Disgusterous

Author Topic: Bloody motobility scheme  (Read 8324 times)

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Bloody motobility scheme
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 01:01:10 PM »
My Motability (pauses to let you all blush) vehicle is a Citroen Picasso. Hope that meets with your approval.
Are you allowed to park it on the touchline?
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 01:18:16 PM »
My Motability (pauses to let you all blush) vehicle is a Citroen Picasso. Hope that meets with your approval.

There is a difference between a Motor Car and a Motability Scooter/Invalid Carriage so the answer is no ~ but I do get to park right outside the ground for free. ::)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 02:10:14 PM »
There is a difference between a Motor Car and a Motability Scooter/Invalid Carriage so the answer is no ~ but I do get to park right outside the ground for free. ::)
Only teasing  redface:
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 02:32:03 PM »
I know that you old bugger happy100

Misunderstood

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 12:09:11 PM »

Only if he promises not to hurl abuse at the ref.   whistle:

I have a Motability Citroen too, but it is of limited use lately because I can never find a vacant disable bay to park in and I can't walk from the 'other' bays.

Sadly, it is usually fit young women that fill the parking bays, they'll only be a 'tick'. The average 'tick' seems to last about 45 minutes.   So I have got myself a scooter and so I can go more or less where I want and more importantly, take my chair with me.

Trouble with that is the amazing amount of people, not looking where they are going, just walk straight into it then try to blame me.   What IS the best way of scrubbing bloodstains off plastic?   ;)

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 12:12:49 PM »

Only if he promises not to hurl abuse at the ref.   whistle:

I have a Motability Citroen too, but it is of limited use lately because I can never find a vacant disable bay to park in and I can't walk from the 'other' bays.

Sadly, it is usually fit young women that fill the parking bays, they'll only be a 'tick'. The average 'tick' seems to last about 45 minutes.   So I have got myself a scooter and so I can go more or less where I want and more importantly, take my chair with me.

Trouble with that is the amazing amount of people, not looking where they are going, just walk straight into it then try to blame me.   What IS the best way of scrubbing bloodstains off plastic?  ;)

Don't bother! Wear it as a badge of honour - at least it'll act as a warning to 'em!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 12:15:51 PM »
I've been considering one of those ~ trouble is I don't want to admit how limited my mobility is. Some days are better than others and I always use the good days as an excuse that I may get better. ::) Stupid vanity really.

Misunderstood

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2007, 02:31:04 PM »
I've been considering one of those ~ trouble is I don't want to admit how limited my mobility is. Some days are better than others and I always use the good days as an excuse that I may get better. ::) Stupid vanity really.

I felt like that to start with, after all I can walk some and I felt a bit of a fraud riding around like I was crippled.  But the advantage of never being stuck for somewhere to sit down won the day, I had been waiting in line at the chemist for my script and there were three chairs - occupied by a woman and her two kids plus about half a ton of toys - I was tottering on the point of collapse when one of the staff brought another out for me.

The squatters in the chairs didn't even notice anything had happened despite all the grumbling and scowls of everybody else around.  Me?  I am embarrassed to be needing a chair let alone demand one.  cry:

So, the scooter duly arrived and now I feel quite comfortable on it and quite independent too - and it fits in the back of the car for longer trips so I get to go out more.

Trouble is... I want two now.  One small one to go local and in the car and one big one to go hammering up to town without bothering with the car at all, thus saving all the aggro of trying to park.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2007, 09:10:32 AM »
Thanks for that Bouncer ~ it makes me feel much better about the situation. I have thought about it overnight and decided to visit my local Shopmobility next week where I am told I can "borrow" a scooter for a day to try it out. They will, apparently, also let me borrow/hire (not sure which) a scooter for a week when I go on holiday. Since we are on hols in Dorset in October that might be a good trial to see how I get on with one. With 3 kids we do take a bit of luggage so the practicalities of carrying that plus a scooter in the car boot is one I need to resolve. The upcoming week in t'south seems an ideal opportunity.
I have been checking them out on the net this morning and the "user weight restriction" rules out the smaller ones so I think I do need to try out a couple at Shopmobility and take some advice.
Did you buy yours new? I ask because the same outfit offer recons to purchase at very low rates. Natch I have used my total Motability allowance for the Citroen so will have to fund the scooter myself thus am interested in saving by going for a recon if indeed that would represent a real saving and not just a short term cash flow easement.

Misunderstood

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 03:12:38 AM »
Sorry I caught something off Sicknote and spend yesterday in bed.  cry:

Odd story coming up.  I originally purchased a second-hand scooter in excellent nick for ?200, it was impressive BUT it was a three wheeler and I found it a bit unstable especially when mounting curbs and slopes.

A few days later, we happened to look at a community notice board and saw an ad asking to change a four wheel scooter for a three wheeler.  It was just around the corner and turned out to be someone I knew slightly and he said he had bought his wife a new one but she wouldn't use it!   So she tried out mine and declared she loved it. 3 wheels are more 'nippy', I tried hers and loved it and suggested we swapped for a week to try them out.

We agreed that we wanted to swap and I started wondering about the difference in value but he insisted on a straight swap so I ended up with a virtually new one with paperwork for nearly ?2000.   eeek:

Anyway, as mentioned I decided I wanted a big class C one too and was looking around the shops and the prices ranged from ?2500 to about ?6000 which I thought was expensive then I came across a supplier on the net http://www.factoryoutletscooters.co.uk/index.php and found exactly what I had been looking for for ?1295 new and delivered.  The local prices was ?3675 so I figure there is an enormous margin on them and to shop around.

The one I swapped for with the ?2000 tag, I could have bought there for ?650.  Lesson learnt!   I didn't mention it to him - I figured he probably wouldn't really want to know.

Things that matter.   Some scooters are designed to snap apart easily into several bits and nest into the boot taking up very little space. range varies a lot, don't settle for less than 15 miles.  Lights would be nice if you use it in the dark and plastic seats make you sweat.  Group B are not to be used on the road except to cross it and they are limited to 4mph.   

It is not unusual to rent them for holidays and at some national parks and wildlife parks you can rent ones that are all-terrain monsters that'll take you up mountains.   eeek:

If you need any more info - ask!

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 09:47:16 AM »
It is not unusual to rent them for holidays and at some national parks and wildlife parks you can rent ones that are all-terrain monsters that'll take you up mountains.   eeek:

What a splendid image!  You're not contemplating doing a Steve McQueen are you?  ;)
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2007, 10:09:47 AM »

What a splendid image!  You're not contemplating doing a Steve McQueen are you?  ;)

No ~ but now you mention it  whistle:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2007, 02:52:32 PM »
No ~ but now you mention it  whistle:

Go on, you know you want to...  ;)

Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Misunderstood

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »
Yes you're right...

Here's something to be going on with....

http://www.tramper.co.uk/stoppress.htm

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
I am visiting the local shop mobility this coming week for some trial runs. They say they will loan me a used machine for a couple of days to see how I get on with it.

Look out Rhyl: