Author Topic: A Teenager's first car.  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
A Teenager's first car.
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:15:18 PM »
My son will hopefully pass his test in June/July.  Can anyone suggest a suitable car for him which is affordable bearing in mind the way the Insurance Companies load the insurance for boys?

The eldest paid ?1,400 for the car and ?1,600 insurance for his first year on the road, 3 years ago.  He bought a Peugeot 106 Diesel.

It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
Re: A Teenager's first car.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 09:29:24 PM »
Morris 1000?  cloud9:  Great for street cred. No tax needed either

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »
And the low insurance is justified by the many safety features of this vehicle I presume!   noooo:
It's better than I ever even knew.  They say that the world was built for two.  Only worth living if somebody is loving you.  Baby now you do.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:51:13 PM »
And the low insurance is justified by the many safety features of this vehicle I presume!   noooo:

The world is his airbag
I mostly despair

Offline Pirate

• Senior Moment
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 09:59:30 PM »

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:13 PM »
You need to research for the lowest insurance group rating car.
It's all changed recently apparently, but as a general guide most cars with a 1.0 liter or less engine will fall into that catergory.
Does he want and 'need' street cred?  ::)

I actually quite like the Smart car,mainly because youngsters can't pack all their mates on board who then 'egg them on' to go faster.
Corsa, 106, Aygo/C1/107 p'raps?

The newer the better for ncap crash ratings. You want at least 4* now imo.

All insurance is going to be horrendous...especially for lads.
Growler jnr was bought a Hyundai Getz 1.0 last year.
Group 3 rating. ?1920 TPF&T for his first year with pass plus. Eye wateringly horrendous, but at least it's in his own name, and with Quinn Direct (who he's with) he is actually allowed to drive absolutely ANY other car (TPF&T only though) with owners consent, apart from 4WD or commercial.
Cheapest by far for this postcode area.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:54:57 PM by GROWLER »

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:06:21 PM »

Apart from zero crash ratings, a classic such as Pirate suggests is not actually as mad an idea as it first sounds.

I went down to the NEC last October for the TG live and classic car show, and whilst there I wandered onto the Footman James insurance stand to ask about insurance for G.Jnr.

They actually do very cheap insurance cover for 17 yr olds, providing they have a classic car that's on their extensive qualifying list.
Moggy Minor or old shape Mini (very desirable and still trendy but an absolute bastard to werk on  ::) ) for a mere ?550.
Triumph TR4 for ?600!
Range Rover V8  eeek: for similar.
Have to be a member of the owners club for the marque he has.

Terms and conditions apply, but some classic cars are very desirable as an alternative.

Just another angle to look at this from. ;)

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 04:50:42 AM »
I was hoping you would be in here to help!  Very grateful for all the information will go away to look now I have a start point to work with. 

I see what you mean about the classic car and will maybe consider it if all the other options fail.

Will definitely need to look at the economics of running it though because he will not be as good at funding himself as his brother who is a lot more practical and a year on now has a firm's vehicle as well as his own.

Thank you. angel1

Offline Tipsy Gipsy

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 05:09:58 AM »

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 08:33:09 AM »
I was hoping you would be in here to help!  Very grateful for all the information will go away to look now I have a start point to work with. 

I see what you mean about the classic car and will maybe consider it if all the other options fail.

Will definitely need to look at the economics of running it though because he will not be as good at funding himself as his brother who is a lot more practical and a year on now has a firm's vehicle as well as his own.

Thank you. angel1

Absolute pleasure. Could talk all day long on vitrually any motor related subjects.

How much will you be looking to roughly spend on the purchase then?

Previous generation Corsa's that came out on a 'Y' plate are probably ones of the ones with most street cred for under 2 grand that have actually got some decent safety features built in.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 08:47:20 AM »
Our son has a 1.2 Corsa, fully comp is about ?1,500 but that is with a voluntary excess of ?500, otherwise the premium would well over ?2,000. The Corsa's not a bad little car and has the benefit of a cam chain, as opposed to a belt.

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 09:18:27 AM »
Didn't know you had a son Moanio. Thought it was just the dreaded daughter. ;)

Any'ow. Found what I was looking for, and it explains the discrepancies and differences in premiums for different areas.

http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/car_insurance_explained/insurance_postcode_risk.htm

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 09:28:26 AM »
Didn't know you had a son Moanio. Thought it was just the dreaded daughter. ;)

Any'ow. Found what I was looking for, and it explains the discrepancies and differences in premiums for different areas.

http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/car_insurance_explained/insurance_postcode_risk.htm

He's moved out  8)