Disgusterous

Author Topic: BM's All New "Ouch that's another skinned knuckle" Mini Restoration Thread  (Read 235300 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Hey Growler, how do you fancy giving me a 'and wiv this little project like...?  whistle:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Hey Growler, how do you fancy giving me a 'and wiv this little project like...?  whistle:

I had one just like that! It came with Dunlop Denovo runflats and I changed them for white 8 spoke Wellers. LCB exhaust and bigger carb, it went like a rocket. Unfortunately it went like a rocket straight into a big tree  redface:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Hey Growler, how do you fancy giving me a 'and wiv this little project like...?  whistle:

1275GT?
Bronze yellow was THE colour for them.  cloud9:

Very desirable and rare now, and increasing in value all the time. happy088
Absolute bloody PIG to werk on though, especially in the rust dept. scared2:

How many miles it done? Left or correct hand drive? Looks like a RH from the piccy I think. You bought it or considering?

Can only be an appreciating  asset that. ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:33:17 AM by GROWLER »

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Yup - I remember the rust. The A-pillars in particular.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Hey Growler, how do you fancy giving me a 'and wiv this little project like...?  whistle:

1275GT?
Bronze yellow was THE colour for them.  cloud9:

Very desirable and rare now, and increasing in value all the time. happy088
Absolute bloody PIG to werk on though, especially in the rust dept. scared2:

How many miles it done? Left or correct hand drive? Looks like a RH from the piccy I think. You bought it or considering?

Can only be an appreciating  asset that. ;)

It is a 1973 model, RHD but haven't seen it yet... might have a look this week - here is the sellers description...

Here?s an opportunity for a classic car fans. I have reluctantly decided that I?m never going to finish my beloved Mini project, so it?s time for it to find a new home.

The car is in need of restoration work, but isn?t suffering from anything terminal and for a keen enthusiast (with more time than me!), it has the makings of a great little classic.

It?s a Cyprus car and is one of the early 1275GT?s, which was introduced as a replacement for the Mini Cooper. As such, it has the Cooper S braking system that is extremely rare and allows you to keep the tiny 10? wheels (thus retaining the handling) but with strong braking.

The worst thing about the car is that it needs welding in the driver?s footwell area and sills, and some around the back end. It?s not horrendous and wouldn?t be a massive project.

The engine and gearbox are sound. Last year the head was completely rebuilt with new valves, guides and seats (hardened for unleaded), and a reconned radiator was fitted with new hoses. A new coil, points etc were fitted.

I?ve got a lot of spares with the car, including a Stage 1 kit (Maniflow exhaust with LCB manifold, heated inlet manifold, K & N filter, etc), plus new brake discs, drums, studs, hoses, and a servo rebuild kit. The car currently has 10? Revolution alloys on it that need fixing up ? I also have 4 original 10? rostyles, which again will need a good clean.

The exterior is passable from a distance but it will need a respray and the interior will need retrimming. The buyer also gets an old regular Mini that?s had its day but has a reasonable interior and might be a useful donor.

The car was last taxed up until the end of 2008 ? and I was silly enough to think I?d get it back up and running, so never officially took it off the road. Therefore some back tax will need paying once it?s sorted. It won?t be horrendous though as it?s only a 1.3 engine.

I?ve been as honest as I can about the car. As a Mini nut, I would dearly love to have it back on the road myself but it?s ever going to happen, so someone else might as well have the chance to get a very rare car back where it should be. And it is very rare? have a look online at 1275GTs with 10-inch wheels and you?ll see what I mean. It took me ages to find it!

Given its ?project? status, I can?t hope to get back anywhere near what the GT has cost me. But anyone that knows Minis will know that this is an unusual find. So, being realistic, I?m looking for ?700 for the car, the spares, and the other spare car. And no, I will not split! The cars will need to be trailered away. Located near Larnaca.

What do you think for ?700...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
Bargain.

Offline Nick

Rust bucket  noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Going to see it Thursday...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
If you have the time to do the work it is hard to see how you could not make money or at least have some fun with it.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

And what does LL have to say about this?

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Given the state of the Euro she'll prolly tell him to take the money out of his piggy bank.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Nick

Given the state of the Euro she'll prolly tell him to take the money out of his piggy bank.

?5 says he hasn't told her  whistle:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
I think that sounds like a bargain at 700 E's tbh., PROVIDING you are confident and knowledgeable enough to do some of the work yourself.
Minis are highly desirable amongst collectors now, and the vans, pickups in particular are fetching crazy money, probably because of their rarity.
I would consider a 1275GT to most definately to come into that catergory now too. Very very rare. Can't remeber the last time I saw one tbh.
Is there a Mini owners club out there by chance? Couild be worth having a word with some of the members if so, and taking someone with you to have a shuffties.

If you can afford the renovation GO for it!

Where's LL stand on this btw? scared2:  ;)  lol:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
I think that sounds like a bargain at 700 E's tbh., PROVIDING you are confident and knowledgeable enough to do some of the work yourself.
Minis are highly desirable amongst collectors now, and the vans, pickups in particular are fetching crazy money, probably because of their rarity.
I would consider a 1275GT to most definately to come into that catergory now too. Very very rare. Can't remeber the last time I saw one tbh.
Is there a Mini owners club out there by chance? Couild be worth having a word with some of the members if so, and taking someone with you to have a shuffties.

If you can afford the renovation GO for it!

Where's LL stand on this btw? scared2:  ;)  lol:

There is a Mini club here...

I'm taking a Cypriot mate from the Classic Car Club who has done a load of restorations (just finished a stunning Volvo Amazon)...

He can also check out all the registration paperwork (which is in Greek) and make sure it is pucka...

LL is not happy about it...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: