Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 407141 times)

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #1980 on: February 12, 2016, 09:00:54 PM »
Just watched Spectre...

Terrible, just terrible...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #1981 on: February 12, 2016, 09:40:23 PM »
Been watching the first few episodes of Lucifer on Amazon, quite possibly one of the oddest ideas for a show I've seen in a long time but there is certainly some potential.

Basically the aforementioned prince of darkness has become completely disillusioned with his role as the lord of Hell and decided to jack it all in, ending up in LA where he is happily running a nightclub. This changes one night when an associate of his is gunned down in his arms so he takes it upon himself to work with the police to find the killer. Realising he enjoys what he is doing he then continues working with the detective while trying to figure out why she has had such an effect on him. The show is at its best when Decker and Lucifer are interacting, trying to one up each other and figure the other out. It’s their relationship that grounds this show while also making it enormously entertaining.

Ellis does a good job of making Lucifer someone you'd probably enjoy having a drink with but would more then likely regret the aftermath and the way he deals with some of the more irritating aspects of life will likely raise a laugh. The whole bit about coming back to the club and finding out that someone had stolen his identity and gone on a spending spree was brilliantly done. 

Not sure where they will end up taking it but so far overall I'd say it's worth a look.  Thumbs:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #1982 on: February 12, 2016, 09:59:23 PM »
Just watched Spectre...

Not surprised and ta, that'll save us buying it on PPV later this month.  Something about even the positive reviews indicated it wasn't worth forking out to see it at the cinema.

It'll be free to watch by Christmas, not sure I'll bother even then based on your review.
Well, whatever, nevermind

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #1983 on: February 12, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »
Been watching the first few episodes of Lucifer on Amazon, quite possibly one of the oddest ideas for a show I've seen in a long time but there is certainly some potential.

Basically the aforementioned prince of darkness has become completely disillusioned with his role as the lord of Hell and decided to jack it all in, ending up in LA where he is happily running a nightclub. This changes one night when an associate of his is gunned down in his arms so he takes it upon himself to work with the police to find the killer. Realising he enjoys what he is doing he then continues working with the detective while trying to figure out why she has had such an effect on him. The show is at its best when Decker and Lucifer are interacting, trying to one up each other and figure the other out. It’s their relationship that grounds this show while also making it enormously entertaining.

Ellis does a good job of making Lucifer someone you'd probably enjoy having a drink with but would more then likely regret the aftermath and the way he deals with some of the more irritating aspects of life will likely raise a laugh. The whole bit about coming back to the club and finding out that someone had stolen his identity and gone on a spending spree was brilliantly done. 

Not sure where they will end up taking it but so far overall I'd say it's worth a look.  Thumbs:

:thumbsup:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #1984 on: February 12, 2016, 10:06:16 PM »
Just watched Spectre...

Not surprised and ta, that'll save us buying it on PPV later this month.  Something about even the positive reviews indicated it wasn't worth forking out to see it at the cinema.

It'll be free to watch by Christmas, not sure I'll bother even then based on your review.

It was visually superb in 1080p...

The action stuff (car chases, etc.) has no meaning any more... you have no idea if it was real or created in a computer... So for me it doesn't have that  eeek: any more...

The story, dialogue and acting were terrible IMHO.... That nice Mr. Flemming must be spinning in his grave....  noooo:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #1985 on: February 12, 2016, 10:24:16 PM »

:thumbsup:

http://youtu.be/X4bF_quwNtw

Thumbs:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #1986 on: February 18, 2016, 05:58:58 PM »
Watching Bridge of Spies...  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #1987 on: February 18, 2016, 06:02:14 PM »
Great performance from Rylance!!
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #1988 on: February 18, 2016, 06:06:19 PM »

A sensible comment from you....?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #1989 on: February 18, 2016, 06:08:51 PM »
 angel1

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #1990 on: February 18, 2016, 07:31:39 PM »
Watching Bridge of Spies...  cloud9:

Splendid, simply splendid....  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #1991 on: February 18, 2016, 07:36:07 PM »

Hanks is now the Jimmy Stewart of our day.

I have put baby lotion on my willy  sad24: sad24:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #1992 on: February 18, 2016, 07:37:05 PM »

Hanks is now the Jimmy Stewart of our day.

I have put baby lotion on my willy  sad24: sad24:

That good a film......... rubschin:

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #1993 on: February 18, 2016, 07:37:19 PM »
facepalm:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #1994 on: February 18, 2016, 07:37:56 PM »
 sad24:

It's sore  sad24: sad24: