Disgusterous

Author Topic: It Gets Worse...  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
It Gets Worse...
« on: February 05, 2009, 10:42:15 AM »
Jail for photographing police?

Quote from: British Journal of Photography
The relationship between photographers and police could worsen next month when new laws are introduced that allow for the arrest - and imprisonment - of anyone who takes pictures of officers 'likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism'.

Set to become law on 16 February, the Counter-Terrorism Act 2008 amends the Terrorism Act 2000 regarding offences relating to information about members of armed forces, a member of the intelligence services, or a police officer.

The new set of rules, under section 76 of the 2008 Act and section 58A of the 2000 Act, will target anyone who 'elicits or attempts to elicit information about (members of armed forces) ... which is of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism'.

A person found guilty of this offence could be liable to imprisonment for up to 10 years, and to a fine.

The law is expected to increase the anti-terrorism powers used today by police officers to stop photographers, including press photographers, from taking pictures in public places. 'Who is to say that police officers won't abuse these powers,' asks freelance photographer Justin Tallis, who was threatened by an officer last week.

Tallis, a London-based photographer, was covering the anti-BBC protest on Saturday 24 January when he was approached by a police officer. Tallis had just taken a picture of the officer, who then asked to see the picture. The photographer refused, arguing that, as a press photographer, he had a right to take pictures of police officers.

According to Tallis, the officer then tried to take the camera away. Before giving up, the officer said that Tallis 'shouldn't have taken that photo, you were intimidating me'. The incident was caught on camera by photojournalist Marc Vallee.

Tallis is a member of the National Union of Journalists and the British Press Photographers' Association. 'The incident lasted just 10 seconds, but you don't expect a police officer to try to pull your camera from your neck,' Tallis tells BJP.

Source

See also Leg-Iron

noooo:

I shall leave my camera here when I come out in May...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: It Gets Worse...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:11:01 AM »
Very wise BM
about two months ago a friend of mine spotted a notice, ungrammatically written, which also managed to directly contradict itself stuck to the doors of the local hospital. So game for a laugh he whipped out his mobile and took a shot of it ~ intending to publish it on Flickr. He was pounced upon by private security officers employed by the hospital who tried to confiscate his phone. He told them in no uncertain terms to feck off.
He collected his wife from the outpatient appointment she had been attending and drove home. One hour later he was surprised to find two police officers from the armed response unit on his doorstep demanding to see the camera phone. The Security Guard had noted his number and reported the matter to plod who, this being Nulabour Britain, over-reacted as usual. My friend told the cops to "get the feck off my doorstep" and they arrested him for obstruction. They then demanded his camera phone. Again he refused to give it to them and told them to get a search warrant, told his wife to contact his solicitor and was taken to the police station where he was questioned for four hours. Eventually the solicitor got him out on police bail. The solicitor then asked the hospital for (i) a copy of their policy regarding photography on the premises (which we all accept falls within the definition of private property) and (ii) a copy of the notice. In response to the first request the hospital was unable to produce any such document relating to photography because they didn't actually have a written policy and on the second they were "unable to find the notice in question".
After ensuring that I had a copy (since returned to him and now with his solicitor) my pal deleted the picture from his phone, went to Carphone Warehouse and got an upgraded (thus "clean") phone and, on the appointed day, answered his bail with his solicitor in tow. A Police Inspector asked him if he would accept a "caution" which the solicitor immediately declined. Police bail was extended by a week and they then once again reported to the Police Station to be informed that the matter was "not being proceeded with". Letters concerning wrongful arrest, infringement of rights etc etc are still flying back and forth.
I should add that my friend is Glaswegian and takes no prisoners!
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »
I am coming to distrust the plod more and more!
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 11:14:37 AM »
Having worked with them (mainly the Met) for many years I have never trusted them.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:32:15 AM »
Very wise BM
about two months ago a friend of mine spotted a notice, ungrammatically written, which also managed to directly contradict itself stuck to the doors of the local hospital. So game for a laugh he whipped out his mobile and took a shot of it ~ intending to publish it on Flickr. He was pounced upon by private security officers employed by the hospital who tried to confiscate his phone. He told them in no uncertain terms to feck off.
He collected his wife from the outpatient appointment she had been attending and drove home. One hour later he was surprised to find two police officers from the armed response unit on his doorstep demanding to see the camera phone. The Security Guard had noted his number and reported the matter to plod who, this being Nulabour Britain, over-reacted as usual. My friend told the cops to "get the feck off my doorstep" and they arrested him for obstruction. They then demanded his camera phone. Again he refused to give it to them and told them to get a search warrant, told his wife to contact his solicitor and was taken to the police station where he was questioned for four hours. Eventually the solicitor got him out on police bail. The solicitor then asked the hospital for (i) a copy of their policy regarding photography on the premises (which we all accept falls within the definition of private property) and (ii) a copy of the notice. In response to the first request the hospital was unable to produce any such document relating to photography because they didn't actually have a written policy and on the second they were "unable to find the notice in question".
After ensuring that I had a copy (since returned to him and now with his solicitor) my pal deleted the picture from his phone, went to Carphone Warehouse and got an upgraded (thus "clean") phone and, on the appointed day, answered his bail with his solicitor in tow. A Police Inspector asked him if he would accept a "caution" which the solicitor immediately declined. Police bail was extended by a week and they then once again reported to the Police Station to be informed that the matter was "not being proceeded with". Letters concerning wrongful arrest, infringement of rights etc etc are still flying back and forth.
It is all just utterly outrageous...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender

Offline Nick

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 02:34:18 PM »
All this kind of stuff feeds my incipient paranoia tbh. I read so much now about surveillance, Jacqui Boot, ID cards, CCTV cameras, police powers and the like that increasingly I feel like I am looking over my shoulder all the time. Good luck if you go. Didn't you get followed home last time?  scared2:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:43:06 PM »
I know what you mean Nick ~ it's enough to keep one awake at night.

Seriously though I've developed a 'them and us' attitude and I don't feel I can trust the police any more.

Offline Nick

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 02:45:59 PM »
A surprising number of people feel likewise, judging by my acquaintances. My cousin was a coppper (Met), he got so disgusted by the things he was asked to do that he took a demotion, moved out of London and spent his time going round schools on a bike doing road safety stuff for kids

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 06:17:07 PM »
Very wise BM

How odd.

I have a lovely photo of the Chief Constable in full regalia at a Lodge meeting and I have never had any trouble from the police whatsoever, for anything, ever.
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 06:45:52 PM »

Our Chief Constable likes to dress up too ~ but it doesn't seem to help

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 07:38:27 PM »
Report to follow (assuming I haven't been incarcerated). The annoyance is that the (IMHO) twat Thomas is allegedly going to be there.

Offline Nick

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 07:50:12 PM »
Thomas?

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair