Author Topic: Dinner tonight  (Read 2057836 times)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
Re: Dinner tonight
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 10:30:05 AM »
Tonight we are having thai curry.

Last night I had peanut butter on toast.

The night before that I had pick and mix at the cinema.

Still getting your five a day I see  ::)

This is a dinner thread! Not lunch or breakfast. I had fruit for breakfast and smoothie for lunch and chopped up cucumber and carrot during the day so I did get my five a day! So there!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 10:31:35 AM »
 surrender:

'scuse me while I go and bite my tongue off.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »
I've just been given a halogen convection oven so I'm playing with it to see what I can make.

Tonight I'm trying mozzarella stuffed chicken with a pesto marinade with roasted Mediterranean veg  cloud9:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 01:13:41 PM »
I've just been given a halogen convection oven so I'm playing with it to see what I can make.

Tonight I'm trying mozzarella stuffed chicken with a pesto marinade with roasted Mediterranean veg  cloud9:

From first principles or M&S?  whistle:

We're having Corned Beef Hash ~ and it's all Nick's fault!  evil:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »
Tonight's dinner is... er... uncorked... and going down well  whistle:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2008, 05:57:48 PM »
Prepared and cooked all by me I'll have you know mutt evil:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2008, 10:43:25 AM »

This version I trust  whistle:

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/515023
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2008, 11:05:49 AM »

This version I trust  whistle:

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/515023

No ~ and it was bloody awful. evil:

One child doesn't like melted cheese, one can't eat tomatoes or anything containing them, one child will not eat onions, two children dislike anything with herbs and spices in and so it goes on. My answer, when I cook, is to cook what I like and also prepare fish fingers (or sausages) and chips for all those who whine "I don't like this". SWMBO would rather create a huge fuss, start an argument with the children about their, to her mind, irrational likes and dislikes, give in by removing various bits and pieces from any recipe leaving, for example, the corned beef hash as simply mashed potato and corned beef stirred together, served with carrots and cabbage (to make the point that the children MUST eat vegetables) and then sit through a sulky, unpleasant, miserable meal. When I have finished my plateful of this culinary masterpiece I then retire to another room and put on a CD (loudly) whilst she sits at the table for a further two hours determined that the children will finish every last cold mouthful before she releases them. Tears before bedtime ~ never a good idea in my opinion ~ but what do I know? I'm only the father.
Personally I would rather give them what they will eat (within reason), cook what we like for me and her and wait for the children to grow up and develope a taste for the finer things in life. This is a cause of much debate twixt SWMBO and self in which I stand accused of "giving in" and I maintain that she cannot cook anyway. Her standard reply to this charge is that I eat whatever she puts in front of me and I am forced to remind her that after growing up during rationing and then serving in HM forces there is nothing I am not capable of eating when I have to and at least by eating the weird things she sometimes prepares I am being supportive in front of the children.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:07:20 AM by Snoopy »

Offline Nick

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2008, 11:08:07 AM »
A familiar scenario. The Boy eats what he is given.It is Mrs Nick who gives in here.

There is a book to be written about the long term effects of growing up during rationing:

Eat what is on your plate
Finish it all up or it will be back at the next meal
and so on

(See also: Starving children in Africa argument)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2008, 11:15:42 AM »
Speaking of the starving of Africa and then going completely off topic (and when didn't we) does anyone else remember those little books of black and white photographs of children (usually African) that were issued out at school. We had to sell a photograph of a child to a family friend, neighbour or relative for IIRC 6d (sixpence in old money) until the book was empty and then hand in the cash at school.
I have no idea why this memory came to me last night but it did. Perhaps Darwin will be the only other one here who remembers this practice. I cannot be sure whether the charity was to help starving Africans, for something like Barnardo's or even the NSPCC.
I do not recall my older children who were at school in the 70s/80s bringing these home so the practice obviously died out between my leaving school in 1963 and them starting in 1973

Offline Nick

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2008, 11:18:12 AM »
NOw you mention it I dimly recall something similar from  the early 60s rubschin:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2008, 11:33:23 AM »
I've just asked Mrs S#2 and she replied "I didn't go to that sort of school"   eeek:

She then, seeing that I was going puce, explained that in her schooldays (12 years behind mine) she remembers these books of pictures being issued to children who went to "Church" schools (for our younger readers that means what are now known as "Faith Schools"). She believes that they were in aid of Church Missionary Charities.
I do remember that not all of the children were African but some were of Asian appearance and some looked white(ish) so presumably the missionaries were also in South America and the like.

My other memory of them was that their annual appearance always led to a tirade from my Father about charity beginning at home and that the "Holy Joes" should bloody well remember that and come back to the UK to sort out the many problems with the war ravaged country that had just fought for them.

Offline Nick

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2008, 11:45:16 AM »

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2008, 11:51:33 AM »
http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,363604,00.html

Plus ca change.................

Father was undoubtably right ~ if before his time.

What is it they say ~ Give a man a fish and he can feed his family for a day ...... Teach a man to fish and he'll sit on a river bank, drinking beer, all day.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2008, 04:42:13 PM »
Perhaps Darwin will be the only other one here who remembers this practice. I cannot be sure whether the charity was to help starving Africans, for something like Barnardo's or even the NSPCC.
I knew of it but it was not the kind of thing my school would have encouraged.

They would more likely solicit large donations to build a church (Anglican) which would then be 'run' by one of the large number of useless former pupils who took up the cloth but failed to achieve seniority.  redface:
I mostly despair