Disgusterous

Author Topic: laptops?  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: laptops?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 03:52:46 PM »

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1525?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

What do we think of those?
[not a stupid question] What do you want to do with it? [/not a stupid question]
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 03:54:10 PM »
Primarily browse and use the webcam. Edit pictures. Nothing to heavy I don't think.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 04:04:14 PM »
Craparooney!
Avoid Dell like the plague.
According to my man additional memory is almost impossible to get hold of for most of their laptops, service is impossible as I know to my personal cost, help is in Bombay or somesuch place.

Have a look at: http://www.ebuyer.com/?ref=ga&gclid=CJ6qirnmateZMCFQ2qQwodlj-6zA
I got Mrs S#2 a new laptop from these people. Brilliant service and about £100 cheaper than other sites for the identical bit of kit. So pleased that I bought myself a PC from them as well. Again brilliant service.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 01:23:35 PM »
Get a HP - costs more, but worth it.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 01:29:36 PM »
Exactly where my link takes her ~ if she looks .... some good deals too. I also liked the fact that their printed prices include next day delivery, VAT and 12 months warranty ~ unlike Dell with whom all such things turn out to be extras on top of the quoted price. Like Dell however they do not come with MSoft Office Suite. Only MSoft Works ~ Office Suite you have to buy (or nick from another source).

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 01:46:43 PM »
Exactly where my link takes her ~ if she looks .... some good deals too. I also liked the fact that their printed prices include next day delivery, VAT and 12 months warranty ~ unlike Dell with whom all such things turn out to be extras on top of the quoted price. Like Dell however they do not come with MSoft Office Suite. Only MSoft Works ~ Office Suite you have to buy (or nick from another source).
Or download OpenOffice for free...  ;)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 01:56:24 PM »

Which is fine if you can do without Powerpoint, Publisher, Excel etc but personally I am running Vista (as you know) with Works 8 as installed and with my old MSoft Office Suite 2003. Works well for me and I don't have the agro of a pseudo "presentation" programme not being able to open stuff people send me nor for that matter do I get calls saying "What programme did you do this in? ~ 'cos I can't open it with MSoft Office". I had all that with Ability Office Suite which claimed to be fully compatable and wasn't evil:

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 01:56:28 PM »
I have all the sotware on CDs...and volume licence codes...

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »

Which is fine if you can do without Powerpoint, Publisher, Excel etc but personally I am running Vista (as you know) with Works 8 as installed and with my old MSoft Office Suite 2003. Works well for me and I don't have the agro of a pseudo "presentation" programme not being able to open stuff people send me nor for that matter do I get calls saying "What programme did you do this in? ~ 'cos I can't open it with MSoft Office". I had all that with Ability Office Suite which claimed to be fully compatable and wasn't evil:
OpenOffice is excellent!

If I didn't have a, um, corporate licence for MS Office 2003 I would use it...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »

OpenOffice is excellent!

If I didn't have a, um, corporate licence for MS Office 2003 I would use it...

rubschin: OK so you nicked a copy too. I'll give Open Office a try later.

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 03:18:25 PM »
Do so. Open office is - from what I have seen (although I don't have Vista) pretty good.

Worth a go, at least.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 03:42:42 PM »
I too would reccomend Open Office. The only reason I dont use is because all the MS Office stuff is avaiable through work so I dont need it.

But if it wasnt I would. Use Open Office I mean like.

I have been deploying Office 2007 at work, in the last week I have got round to doing 5 PC's. One PC was killed in the process and had to re-formatted. A 1 in 5 balls up rate is not good.  surrender:

I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline The Moan Ranger

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • No surrender
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 05:23:46 PM »
My place (18000 users) aren't even going to look at Office 2007 until 2010. With good reason, it seems.

Shame I won't be here to enjoy the inevitable foul up!

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 09:11:34 AM »
I think Wenchy needs one of those new Asus Eee machines...

http://www.mobilewhack.com/asus-eee-1000-to-be-announced/
Pro Skub  Thumbs: