Author Topic: Judge 'reluctantly' jails rapist!!  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Judge 'reluctantly' jails rapist!!
« on: June 14, 2007, 10:54:48 AM »
Well its good to see that judges have the protection of children from internet predators high on their list of priorities.

A judge has "reluctantly" jailed a 26-year-old man who had sex with a young girl because the law prevented him considering a non-custodial option.
Judge Jeffery Rucker jailed Simon Foster for two years after he admitted two charges of rape and sexual assault by penetration at Exeter Crown Court.

The court heard how the pair met on the internet and then on three occasions on Teignmouth seafront in Devon.

The girl had told Foster, of Brittania Avenue, Dartmouth, she was aged 15.

Sentencing Foster, Judge Rucker said: "Rape is violent non-consensual sex or where threats are used to put the woman in a position where she submits. Equally where a defendant knows there is no consent but goes ahead anyway.

Hang on a moment. I admit I'm neither a judge or a barrister but I'm pretty sure that having sex with someone who is underage, consentual or wotherwise, is statutory rape. And for a 26 year old to be chasing after a  girl he knew was just 15 year old shows disturbing behaviour in itself.

"The defendant made it utterly clear he was interested in finding a sexual partner and the complainant knew that and could not say otherwise."

'Looked older'

The judge said he had a medical report which said the girl looked older and acted in a way consistent with that.

So what, the medical report means absolutely bugger all as the girl had previously told this guy that she was only 15. It doesnt matter if she looked 15, 25 or 105. She had told him that she was underage so it was his choice to go  ahead with things knowing what it meant.

"Regarding culpability, as far as the defendant was concerned he did not make sure of her age, and he was being lied to."

He said under sentencing guidelines he had to impose a prison sentence however he felt a community sentence would have been better.

"The law prevents me from looking at that non-custodial option. Personally I would have thought it was the better option in the light of the facts in this case. Reluctantly I have to send him to prison," he said.

Foster was also ordered to sign on the Sex Offenders Register and was banned from working with children until further order.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.