Author Topic: I dont want to worry you Wenchy but..  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
I dont want to worry you Wenchy but..
« on: July 08, 2008, 11:14:53 AM »
I saw this article when I was having a quick look on the BBC News site.

Eating high levels of some soy products - including tofu - may raise the risk of memory loss, research suggests.

The study focused on 719 elderly Indonesians living in urban and rural regions of Java.

The researchers found high tofu consumption - at least once a day - was associated with worse memory, particularly among the over-68s.

The Loughborough University-led study features in the journal Dementias and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders.

Soy products are a major alternative protein source to meat for many people in the developing world.

But soy consumption is also on the increase in the west, where it is often promoted as a "superfood".

Soy products are rich in micronutrients called phytoestrogens, which mimic the impact of the female sex hormone oestrogen.

There is some evidence that they may protect the brains of younger and middle-aged people from damage - but their effect on the ageing brain is less clear.

The latest study suggests phytoestrogens - in high quantity - may actually heighten the risk of dementia.

Lead researcher Professor Eef Hogervorst said previous research had linked oestrogen therapy to a doubling of dementia risk in the over-65s.

She said oestrogens - and probably phytoestrogens - tended to promote growth among cells, not necessarily a good thing in the ageing brain.

Alternatively, high doses of oestrogens might promote the damage caused to cells by particles known as free radicals.

A third theory is that damage is caused not by the tofu, but by formaldehyde, which is sometimes used in Indonesia as a preservative.

The researchers admit that more research is required to ascertain whether the same effects are found in other ethnic groups.

However, previous research has also linked high tofu consumption to an increased risk of dementia in older Japanese American men.

Fermented product

Professor David Smith, of the University of Oxford, said tofu was a complex food with many ingredients which might have an impact.

However, he said: "There seems to be something happening in the brain as we age which makes it react to oestrogens in the opposite way to what we would expect."

The latest study also found that eating tempe, a fermented soy product made from the whole soy bean, was associated with better memory.

Professor Hogervorst said the beneficial effect of tempe might be related to the fact that it contains high levels of the vitamin folate, which is known to reduce dementia risk.

"It may be that that the interaction between high levels of both folate and phytoestrogens protects against cognitive impairment."

She also stressed that there was no suggestion that eating tofu in moderation posed a problem.

Rebecca Wood, of the Alzheimer's Research Trust, which funded the study, said more research was needed to pin down the potential risks and benefits of so-called superfoods.

However, she said: "This kind of research into the causes of Alzheimer's could lead scientists to new ways of preventing this devastating disease.

"As over half a million people have Alzheimer's in the UK today, there is a desperate need to find a new prevention or cure."
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: I dont want to worry you Wenchy but..
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:19:56 AM »
The study focused on 719 elderly Indonesians living in urban and rural regions of Java.

The researchers found high tofu consumption - at least once a day - was associated with worse memory, particularly among the over-68s

This is mad. A study of "719 elderly Indonesians" finds they have memory loss and links this to a doet of toffee or whatever it is?

I imagine they also drink water and eats eggs or whatever.

Christ I have never knowingly eaten tofu and my memory is f*cked.

Still, if you have the misfortune to live in Loughborough   sick2: then any excuse to get to Indonesia seems appealing

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:36:48 AM »
I've sworn off the stuff. Tried four tofu meals and they were all vile. No more!  sick2:

Offline Nick

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:38:41 AM »
WHo invented it? As a foodstuff surely it's in the bad joke category  noooo:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:43:56 AM »
The chinese or the japanese I think.  rubschin:

Offline Nick

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 11:53:49 AM »
Deffo not real food then.

They have all that rice and never figured out how to make Ambrosia Creamed Rice  noooo:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 11:59:10 AM »
Which is really just wrong.  noooo:

Offline Nick

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 12:00:26 PM »
They just fry it with poisonous/raw fish or dogs or whatever.And serve ducks flat. I have seen those flat ducks in Soho.

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 12:08:21 PM »
The orientals often flavour it (artificially), shape it (manually, and present it in a strange imitation of something it's not.

I once had a full English breakfast (tofu styley) in Singapore with a gentleman who was on a month's religious vegetarian fast.
We then went out later that evening and got hammered  eeek:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »
The orientals often flavour it (artificially), shape it (manually, and present it in a strange imitation of something it's not.

What is the "it" of which you burble?  eeek:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 12:21:59 PM »

What is the "it" of which you burble?  eeek:

Tofu!  ;)
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 12:40:18 PM »
I thought you were on about rice!

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »
They just fry it with poisonous/raw fish or dogs or whatever.And serve ducks flat. I have seen those flat ducks in Soho.

Hey I've tried the 'poisonous fish' as you put it. Fugu has to be one of the strangest things I've ever tried. Can't really remember how it tasted, the enduring memory was the sensation of chewing novocaine as there is a residue of the venom in the flesh making you feel like you are at the dentist.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 01:14:19 PM »
So you eat this stuff and feel like you are reclining in a chair with someone sticking two fingers in your mouth whilst talking about their holidays ~ That's weird. eeek:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 01:16:45 PM »
So you eat this stuff and feel like you are reclining in a chair with someone sticking two fingers in your mouth whilst talking about their holidays ~ That's weird. eeek:
Methinks they left too much venom...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: