

[/geek mode]
no matter how many instances of white swans we may have observed, this does not justify the conclusion that all swans are white.  (Karl Popper)