Author Topic: External hard drive  (Read 9429 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: External hard drive
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 01:36:36 PM »
An external hard drive is just a storage device, it won't speed up the computer. You need memory and/or a better graphics card. I would guess that the Dell laptop cannot take either.

The bit about memory and graphics cards is what the man in the shop said. I had hoped that perhaps an external hard drive would "speed" things up by taking some of the load but clearly my hopes are misguided.
In my ignorance I had assumed that more storage = more memory ~ this is based on the message that comes up on the screen saying "You have insufficent memory to play this game"
How did you remember it said that?  worthy:

redface: I went and tried to load the game and wrote down what it said.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 01:40:55 PM »
An external hard drive is just a storage device, it won't speed up the computer. You need memory and/or a better graphics card. I would guess that the Dell laptop cannot take either.

The bit about memory and graphics cards is what the man in the shop said. I had hoped that perhaps an external hard drive would "speed" things up by taking some of the load but clearly my hopes are misguided.
In my ignorance I had assumed that more storage = more memory ~ this is based on the message that comes up on the screen saying "You have insufficent memory to play this game"

I have had an external floppy for years, but I can't remember on-screen messages.  rubschin:
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 01:46:03 PM »

I have had an external floppy for years, but I can't remember on-screen messages.  rubschin:

I can remember a time when mine wasn't so floppy  redface:

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 01:51:06 PM »
5 1/4 discs were floppies.

3.5 are known as "stiffies".

RTFM

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 01:59:41 PM »
Haven't seen either in years.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 02:02:20 PM »
Have you tried angling your shaving mirror?

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 02:10:14 PM »
Have you tried angling your shaving mirror?

Yes and using the magnifying side.  noooo:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 02:15:26 PM »
And anyway, there's no slot to put them in anymore.  confused:

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 02:19:33 PM »
 happy100
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
When I were a lad, we had 8 inchers.

The secretaries were always asking for more.

RTFM

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 03:24:29 PM »
So does it speed things up then? ~ I ask because Minor has a lap-top (Dell) that I am told I cannot buy more memory for ~ apparently this particular old model was not built to be able to up-grade memory or summat.
Anywhoo ~ would an external hard drive be a cheap option to speed things up and enable him to play games etc?

I want mine to store music and photos on. Whilst it won't speed it up I have found in the past that the more memory space I free up the quicker the pc runs. Whilst I have no idea why it does seem to be the case. My pc at work runs all my graphics stuff off an external hard drive as when I had it on my main pc it was terribly clunky. The external hard drive situation was created as a work around.

For £50 it is worth a try Snoops. If it doesn't work then it is a cheapish mistake that can be a useful backup medium.

Offline tel

• Senior Moment
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »
So does it speed things up then? ~ I ask because Minor has a lap-top (Dell) that I am told I cannot buy more memory for ~ apparently this particular old model was not built to be able to up-grade memory or summat.
Anywhoo ~ would an external hard drive be a cheap option to speed things up and enable him to play games etc?

I want mine to store music and photos on. Whilst it won't speed it up I have found in the past that the more memory space I free up the quicker the pc runs. Whilst I have no idea why it does seem to be the case. My pc at work runs all my graphics stuff off an external hard drive as when I had it on my main pc it was terribly clunky. The external hard drive situation was created as a work around.

For £50 it is worth a try Snoops. If it doesn't work then it is a cheapish mistake that can be a useful backup medium.

Quick and simple explanation -

Basically Windows (and other software) uses some of your hard drive as temporary "RAM" as and when needed. If your hard drive is very full, or has fragmented then it slows down everything - a tidy defragmented will always help to run stuff faster.

RTFM

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
Snoop, what model Dell is it? I could just be in a cynical mood today but I can't see a major computer manufacturer making a laptop that has no upgradability at all.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 06:15:12 PM »
Seriously old "Latitude CPi" ~ and three different local sources have confirmed that a memory upgrade is not viable.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 06:27:50 PM »
From what I can tell I'd agree. With some of the older laptops because the specific type of memory isnt made anymore and I thought that may have been the case with yours.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.