Disgusterous

Author Topic: Microsoft Sodding Excel  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Microsoft Sodding Excel
« on: July 04, 2007, 03:49:45 PM »
I've been building a report spreadsheey in Excel for the past couple of months. Finally finishing the layout today I started to copy the monthly analysis tabs to have Excel throw a massive tantrum with me stating

No more new fonts can be added

What new fonts, I'm only using one font for crying out loud. And to nark me off even more every time I try and copy a template sheet to cover June it crashes out.  cussing:

So I gave up trying to copy the extra sheets in and thought I'd backfill the worksheets I'd already copied only to be told

Not enough system resources to completely display

I'm not running any other bleedin programs you useless piece o junk. I can normally run Excell with 7 or 8 other programs without any problems. Why are you farting and falling over when you are the only active program after rebooting my machine?

crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash:

And if I get the standard IT opening gambit of 'Reboot your machine and see what happens' I'll reboot the blasted thing alright. Drop kick it out of the nearest sodding window.  Banghead
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Microsoft Sodding Excel
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 03:52:08 PM »
I've been building a report spreadsheey in Excel for the past couple of months. Finally finishing the layout today I started to copy the monthly analysis tabs to have Excel throw a massive tantrum with me stating

What new fonts, I'm only using one font for crying out loud. And to nark me off even more every time I try and copy a template sheet to cover June it crashes out.  cussing:

So I gave up trying to copy the extra sheets in and thought I'd backfill the worksheets I'd already copied only to be told

I'm not running any other bleedin programs you useless piece o junk. I can normally run Excell with 7 or 8 other programs without any problems. Why are you farting and falling over when you are the only active program after rebooting my machine?

crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash: crash:

And if I get the standard IT opening gambit of 'Reboot your machine and see what happens' I'll reboot the blasted thing alright. Drop kick it out of the nearest sodding window.  Banghead
Poor you...  happy100
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 03:55:30 PM »
Good to see you're your usual helpful self mine host. Stand the man a Bishops Finger for Christ's sake - he sounds as though he needs it!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 03:58:19 PM »
Good to see you're your usual helpful self mine host. Stand the man a Bishops Finger for Christ's sake - he sounds as though he needs it!
I?m not wasting my good beer by pouring it into his PC!  cussing:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Misunderstood

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 05:04:07 PM »

Poor you Indeed!

The question to be asked is why is Excel moaning about fonts - and insufficient resources - in a normal calculation situation.

I note the problem began when you added the June template...    I wonder if an error has crept in there, perhaps instead of merely adding a sheet it has started layering on itself and causing the processing to escalate exponentially causing an memory overload to which, in the interests of data integrity, Excel is futilely attempting to reduce overheads in fonts - remembering that the same font in two different sizes (or modes) count as two fonts etc.,

Try going back to a stable point in the program and measuring the memoryCPU overheads then try again from a clean copy to update it.  If the memory/processor stats go off the scale then it would be as I described, otherwise it most likely would be an inadvertent data entry error such as cell formatting not being as expected...

whistle:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 05:17:34 PM »
Usually it wouldnt be as much of a problem but its nearing mid year review time and this was going to be a large part of my accomplishments to far this year. Banghead

The part of this that is driving me nuts is that the January tab has been filled out so I can test it but the following months have blank templates. There are formulae in the worksheets but they have nothing to calculate as yet.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Misunderstood

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 05:35:49 PM »
Usually it wouldnt be as much of a problem but its nearing mid year review time and this was going to be a large part of my accomplishments to far this year. Banghead

The part of this that is driving me nuts is that the January tab has been filled out so I can test it but the following months have blank templates. There are formulae in the worksheets but they have nothing to calculate as yet.

Excel frequently reduces me to near tears too.  Banghead  I often find it quicker to start again in preference to debugging.  (Of course by start again, I mean from the last stable point)  ;)

Do do have any inter-sheet hyperlinks on the model page that could be spiralling?

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 05:55:01 PM »
No hyperlinks, there are a number of graphs for each tab though. I'm starting to wonder if I've managed to overload it with them  surrender:

Berek

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 06:13:44 PM »

Misunderstood

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 09:30:52 PM »

Would you be kind enough to open it at page 83?

It's a gluttony problem caused by feeding the computer one pi too many !

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 09:25:42 AM »

Would you be kind enough to open it at page 83?

It's a gluttony problem caused by feeding the computer one pi too many !

drumroll:
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!