Author Topic: Anybody feeling adventurous?  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Anybody feeling adventurous?
« on: April 09, 2009, 12:06:35 PM »
Just found an article listing the 10 'most disgusting' foods. I'll admit I've already tried Kopi luwak coffee and quite enjoyed it and I'm partial to black pudding every once in a while. Anyone else tried one of these?

Granted my first reaction to reading number 3 was that someone must be taking the p*ss.  whistle:

10. Birds' nest soup
A delicacy in South East Asia and China, this is not one of those things that, like Bombay Duck, isn’t quite what it says it is. With birds’ nest soup you get exactly what it says on the tin. The birds’ nests in question are built by Oriental swiftlets and constructed not of leaves and twigs but rather from a cement-like substance secreted from their salivary glands. This becomes gelatinous when made into soup. The nests are traditionally collected from caves, although nesting houses have also been built to make collection of this key ingredient easier.

9. Kopi luwak coffee
Kopi luwak, from Indonesia, the Philippines, and Timor-Leste, is a type of coffee that gains its distinctive flavour thanks to the beans having been digested by an Asian palm civet before they make it into your brew. The civet eats coffee berries, and while the beans pass through its digestive system they undergo a process that is said to remove the typically bitter taste of other coffees, leaving a sweeter and expensive bean.

8. Chicha
Various different types of chicha are drunk in countries across South America. The key ingredient, which can be maize or yucca, is cooked, chewed, spat back out, and then fermented to make the drink.

7. The mescal worm
Mescal, similar to tequila, is a Mexican drink made from fermented agave plants. While you might think that tequila bottles come with a worm floating at the bottom of them, this is in fact not the case—you get worms in bottles of mescal. The worms live in the agave plants and are removed before the heart of the plant is baked and then fermented. To enjoy mescal at its best, knock back a shot, and then bite into a wedge of orange or lime that has been liberally sprinkled with “sal de gusanito”—a blend of spices and dried, crushed worm.

6. Hundred-year eggs
A hundred-year egg, popular in China, is created by taking a normal egg and coating it in lime, ashes, and salt before burying it for a few months. When the egg is dug up, its yolk will have become greenish-black, while the albumen, formerly white, will now be dark brown in colour.

5. Black pudding
The name might make it sound like a dark chocolaty delight that any vegetarian would be happy to tuck into, but black pudding—essentially a blood sausage—is a far cry from a dessert. Along with blood, pudding ingredients include pork fat, oatmeal, onions, pepper and herbs, all stuffed into a sausage casing. White pudding is a similar creature, but without the blood, and red pudding is a Scottish delight made from bacon, pork, fat and colouring, among other things.

4. Fermented shark
In Sweden, Surströmming—fermented herring—is a delicacy. The herring are placed in barrels and then left in the sun for a day before being stored for one to two months to ferment. After being canned, the fermentation process continues, leading to the cans bulging ominously on supermarket shelves. In Iceland they take things one step further with Hákarl—fermented shark.

3. Cow urine
The brainchild of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, a Hindu nationalist organisation, a soft drink made from cow urine mixed with herbs is under development in India. Opposed to imported Western soft drinks, the group believes that its drink will have medicinal benefits.

2. Live octopus
If you don’t like the idea of eating live oysters, then the Korean dish sannakji is probably not for you. To prepare sannakji, take a live baby octopus, cut it up and season with sesame oil, and then eat straight away while the tentacles are still squirming on your plate.

1. Casu marzu cheese
Casu marzu, or rotten cheese, is a type of Pecorino cheese from Sardinia. What makes this cheese different from others is the added ingredient of maggots. Cheese flies are allowed to lay their eggs in the cheese. The maggots that hatch then help the cheese to ferment to create that special casu marzu flavour. Those rule-mad European bureaucrats have deemed casu marzu not hygienic and so it cannot be sold legally in Sardinia, meaning that if you do want to sample some of this maggoty cheese, you’ll have to track it down on the black market. If you want to try it out, make sure to eat it before the maggots die—if even the maggots haven’t survived in the cheese, then there could be trouble. But watch out, the larvae are known to jump out of the cheese, so you need to shield your eyes while eating it.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
Re: Anybody feeling adventurous?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 02:25:07 PM »
Just found an article listing the 10 'most disgusting' foods. I'll admit I've already tried Kopi luwak coffee and quite enjoyed it and I'm partial to black pudding every once in a while. Anyone else tried one of these?

Granted my first reaction to reading number 3 was that someone must be taking the p*ss.  whistle:

FWIW

10. Birds' nest soup
A delicacy in South East Asia and China, this is not one of those things that, like Bombay Duck, isn’t quite what it says it is. With birds’ nest soup you get exactly what it says on the tin. The birds’ nests in question are built by Oriental swiftlets and constructed not of leaves and twigs but rather from a cement-like substance secreted from their salivary glands. This becomes gelatinous when made into soup. The nests are traditionally collected from caves, although nesting houses have also been built to make collection of this key ingredient easier. Have tried this and its OK if you like saliva

9. Kopi luwak coffee
Kopi luwak, from Indonesia, the Philippines, and Timor-Leste, is a type of coffee that gains its distinctive flavour thanks to the beans having been digested by an Asian palm civet before they make it into your brew. The civet eats coffee berries, and while the beans pass through its digestive system they undergo a process that is said to remove the typically bitter taste of other coffees, leaving a sweeter and expensive bean. Tried this and would do so again.
8. Chicha
Various different types of chicha are drunk in countries across South America. The key ingredient, which can be maize or yucca, is cooked, chewed, spat back out, and then fermented to make the drink.  sick2:7.
The mescal worm
Mescal, similar to tequila, is a Mexican drink made from fermented agave plants. While you might think that tequila bottles come with a worm floating at the bottom of them, this is in fact not the case—you get worms in bottles of mescal. The worms live in the agave plants and are removed before the heart of the plant is baked and then fermented. To enjoy mescal at its best, knock back a shot, and then bite into a wedge of orange or lime that has been liberally sprinkled with “sal de gusanito”—a blend of spices and dried, crushed worm. No but would do if the opportunity arose.

6.Hundred-year eggs
A hundred-year egg, popular in China, is created by taking a normal egg and coating it in lime, ashes, and salt before burying it for a few months. When the egg is dug up, its yolk will have become greenish-black, while the albumen, formerly white, will now be dark brown in colour. Have been offered this but politely refused, having bad memories of exploding sulfurous eggs could not quite do it.

5. Black pudding
The name might make it sound like a dark chocolaty delight that any vegetarian would be happy to tuck into, but black pudding—essentially a blood sausage—is a far cry from a dessert. Along with blood, pudding ingredients include pork fat, oatmeal, onions, pepper and herbs, all stuffed into a sausage casing. White pudding is a similar creature, but without the blood, and red pudding is a Scottish delight made from bacon, pork, fat and colouring, among other things. Yep like this and white pudding, properly made it's wonderful.

4. Fermented shark
In Sweden, Surströmming—fermented herring—is a delicacy. The herring are placed in barrels and then left in the sun for a day before being stored for one to two months to ferment. After being canned, the fermentation process continues, leading to the cans bulging ominously on supermarket shelves. In Iceland they take things one step further with Hákarl—fermented shark. I think this would be better than it sounds, the Romans did something similar I believe.

3. Cow urine
The brainchild of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, a Hindu nationalist organisation, a soft drink made from cow urine mixed with herbs is under development in India. Opposed to imported Western soft drinks, the group believes that its drink will have medicinal benefits. I draw the line at this bit like old fashioned HRT good excuse for man boobs tho, especially if you are a man. eeek:

2. Live octopus
If you don’t like the idea of eating live oysters, then the Korean dish sannakji is probably not for you. To prepare sannakji, take a live baby octopus, cut it up and season with sesame oil, and then eat straight away while the tentacles are still squirming on your plate. No could not cope with this especially having watched the You Tube video on another thread, having said that whilst in Japan I did watch live prawns being cooked and then ate them, not sure what the difference is. redface: BTW I had paid for them!

1. Casu marzu cheese
Casu marzu, or rotten cheese, is a type of Pecorino cheese from Sardinia. What makes this cheese different from others is the added ingredient of maggots. Cheese flies are allowed to lay their eggs in the cheese. The maggots that hatch then help the cheese to ferment to create that special casu marzu flavour. Those rule-mad European bureaucrats have deemed casu marzu not hygienic and so it cannot be sold legally in Sardinia, meaning that if you do want to sample some of this maggoty cheese, you’ll have to track it down on the black market. If you want to try it out, make sure to eat it before the maggots die—if even the maggots haven’t survived in the cheese, then there could be trouble. But watch out, the larvae are known to jump out of the cheese, so you need to shield your eyes while eating it.
Ohh good grief I have a thing about maggots, most creepy crawlies I can cope with but maggots just get me. sick2: Yuck yuck and double yuck
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 06:21:25 PM »

FWIW

10. Birds' nest soup
A delicacy in South East Asia and China, this is not one of those things that, like Bombay Duck, isn’t quite what it says it is. With birds’ nest soup you get exactly what it says on the tin. The birds’ nests in question are built by Oriental swiftlets and constructed not of leaves and twigs but rather from a cement-like substance secreted from their salivary glands. This becomes gelatinous when made into soup. The nests are traditionally collected from caves, although nesting houses have also been built to make collection of this key ingredient easier. Have tried this and its OK if you like saliva

9. Kopi luwak coffee
Kopi luwak, from Indonesia, the Philippines, and Timor-Leste, is a type of coffee that gains its distinctive flavour thanks to the beans having been digested by an Asian palm civet before they make it into your brew. The civet eats coffee berries, and while the beans pass through its digestive system they undergo a process that is said to remove the typically bitter taste of other coffees, leaving a sweeter and expensive bean. Tried this and would do so again.
8. Chicha
Various different types of chicha are drunk in countries across South America. The key ingredient, which can be maize or yucca, is cooked, chewed, spat back out, and then fermented to make the drink.  sick2:7.
The mescal worm
Mescal, similar to tequila, is a Mexican drink made from fermented agave plants. While you might think that tequila bottles come with a worm floating at the bottom of them, this is in fact not the case—you get worms in bottles of mescal. The worms live in the agave plants and are removed before the heart of the plant is baked and then fermented. To enjoy mescal at its best, knock back a shot, and then bite into a wedge of orange or lime that has been liberally sprinkled with “sal de gusanito”—a blend of spices and dried, crushed worm. No but would do if the opportunity arose.

6.Hundred-year eggs
A hundred-year egg, popular in China, is created by taking a normal egg and coating it in lime, ashes, and salt before burying it for a few months. When the egg is dug up, its yolk will have become greenish-black, while the albumen, formerly white, will now be dark brown in colour. Have been offered this but politely refused, having bad memories of exploding sulfurous eggs could not quite do it.

5. Black pudding
The name might make it sound like a dark chocolaty delight that any vegetarian would be happy to tuck into, but black pudding—essentially a blood sausage—is a far cry from a dessert. Along with blood, pudding ingredients include pork fat, oatmeal, onions, pepper and herbs, all stuffed into a sausage casing. White pudding is a similar creature, but without the blood, and red pudding is a Scottish delight made from bacon, pork, fat and colouring, among other things. Yep like this and white pudding, properly made it's wonderful.

4. Fermented shark
In Sweden, Surströmming—fermented herring—is a delicacy. The herring are placed in barrels and then left in the sun for a day before being stored for one to two months to ferment. After being canned, the fermentation process continues, leading to the cans bulging ominously on supermarket shelves. In Iceland they take things one step further with Hákarl—fermented shark. I think this would be better than it sounds, the Romans did something similar I believe.

3. Cow urine
The brainchild of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, a Hindu nationalist organisation, a soft drink made from cow urine mixed with herbs is under development in India. Opposed to imported Western soft drinks, the group believes that its drink will have medicinal benefits. I draw the line at this bit like old fashioned HRT good excuse for man boobs tho, especially if you are a man. eeek:

2. Live octopus
If you don’t like the idea of eating live oysters, then the Korean dish sannakji is probably not for you. To prepare sannakji, take a live baby octopus, cut it up and season with sesame oil, and then eat straight away while the tentacles are still squirming on your plate. No could not cope with this especially having watched the You Tube video on another thread, having said that whilst in Japan I did watch live prawns being cooked and then ate them, not sure what the difference is. redface: BTW I had paid for them!

1. Casu marzu cheese
Ohh good grief I have a thing about maggots, most creepy crawlies I can cope with but maggots just get me. sick2: Yuck yuck and double yuck
worthy:

Remind me never to kiss you...  sick2:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 06:44:01 PM »
Only Number 7  noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 06:55:49 PM »
1, 4, 5, 7 ,10,  and I'm still alive  bom
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »
1, 4, 5, 7 ,10,  and I'm still alive  bom
noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 09:35:05 AM »
Oh, and black pudding, but it's  sick2:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 02:55:33 PM »

FWIW

10. Birds' nest soup

9. Kopi luwak coffee
8. Chicha
The mescal worm

6.Hundred-year eggs

5. Black pudding

4. Fermented shark

3. Cow urine

2. Live octopus

1. Casu marzu cheese
worthy:

Remind me never to kiss you...  sick2:

OK can I remind you just once or does it need to be done on a regular basis?

BM don't kiss me OK. I won't mention the whole distance thing

BTW I have and do clean my teeth I'll have you know. whistle:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 04:32:33 PM »

OK can I remind you just once or does it need to be done on a regular basis?

BM don't kiss me OK. I won't mention the whole distance thing

BTW I have and do clean my teeth I'll have you know. whistle:
I have quite a short memory... and attention span...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »
Bit like a goldfish really whistle:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 09:49:48 PM »
Bit like a goldfish really whistle:

What is?
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...