Author Topic: Brown to defend knife crime plans  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Brown to defend knife crime plans
« on: July 14, 2008, 08:46:18 AM »
Quote from: BBC Web Shite
Gordon Brown is expected to defend the government's plans for tackling knife crime, which have been derided as "half-baked" by the Liberal Democrats.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has already announced proposals to use shock tactics against young offenders caught in possession of a knife.

Source

I noted hysteria in the media this weekend over knife crime – nobody seems to have an answer…

The thing everybody seems to have ignored is the criminal record or otherwise of the offenders…

I bet €50 that every young thug convicted of a knife crime is known to the police, has a criminal record and has avoided prison for numerous less serious crimes in the past like public order offences, causing an affray or whatever…

It is (IMHO) the failure of the justice system to punish those caught at the beginning of their criminal careers that leads to an attitude of invulnerability and lack of respect for their peers, the police or the law of the land…

Shock tactics for young thugs caught in possession - bit late for that Jacqui...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Brown to defend knife crime plans
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 08:54:31 AM »
Unfortunately as long as the knife wielding thugs can quote the HRA there is bugger all the police can do. All they have to do is say that they are afraid of being attacked and that they carry a knife to defend themselves as the police and govt cannot.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 09:24:53 AM »
Can't argue with that ~ said much the same on here myself.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »
I went for an alternative idea:-

"The answer lies within London. The Evening Standard reported that some 250,000 kids are of the age/area likely to be involved in stabbings.

There are sufficient stadia within London to accommodate them. Invite them. Let them brings shanks. Pay their transport costs. Put live popular music acts on. Put a big ring in the middle and invite them to express their their anguish and woe against their enemy gangs within. Televise it. After the twentieth or so sack of putrid humanity is lying butchered on the floor, perhaps the others might see the futility of their bravado.

Then bill the parents of these wastrels to clear up the mess.

Then make Jacqui Smith lick the floor clean."

Offline Nick

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 09:49:21 AM »
You are OH and I claim my £5
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 03:48:37 AM »
Another day... another policy...  noooo:

Quote from: BBC Web Shite
Youth crime plan to be unveiled

The government is to set out its first ever cross-departmental youth crime action plan for England and Wales.

The initiative is expected to extend the targeting of parents and children who cause most anti-social behaviour.

There will also be proposals for better support for crime victims and help for young offenders to settle back into communities after custody.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has said more than 110,000 "problem families" will be targeted as part of the scheme.

As many as 20,000 families could be evicted from their homes if they fail to control their children, Mr Brown said.

Source
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 06:47:12 AM »
And where does he intend to put these 20,000 families after evicting them? Why the assumption that knife crime is exclusive to "Council" tenants who can be evicted? Having evicted them has the Government forgotten that they have placed a statutory duty upon local councils to rehouse homeless people?
Another ill conceived sound bite policy invented to look tough, grab headlines and then be forgotten.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 06:55:54 AM »
And where does he intend to put these 20,000 families after evicting them? Why the assumption that knife crime is exclusive to "Council" tenants who can be evicted? Having evicted them has the Government forgotten that they have placed a statutory duty upon local councils to rehouse homeless people?
Another ill conceived sound bite policy invented to look tough, grab headlines and then be forgotten.
Precisely…

You are evicted… oh now you are homeless… we will have to re-home you…  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 07:01:24 AM »
NEW GOVERNMENT POLICY TO SAVE THE HOUSING MARKET

Buy your kids a knife and get a new home free.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »
Cameron has a good idea in jailing anyone who carries a knife but the prisons themselves need to be reformed. Yes, emphasis on training & rehabilitation is a good idea but you need a stick to balance that carrot.

Make the prison itself as unpleasant as possible, able to just cater for their basic human rights (nutritous food, health, hygiene, shelter) and no more so that they can see the consequece of commiting a crime again
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 01:26:39 PM »
Cameron has a good idea in jailing anyone who carries a knife but the prisons themselves need to be reformed. Yes, emphasis on training & rehabilitation is a good idea but you need a stick to balance that carrot.

Make the prison itself as unpleasant as possible, able to just cater for their basic human rights (nutritous food, health, hygiene, shelter) and no more so that they can see the consequece of commiting a crime again

No! Starve them, let them contract TB, HIV, Hepatitus. Let them lie in squalid holes in the ground. Make them break rocks in the hot sun.  Put tattoos saying "knife crime" on their foreheads. They have foregone any chance of humane treatment.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 08:17:48 AM »
 I know this is on a slight  tangent but have I fallen through the looking glass? Is the police chief in charge of combating knife wielding psychos really called Alf Hitchcock? eeek:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »
Yup!

Not

But

Looks a bit of a prat if you ask me ~ which you didn't.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:35:16 AM by Snoopy »

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 09:22:13 AM »

But

Looks a bit of a prat if you ask me ~ which you didn't.

It's hard to argue with that statement Snoopy

LiFe - It's an "F" in lie