Disgusterous

Author Topic: wanty wanty!  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: wanty wanty!
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 01:40:19 PM »
Sorry but the more problems I hear about with the iphone the more I laugh ~ mainly because the arse that is father to the BF of the THW swears that he knows all things technical and believes that if something is made by Apple then it has to be the best there is ~ which we all know is bollocks. Oh and I suspect he is left handed too.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/199853/apple_responds_to_iphone_4_antenna_problem.html?tk=hp_pop
Apple's iPhone 4 signal problems have been the source of a barrage of complaints by customers complaining of a faulty antenna and now Steve Jobs has broken the silence. In an e-mail Jobs downplayed users' reception gripes as a "non-issue." Meanwhile, others within Apple are advising iPhone 4 users to avoid gripping the device from the lower left corner.

As the first batch of iPhone 4 smartphones reached the market on Thursday, several users reported that they are having poor reception issues with their new device when holding the phone by its metal sides in two opposite places.

The metal bands surrounding the sides of the iPhone 4 also acts as antennas for the device, and the signal drop problem seems to appear when a user touches both of the black lines on the phone's metal sides towards the bottom, according to corroborated users reports.

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone," reads an official Apple statement on Thursday.

"If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases," the statement concludes.

Jobs also replied to a few complaints sent to his e-mail inbox. One MacRumors reader asked Jobs what is going to be done about the signal dropping issue, and the Apple CEO replied in his typical brief manner: "Non issue. Just avoid holding it in that way."

Spencer Webb, an antenna designer, explains on his blog that the iPhone 4 has two symmetrical slots in the metal frame, which when covered, will affect antenna performance. "There is no way around this, it's a design compromise that is forced by the requirements of the FCC, AT&T, Apple's marketing department and Apple's industrial designers, to name a few," Webb wrote.

Apple currently sells a $29 rubber "Bumper Case" for the iPhone 4 (pictured above), which covers only the sides of the device, something that made Mashable's Barb Dybwad ask whether this indicates that Apple already knew about the potential reception issues with the phone.

PCWorld also did its own tests of iPhone 4 signal and took the new phone for a spin in San Francisco alongside an iPhone 3GS. PCWorld was able to replicate the signal problems when covering the bottom left edge of the phone, something that did not occur when the phone was laid flat on a table with the antenna untouched.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »
Thankfully I am normal although |I have no desire to purchase an iPhone...  whistle:

You are Not normal, you are merely in a majority, Mr Righty
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 03:08:10 PM »
Thankfully I am normal although |I have no desire to purchase an iPhone...  whistle:

You are Not normal, you are merely in a majority, Mr Righty

And you are in a sad minority Mr. Ginger Lefty!  point:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »
evil: evil: evil: evil:

It wouldnt matter if it was designed for left or right handed people Nick, you would still gub it within an hour of getting one.  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 04:53:04 PM »
From what I hear and read the latest Apple Tablets and iPhones come pre-gubbed.  whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Online Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »
True hound, but there is no gubbage like Nick gubbage.  whistle:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.