Disgusterous

Author Topic: Vernon Coleman  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Vernon Coleman
« on: July 05, 2007, 12:08:58 PM »
Currently reading "How To Stop Your Doctor Killing You"
Confirms many of my experiences and subsequent thoughts regarding Doctors and the NHS.
This man talks sense and, as a Doctor, knows what he is on about.
I have read others of his books, he also writes fiction, and enjoyed his style and humour but get him on to health matters and he is really good at telling it like it is. He has been syndicated by many major newspapers over the years and sacked by several for "telling the truth" which, as we all know, the establishment does not like.
You can order all his books direct from his web site at www.vernoncoleman.com.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Berek

Re: Vernon Coleman
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 06:45:50 PM »
How to stop your doctor killing you...

don't stand infront of his 4x4

Offline Landlady

• Fool Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 10:31:38 PM »
Does he have additional firm evidence on Dr. S ? 

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 11:15:19 AM »

Even if he had it is a little too late. lol:

But he does make the point over and over again that Doctors, in whom we place too much trust, are undeserving of this trust and we should always seek a second opinion. He also says that if you do seek a second opinion if you get to the second doctor, without the first knowing and pre-empting your consultation by talking to the second Dr, the chances are you will get a completely different diagnosis. Even if you happen to get the same diagnosis they will each prescribe different medication. I trust what this man is saying ~ as you may have guessed.  redface:

Berek

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 11:37:15 AM »

But he does make the point over and over again that Doctors, in whom we place too much trust, are undeserving of this trust and we should always seek a second opinion. He also says that if you do seek a second opinion if you get to the second doctor, without the first knowing and pre-empting your consultation by talking to the second Dr, the chances are you will get a completely different diagnosis. Even if you happen to get the same diagnosis they will each prescribe different medication. I trust what this man is saying ~ as you may have guessed.  redface:

I have found that my GP always consults another doctor in the practice.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »

I have found that my GP always consults another doctor in the practice.

That is even more worrying.

A Doctor with an invisible friend. scared2:

A college chum of mine had a PhD in Mathematics. His favourite line to a pretty girl at a party was "I'm a Doctor, take your clothes off please".

I mostly despair

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 12:47:50 PM »
I've always been a bit concerned about the fact that continually need to practice.

When will they be able to do it competently?
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 01:18:58 PM »
I've always been a bit concerned about the fact that continually need to practice.

When will they be able to do it competently?

Dr Coleman does make the point several times that the majority of GPs, once they set up in practice, receive no further training other than via the representatives of the Pharmaceutical Companies. He suggests checking out their desks for the free pens, note pads and calendars and you will be able to predict which drug they will decide you need to take. It is not a scientific analysis of what is best for you it is which company last gave him lunch that will make the decision.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 08:20:06 AM »
Which is why personally I feel it is always best to go having done your research especially with ongoing illness/syndrome/conditions.

It took me eight years to get diagnosed with something I knew I had.  ::)

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 08:26:27 AM »
Somehow, this guy makes me feel uneasy. I'm not keen on the idea of "celebrity" doctors etc.

RTFM