Author Topic: Sat Nav/Tom Tom  (Read 7568 times)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
Sat Nav/Tom Tom
« on: July 13, 2007, 09:30:31 AM »
How much does a decentish one cost?

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Re: Sat Nav/Tom Tom
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »
How much does a decentish one cost?

Under 200 quid now.
Do a check around all the usual suspects for price comparisons, and check out the competition too...Marlin etc...and whatever you do...DO NOT LEAVE IT IN THE CAR OR ON DISPLAY.......EVER
Scallies are hanging around car parks watching self conscious security minded people placing their sat nav systems in the boot.
1. Always remove said device from windscreen BEFORE entering a car park/whatever, and...
2,. Always clean off the tell tale suction pad mark from the windscreen too.

If you must put it in the boot, cover it up whilst carrying it.

These devices are currently the main reason for car break ins....I should know...apparently. ::)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 09:41:06 AM »
Are they worth having? Are they actually any good? Or a waste of money?

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:51:40 AM »

I've found my Tom Tom invaluable on many occassions. Especially good if you're on your own, not having to stop all the time to look at the map/A-Z.

They aren't fool proof, and they will occassionally give out slightly dodgy info.
I tapped in a postcode once for a remote house out in the Shropshire country side, and it sent me into a field full of sheep...2 miles from where I should have been. lol:

Generally speaking though, yes, get one. If you travel europe, you need that mapping too, so don't forget to ask. They haven't all got it as standard.

Tom Tom is very good, and the latest model is slimmer than the one I've got too.
After market service is apparently pretty poor so I've read. Never had to contact them myself though, so I can't confirm that.
Updates available on line.

Do the usual googling and product searches before purchase to find the one that suits you best.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 09:54:14 AM by GROWLER »

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 10:04:24 AM »
They aren't fool proof, and they will occassionally give out slightly dodgy info.
I tapped in a postcode once for a remote house out in the Shropshire country side, and it sent me into a field full of sheep...2 miles from where I should have been. lol:

I think thats to do with how up to date the maps are, I had a lift off a friend a couple of days ago and his satnav was throwing one hell of a tantum as the new bypass hadnt been added in and it thought we were going across a field  lol:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 10:05:36 AM »
I used to use mine all the time ? awesome.

Not only finding your way, you can tap in ?petrol station? or other point of interest and it will take you to the nearest. Saved my bacon one night when I was running on fumes? happy088
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 10:10:31 AM »

I think thats to do with how up to date the maps are, I had a lift off a friend a couple of days ago and his satnav was throwing one hell of a tantum as the new bypass hadnt been added in and it thought we were going across a field  lol:

Yup. Stoke on Trent is particulary dodgy on my TomTom since they recently finished all the new Ring road network.
 Has me literally 'flying' over where the roundabouts have been replaced by underpass's.
Go for it Wenchy. You can get loads of different voices speaking to you too to keep you company.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 10:19:09 AM »
Thanks gentleman.

It's for Mr Wench's birthday present. He has his driving test in a few weeks and if he passes a car will be purchased very swiftly and I thought that this would be a good pressie.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 10:27:23 AM »
Thanks gentleman.

It's for Mr Wench's birthday present. He has his driving test in a few weeks and if he passes a car will be purchased very swiftly and I thought that this would be a good pressie.
Get one with European maps available and you can drive down to see us!  cloud9:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
Thanks gentleman.

Bloody hell. Mr Wenchy only 17 you little cradle snatcher you. eeek:

Would indeed be a very nice gesture that.

IIRC I got a fluffy steering wheel cover when I passed me test. ::)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 10:33:19 AM »
Mr Wench will be turning 30.  redface: Driving was never a priority.  redface:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 10:54:43 AM »

Most unusual for a geezer. eeek:

He'll have a great deal of wheel spinning and blinging to catch up on then. ::)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 11:04:09 AM »

Doesn't drive, no box of cables. He isn't what you could call your typical bloke.  lol:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 11:16:09 AM »

Doesn't drive, no box of cables. He isn't what you could call your typical bloke.  lol:

Unlike us lot in 'ere then? ::)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 01:23:19 PM »
Personally I have always decried the need for/use of Sat Nav devices on the grounds that I know where I am going and if I don't the AA will give me a perfectly good route (or choice of routes if I ask) to anywhere in Europe.
Perhaps having spent years in sales, driving upwards of 50K miles pa I know most roads anyway but unless I am looking for a specific address in a town I still do not need ?200 worth of kit to misdirect me on the best route from ...... say Runcorn to Hereford and thence to London. Central and North London I know so well that I never get lost anyway ~ 'though I confess I'm not so hot South of the River .... but who the f*ck wants to go there anyway?
As for Wales .... Sat Nav a waste of time 'cos it doesn't speak the language see.
I can understand why you would see such a boy toy as a good gift for passing his test (if he does) but he doesn't come over as that sort of a bloke. Probably be happier if you bought him a good dinner and yourself some sexy undies.  eyes:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.