Author Topic: War Profiteers - Iraq's missing billions.  (Read 852 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
War Profiteers - Iraq's missing billions.
« on: June 11, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »
I watched this last night and was horrified. I knew that Bush and Cheyney were probably making a killing out of Iraq (no pun intended) but I had no idea just what the scope was, or the lengths that they would go in order to protect their interests.

I'll be interested to see what happens in 6 months time when they are no longer in power and the gagging orders are rescinded.

The thing that horrified me most of all was the private military contracters over there. Blackwater has been linked to a load of incidents where lethal force was used for no reason at all and in many cases they shot first injuring or killing anyone in the area. But as Bush passed a law stating that no private contracters can be charged with anything they have done over there they have free reign.

A BBC investigation estimates that around $23bn (£11.75bn) may have been lost, stolen or just not properly accounted for in Iraq.

For the first time, the extent to which some private contractors have profited from the conflict and rebuilding has been researched by the BBC's Panorama using US and Iraqi government sources.

A US gagging order is preventing discussion of the allegations.

The order applies to 70 court cases against some of the top US companies.

War profiteering

While George Bush remains in the White House, it is unlikely the gagging orders will be lifted.

To date, no major US contractor faces trial for fraud or mismanagement in Iraq.

The president's Democratic opponents are keeping up the pressure over war profiteering in Iraq.

Henry Waxman who chairs the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform said: "The money that's gone into waste, fraud and abuse under these contracts is just so outrageous, its egregious.

"It may well turn out to be the largest war profiteering in history."

In the run-up to the invasion one of the most senior officials in charge of procurement in the Pentagon objected to a contract potentially worth seven billion that was given to Halliburton, a Texan company, which used to be run by Dick Cheney before he became vice-president.

Unusually only Halliburton got to bid - and won.

Now why would Halliburton be the only company that gets offered the bids, could it be that Cheyney was the former head of the company and that he has $5million in stock options still tied in the company despite claming he has had no financial stake in Halliburton since he took office.

Missing billions

The search for the missing billions also led the programme to a house in Acton in West London where Hazem Shalaan lived until he was appointed to the new Iraqi government as minister of defence in 2004.

He and his associates siphoned an estimated $1.2 billion out of the ministry.

They bought old military equipment from Poland but claimed for top class weapons.

Meanwhile they diverted money into their own accounts.

Judge Radhi al-Radhi of Iraq's Commission for Public Integrity investigated.

He said: "I believe these people are criminals.

"They failed to rebuild the Ministry of Defence , and as a result the violence and the bloodshed went on and on - the murder of Iraqis and foreigners continues and they bear responsibility."

Mr Shalaan was sentenced to two jail terms but he fled the country.

He said he was innocent and that it was all a plot against him by pro-Iranian MPs in the government.

There is an Interpol arrest out for him but he is on the run - using a private jet to move around the globe.

He stills owns commercial properties in the Marble Arch area of London.

This guy moves between the middle east and London. Surely it doesnt take a genius to impound his jet the next time it lands here and drag the thieving scum off in chains.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.