Author Topic: Windows 10 free upgrade offer  (Read 55576 times)

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Re: Windows 10 free upgrade offer
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 11:49:30 AM »
Was there a Windows 9 ?

I am using Windows 8 but I can't say I like it.

Instead of going forwards I am thinking of going backwards ....I liked Vista and XP  :thumbsup:
No they decided to skip Windows 9.  Probably a blatant piece of number discrimination. 

I thought no one liked Vista.  XP was good but 7 works better - just slower.

Get a 4Gb memory stick, shove it in one of the spare USB ports in the back of the computer then go into properties for that drive. You will see a tab marked Readyboost. Activate it and you should see a performance increase as it will use the drive as extra memory.
:thumbsup: ta will try that

It didn't do a lot for me, I tried it some time ago...  noooo:

Best thing you can do to speed up Window$ is install the operating system on a SSD - they are cheap as chips now....
I couldn't see how an external essentially Flash drive could be faster than an HDD with a cache and less buffers between it and the CPU cache but hey ho

SSD drives seem to still be a bit pricey (the Notebook I mostly use only cost me 120) but they will take over from HDDs soon.  In effect it's what smart phones and tablets already use

no matter how many instances of white swans we may have observed, this does not justify the conclusion that all swans are white.  (Karl Popper)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 04:23:16 PM »
Get a 4Gb memory stick, shove it in one of the spare USB ports in the back of the computer then go into properties for that drive. You will see a tab marked Readyboost. Activate it and you should see a performance increase as it will use the drive as extra memory.
:thumbsup: ta will try that

It didn't do a lot for me, I tried it some time ago...  noooo:

Best thing you can do to speed up Window$ is install the operating system on a SSD - they are cheap as chips now....

I have to admit Readyboost seems to have a more pronounced effect on laptops rather than desktops but if you have a spare memory stick it's worth a try.
You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »
Best bet for speed?

Get a Mac . . .       whistle:
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 06:54:51 PM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »
Just booted up my pc to find a message from Microsoft asking if I want to reserve my free Windows 10 upgrade...  scared2:

If it gets the same offer I may shove it on the laptop for a test as it isn't really being used for anything at the moment...   rubschin:

What's the worst that could happen...  scared2:
You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »
Just booted up my pc to find a message from Microsoft asking if I want to reserve my free Windows 10 upgrade...  scared2:

If it gets the same offer I may shove it on the laptop for a test as it isn't really being used for anything at the moment...   rubschin:

rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 01:46:12 PM »

rubschin:

What's that BM.......you are volunteering to be the guinea pig? That's awfully decent of you old bean...  rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 01:49:42 PM »

rubschin:

What's that BM.......you are volunteering to be the guinea pig? That's awfully decent of you old bean...  rubschin:

I have an owld laptop with Win 7 on it...

...but if Win 10 is going to need even more resources it is a no goer....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 01:51:53 PM »
I'm hoping there is some sort of 'can I run it' application before I start buggering around with my laptop  rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »
I'm hoping there is some sort of 'can I run it' application before I start buggering around with my laptop  rubschin:

I wonder if there will be a 'can Nick run it' application....?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 01:56:59 PM »
 evil:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 02:08:45 PM »

That's hardware not software...

whistle:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »

whistle:

;D ;D

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »

whistle:

lol: lol: lol:

You'd need a few teraflops to consider all possibilities....

...perhaps they could run it on the Met Office supercomputer...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 02:23:21 PM »
They tried that once before, that was the year they buggered up the hurricane forecast  noooo: