Author Topic: Baby Gaga  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Baby Gaga
« on: March 01, 2011, 09:11:45 PM »
Apart from Nick, is there anyone here who would pay £14 for ice cream made from breast milk and served with a rusk and a topping of calpol or bonjela?

Ice cream made from breast milk has been removed from a central London restaurant on health grounds following complaints by members of the public.

The dessert, called Baby Gaga, went on sale at ice cream parlour Icecreamists in Covent Garden in February.

But Westminster Council officers removed the product to make sure it was "fit for human consumption".

Icecreamist founder Matt O'Connor said the donor was medically screened and the milk mixture was pasteurised.

The ice cream was churned with donations from London mother Victoria Hiley, and served with a rusk and an optional shot of Calpol or Bonjela. Each serving costs £14.

Westminster council said it had received two complaints from members of the public and concerns were raised by the Health Protection Agency and Food Standards Agency.

Tory Westminster Councillor Brian Connell said: "Selling foodstuffs made from another person's bodily fluids can lead to viruses being passed on and, in this case, potentially hepatitis.

"As the local authority we will support small businesses and applaud innovative ideas wherever possible, but must protect the health of consumers."

Mr O'Connor, said: "We have had an amazing response - many women have come forward and offer to give us milk.

"You can buy alcohol and tobacco but not breast milk in Westminster.

"If Westminster bans this then I am going to begin a protest with mums who have already shown support."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
Re: Baby Gaga
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:38:01 AM »
Apart from Nick, is there anyone here who would pay £14 for ice cream made from breast milk and served with a rusk and a topping of calpol or bonjela?

Ice cream made from breast milk has been removed from a central London restaurant on health grounds following complaints by members of the public.

The dessert, called Baby Gaga, went on sale at ice cream parlour Icecreamists in Covent Garden in February.

But Westminster Council officers removed the product to make sure it was "fit for human consumption".

Icecreamist founder Matt O'Connor said the donor was medically screened and the milk mixture was pasteurised.

The ice cream was churned with donations from London mother Victoria Hiley, and served with a rusk and an optional shot of Calpol or Bonjela. Each serving costs £14.

Westminster council said it had received two complaints from members of the public and concerns were raised by the Health Protection Agency and Food Standards Agency.

Tory Westminster Councillor Brian Connell said: "Selling foodstuffs made from another person's bodily fluids can lead to viruses being passed on and, in this case, potentially hepatitis.

"As the local authority we will support small businesses and applaud innovative ideas wherever possible, but must protect the health of consumers."

Mr O'Connor, said: "We have had an amazing response - many women have come forward and offer to give us milk.

"If Westminster bans this then I am going to begin a protest with mums who have already shown support."

I wouldn't pay stupid money for it, but I have always wondered why the idea of breast milk is such such a vomit-inducing idea to the general public.

They seem quite happy to drink milk from teats that have been chewed by the offspring of cows, sheep, goats etc.

Not to mention soaked in animal poo and wee every day.

Shrugs:
I mostly despair

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »

I wouldn't pay stupid money for it, but I have always wondered why the idea of breast milk is such such a vomit-inducing idea to the general public.

They seem quite happy to drink milk from teats that have been chewed by the offspring of cows, sheep, goats etc.

Shrugs:

Yes, but surely not all farmers share your bizarre fetish Darwin...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »

Shrugs:

You will never know. . .

Enjoy your cornflakes.   whistle:
I mostly despair

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:05:28 AM »

Shrugs:

You will never know. . .

Enjoy your cornflakes.   whistle:

sick2:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: