Author Topic: O.S maps  (Read 7959 times)

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
O.S maps
« on: July 13, 2007, 09:34:26 PM »
Talking about navigation, has anyone come across any maps from any country that can come even remotely being as good as the O.S. series?

I know I / we rant about this country of ours being shite, but I have to admit we have got something right. They are brilliant. cloud9:

Some smart arse is going to come along now and tell us that they are owned by the Gerrrrrrmans or Yanks or something aren't they? sad32:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
Re: O.S maps
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:38:06 PM »
Ahhh there really are geeks of all varieties aren't there.  point:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:44:21 PM »
Ahhh there really are geeks of all varieties aren't there.  point:

GO AWAY you annoying woman.  ::)
This is 'MANS' talk.
Have you never used an O.S map ey? Obviously not judging by your TYPICAL wummany comment. doh:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 08:58:16 AM »
I love OS map[s. I sometimes just pore over them looking for signs of ancient artefacts. On a Geog field trip once two class swots did a project to discover a minor error in the OS map of the North Yorks Moors. They were thirilled to discover an inaccurately mapped bend in a stream. We all thought they were saddos. point:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 09:02:01 AM »
I love OS map[s. I sometimes just pore over them looking for signs of ancient artefacts.

Have you found Snoopy on there yet then? eatdrink013

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 09:03:41 AM »
Great maps...  When I left school (1971) I wanted to work as a surveyor with them. I had a couple of interviews but unfortunately of all things I failed the eyesight test. They used steroscopic viewers on aeiral photos and I couldn't interpret heights correctly.  cry:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 09:30:44 AM »
Great maps...  When I left school (1971) I wanted to work as a surveyor with them. I had a couple of interviews but unfortunately of all things I failed the eyesight test. They used steroscopic viewers on aeiral photos and I couldn't interpret heights correctly.  cry:

Funnily enough, so did I.
Like Nick, I pore over them admiring the sheer hard work, detail, accuracy, and simple fascination of them. Better than reading a book imo.
Works of art.
I always purchase the copy of an area I've not visited before. Must have about 40 of them now, mostly out of date now though.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 09:32:43 AM by GROWLER »

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 10:12:11 AM »
I love OS map[s. I sometimes just pore over them looking for signs of ancient artefacts. On a Geog field trip once two class swots did a project to discover a minor error in the OS map of the North Yorks Moors. They were thirilled to discover an inaccurately mapped bend in a stream. We all thought they were saddos. point:

Every map maker puts in an error or two. Just minor ones that do not effect the use of the map ~ that way they can prove copyright. I'd have expected you to know that. ::)
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 11:39:47 AM »
I didn't. It is something I have done with footnotes to catch out plagiarists. That Professor X in London won't be doing that again!!
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 11:59:40 AM »
I didn't. It is something I have done with footnotes to catch out plagiarists. That Professor X in London won't be doing that again!!

There are whole non existent streets in the London A to Z.
Can be quite confusing when entering the new Docklands area to discover that the A to Z tells you there is a road when it is actually a dead end footpath (a blind alley in fact).
I believe the A to Z publishers do this with all their books.

Our local Business Assoc had a map of the village done up as a postcard and it was cheaper to get someone to draw it for us than pay copyright to the OS so that's the route we took. When the proofs came through for approval we spotted two spelling errors ~ very plausible deliberate miss-spellings of local sites of interest and when we queried them we were told they were the "copyright protectors". We had paid for copyright only for 5000 postcards ~ any further use of the map could then be identified.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 12:16:43 PM »
Reading all that Snoops, about copyright stuff, where do I stand having a map in the 'location' section on my web site and any stationery I have printed?
Can I use google earth instead of O.S., or would I still be hung drawn and quartered if they found out I was using their maps, and what's the likelyhood of them finding out anyway?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 01:06:56 PM »
Reading all that Snoops, about copyright stuff, where do I stand having a map in the 'location' section on my web site and any stationery I have printed?
Can I use google earth instead of O.S., or would I still be hung drawn and quartered if they found out I was using their maps, and what's the likelyhood of them finding out anyway?

Either do a hand drawn sketch map of the area or pay to use one of the many on-line map services to be safe.
If you try to set an OS map on your site you will find that it will not "copy" ~ I know 'cos I tried. Somehow they have locked them so that no pay = no map. All estate agents use maps on their sites. Google local estate agents find one with a map you like and that suits your purpose and contact the people that supply the estate agents (their name and details will be on the map page) and see what deal they offer you.
Get it right and Robert will become your father's brother!

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2007, 04:02:28 PM »

Well if you start handing out maps with the starship enterprise somewhere on them odds are they will figure out you are using goggle earth  point:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 04:17:20 PM »

Why not have a link to Streetfinder or Multimap with the postcode ??
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 06:27:33 PM »

Why not have a link to Streetfinder or Multimap with the postcode ??

That was more or less what I suggested but couldn't remember the names hence the suggestion of looking at an Estate Agent's site.