Author Topic: Bloody motobility scheme  (Read 8339 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Bloody motobility scheme
« on: July 25, 2007, 11:45:05 AM »
More like a bloody scam than a scheme ffs. evil:

Did you know for instance, that a 16 year old can learn to drive if he/she is on the scheme, everything bar patrol/diesel paid for...including a guarenteed eye watering insurance premium?
Did you also know that a motobilty customer... who is 'alledgedly' disabled, only some it seems are 'playing the system' shock and horror  eeek:...can now get their fat lazy arses into a 20+k Mazda RX8 sports car for about ?500 deposit I think he said!!! eeek:

I appreciate that some customers are genuinely disabled and worthy, but my my bessy mate who works as the main 'Motobilty adviser' for a main franchised dealer, assures me that many are not.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:46:56 AM by GROWLER »

degsy

Re: Bloody motobility scheme
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 07:06:21 PM »
Mazda RX8!! I can't even even get into one of those! What sort of bad back have they got? ::)

Berek

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:52:15 AM »
its time anyone wanting a car on mobility was given one of those little pale blue spastic chariots like they used to have. ( Often seen by the side of football pitches in the 70's )

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 09:11:31 AM »
Mazda RX8!! I can't even even get into one of those! What sort of bad back have they got? ::)

My sentiments entirely Degs.
Most motobility customers are classed as disabled by virtue of the fact that they find it difficult getting around (the whole point of the scheme I thought)....bad back, dodgy legs etc, so how in gods name can these same people be expected to stoop right down and manouver themselves into one of them, or possibly even more difficult and also on the scheme for a very minimal deposit, an MX5?
I had to work on one recently, and had to whistle on of the mechanics over to help me out.
I'd still have one mind. ;)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 09:15:53 AM »
My Motability (pauses to let you all blush) vehicle is a Citroen Picasso. Hope that meets with your approval.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:16:23 AM »
its time anyone wanting a car on mobility was given one of those little pale blue spastic chariots like they used to have. ( Often seen by the side of football pitches in the 70's )
Indeed?

And do you remember that if you went anywhere by train there always seemed to be another train loaded up with the bloody things? Presumably they had to make thousands and thousands of them to replace the ones that fell-over and broke on just about any gentle curve in the road?

I don?t think we should condemn every disabled person to one of those again but common sense should surely prevail on the range of vehicles allowed?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 09:19:16 AM »
BTW it isn't only bad backs you know. Blind people are eligible for Motability Scheme vehicles  eeek:
Now that is a worry!

Yes I know they qualify so that someone else can drive them about.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 09:19:24 AM »

No Begsy. They were a bloody hazard on the road, and a target for local arse wipes to tip over whilst standing at traffic lights.

The scheme should be restricted to Renault Scenic type cars, which are in fact already exceedingly popular amongst the disabled fraternity due to ease of access.
The problem with the scheme is that a disabled person can NOMINATE a driver to drive the car for them if they as the disabled person can't.
This has lead to 17 year olds driving around in fairly high performance cars virtually cost free with the occassional trip to Asda with disabled mom.
I know this happens, as I have to try and eradicate the spliff burns off the seats following jolly little trips out with their mateys.
Make my piss instantly combust. evil:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 09:26:15 AM »
My Motability (pauses to let you all blush) vehicle is a Citroen Picasso. Hope that meets with your approval.

Actually Snoops, they are a damned good motor. Even the Citroen mechanics reckon they are one of the best and most trouble free motors they've had for quite some time.
I had one back in 2000. Used it for work and completed 46k in just under 3 years. Never had to take it back for anything serious. Did plenty of whinging to Citroen HQ about the dire reflections of the dashboard onto the screen though, which they eventually did a darker colour change on I was pleased to note.
Sadly, the current 'old' model will be finishing shortly. The new one has far too much electrical nonsense on it.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 09:28:18 AM »

No Begsy. They were a bloody hazard on the road, and a target for local arse wipes to tip over whilst standing at traffic lights.

The scheme should be restricted to Renault Scenic type cars, which are in fact already exceedingly popular amongst the disabled fraternity due to ease of access.
The problem with the scheme is that a disabled person can NOMINATE a driver to drive the car for them if they as the disabled person can't.
This has lead to 17 year olds driving around in fairly high performance cars virtually cost free with the occassional trip to Asda with disabled mom.
I know this happens, as I have to try and eradicate the spliff burns off the seats following jolly little trips out with their mateys.
Make my piss instantly combust. evil:

You are right Growler ~ the "owner" of the vehicle can nominate two drivers other than themselves. Of course it is a condition of the contract hire (for that is what it is) that the insurance covers only journeys made with or on behalf of the disabled person. Thus My wife is covered to use my car to go shopping or to take my children to school but she would be uninsured to use it to go for a night out with the girls or to go to work ~ unless I could convince the insurance company that she was actually doing so for my benefit. They keep stressing the use to which the vehicles may be put in their regular update letters to all customers and are getting quite hot about misuse. Same as Blue badges in some areas whereas other councils allow any bugger to use on. The Blue badge has the owners photograph on it and this does not show when the badge is displayed in the vehicle but traffic wardens etc can ask to see the card and mine has been checked twice recently.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 09:30:13 AM »

Actually Snoops, they are a damned good motor. Even the Citroen mechanics reckon they are one of the best and most trouble free motors they've had for quite some time.
I had one back in 2000. Used it for work and completed 46k in just under 3 years. Never had to take it back for anything serious. Did plenty of whinging to Citroen HQ about the dire reflections of the dashboard onto the screen though, which they eventually did a darker colour change on I was pleased to note.
Sadly, the current 'old' model will be finishing shortly. The new one has far too much electrical nonsense on it.

Have to say I am very pleased with mine ~ 'specially as the one I had before was a Zafira. The Zafira was OK but I never felt comfortable in it ... too van like I felt, whereas the Citroen, even with all its gadgets, is a pleasure to drive.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »

Have to say I am very pleased with mine ~ 'specially as the one I had before was a Zafira. The Zafira was OK but I never felt comfortable in it ... too van like I felt, whereas the Citroen, even with all its gadgets, is a pleasure to drive.
Did the Zafira come with those two fat kids?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 09:41:37 AM »

Indeed, and funny you should say that.
Most Zafiras DO actually have 2 fat kids fitted as standard equipment straight from the factory. eeek:

Berek

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 09:56:34 AM »
One of the fellas in the asylum I work in has a new car, it is set up for him to drive, automatic gearbox, automatic handbrake !!!!, all computerised... trouble is, he has the mental age of a 4 year old so he cant drive it, because HE CANT DRIVE !!!!!, so we drive it, its a bloody nightmare

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 10:01:31 AM »

Please assume Yorkshire accent:

"I were married t'lass from Sheffield for twenty years. Her family spoke and behave just like those fat kids (though to be fair they were not themselves fat) but t'attitudes and t'mannerisms were exactly t'same. It were like t'mixed marriage. They dint understand me nor me them.

Back to normal southern accent ~ If those bloody kids had appeared with my car I'd have run the buggers over.
They, above all else, were what decided me to make the change. I kept seeing them in the rear view mirror  shocked003