Disgusterous

Author Topic: 1.0 TB Hard Drive for ?333  (Read 11519 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: 1.0 TB Hard Drive for ?333
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2007, 03:06:02 PM »
I broke the terrabyte barrier ages ago  eyes:

I'll see your external drive and raise you a nested network data store.    whistle:

I thought Wench had a box of cables anyway and was therefore 'in'.
I bet you didn't pay ?249.00 for it tho!  point:
http://www.iomega-europe.com/item?SID=e53d6b965abdd47c566660492f429ec2244:4740&sku=131133821
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Misunderstood

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2007, 03:27:38 PM »
I broke the terrabyte barrier ages ago  eyes:

I'll see your external drive and raise you a nested network data store.    whistle:

I thought Wench had a box of cables anyway and was therefore 'in'.
I bet you didn't pay ?249.00 for it tho!  point:
http://www.iomega-europe.com/item?SID=e53d6b965abdd47c566660492f429ec2244:4740&sku=131133821

Very true.    I had to stump up VAT   cry:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2007, 03:28:08 PM »
Do you also collect stamps? Own an anorak? Have a little note book full of engine numbers?  whistle:

Sad techno geeks own things like external hard drives and have their pcs networked and talk about hubs and bandwidth.

Bet he has all those! 
redface: I am not a sad techno geek,  rubschin:, I hope, yet I have all of the above and more, how else do you back up several computers,  use them in the garden or anywhere else in or on the property, share files with others, or download huge files at the speed of light?  cloud9:

Uhmmmmm! Well first I don't have a need to do those things and second it don't matter what kit you've got.... you are still only as fast as your local exchange and nothing will tweak mine to over 56Mbs until they upgrade it ~ 'prolly in several years times.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Sour Puss

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2007, 04:11:25 PM »

Uhmmmmm! Well first I don't have a need to do those things and second it don't matter what kit you've got.... you are still only as fast as your local exchange and nothing will tweak mine to over 56Mbs until they upgrade it ~ 'prolly in several years times.

whistle:  I had a similar problem..., did a lot of research, found an unbundled exchange and move in next door.  cloud9:
I wanted to mover further when I discovered the speeds they can get in the Far East, but someone stood on my tail.  sad24:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2007, 04:14:19 PM »
It doesn't really matter to me ~ I only type with three fingers anyway. redface:

Misunderstood

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2007, 06:34:30 PM »
Do you also collect stamps? Own an anorak? Have a little note book full of engine numbers?  whistle:

Sad techno geeks own things like external hard drives and have their pcs networked and talk about hubs and bandwidth.

Bet he has all those! 
redface: I am not a sad techno geek,  rubschin:, I hope, yet I have all of the above and more, how else do you back up several computers,  use them in the garden or anywhere else in or on the property, share files with others, or download huge files at the speed of light?  cloud9:

Actually, 56Mbps is a pretty decent speed to have.

........ unless you meant 56Kbps of course........ rubschin:

As for the three finger typing, it's still ahead of my two finger 'hunt and peck' technique.    cry:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2007, 08:32:22 PM »
It doesn't really matter to me ~ I only type with three fingers anyway. redface:

Is that just half the fingers on each hand?
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2007, 09:07:53 AM »

Bet he has all those! 

As for the three finger typing, it's still ahead of my two finger 'hunt and peck' technique.    cry:

I just looked again. The little message that shows when I hover over the wireless icon at the bottom of the screen says 54Mpbs today.

As for Darwin's comment it is really two fingers, One from each hand and a thumb for the space bar.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2007, 09:23:25 AM »

Bet he has all those! 

I just looked again. The little message that shows when I hover over the wireless icon at the bottom of the screen says 54Mpbs today.
Unfortunately, that is only the speed between your laptop and the wireless router?  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2007, 10:18:56 AM »

Bet he has all those! 

Unfortunately, that is only the speed between your laptop and the wireless router?  whistle:

I never claimed to be a geek but no amount of kit is going to improve it UNTIL the exchange is unbundled ~ is it evil:

Misunderstood

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2007, 11:07:32 PM »
Dunno  -  Depends what speed the modem is operating at (at the line connection not the wireless link).

Check it out with this:   http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2007, 06:49:26 AM »
Or this one...

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I always use Chicago for consistency?

For comparison, my ADSL service here gives 356kbps down and 31kbps up.

My cheapest satellite service is 512kbpos down and about 350kbps up.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2007, 08:47:26 AM »
Define 'cheapest'?
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2007, 08:53:46 AM »
Define 'cheapest'?

Least expensive

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
Re: 1.0 TB Hard Drive for €333
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2007, 08:56:28 AM »
Dunno  -  Depends what speed the modem is operating at (at the line connection not the wireless link).

Check it out with this:   http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Using Bouncer's recommendation =

Communications 1 megabits per second
Storage 126.9 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 8.1 seconds
Subjective rating Good
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 09:00:13 AM by Snoopy »