Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 402205 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« on: May 29, 2008, 10:22:51 AM »
I'll start you off with The book Thief

Book Description
The story of a young German girl who steals books, of her family and the Jewish boxer hidden in their basement as they struggle to survive in Nazi Germany when the bombs begin to fall.

Synopsis
1939 - Nazi Germany - The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier. Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall. Some important information - this novel is narrated by death. It's a small story, about: a girl; an accordionist; some fanatical Germans; a Jewish fist fighter; and quite a lot of thievery. Another thing you should know - death will visit the book thief three times.

Reader's Comments
The most amazing book I have ever read... cried my eyes out... a must purchase read.  happy088

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:46:18 AM by Barman »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:24:35 AM »
You wrote that really well.  ;)
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:25:33 AM »
Thanks...  redface:

We need someone to buy it now and see if it works...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:27:17 AM »

So well I don't really feel a need to read it now.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 10:27:59 AM »
Sounds rubbish to me.  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 10:29:09 AM »
Derek Robinson - Kentucky Blues

I've been a long-term fan of Robinson's work. He has an excellent sense of humour (IMHO) and has produced a line of 'faction' novels about fighter pilots in the first and second world wars. An author's note? at the end of each book explains where fact ends and fiction begins...

This book is on a completely different subject but continues the 'faction' theme. It is about settlers in Kentucky in the 1830's, the slave trade and a feud between two families.

An excellent read - a five thumbs rating!

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »

So well I don't really feel a need to read it now.
doh:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:30:54 AM »
Derek Robinson - Kentucky Blues

I've been a long-term fan of Robinson's work. He has an excellent sense of humour (IMHO) and has produced a line of 'faction' novels about fighter pilots in the first and second world wars. An author's note? at the end of each book explains where fact ends and fiction begins...

This book is on a completely different subject but continues the 'faction' theme. It is about settlers in Kentucky in the 1830's, the slave trade and a feud between two families.

An excellent read - a five thumbs rating!

<iframe src="http://rcm-uk.amazon.co.uk/e/cm?t=virtualpub-21&o=2&p=8&l=as1&asins=0304361828&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I've read that so agree in full with the rating. Somebody go for it.  happy088

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 10:31:43 AM »
Gift Hints for Tailgunner!

happy088
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 10:32:33 AM »
I've just watched the remake of the Andromeda Strain done by the Scott brothers for Sky.

Its showing, well now if I'm right but I had the DVD in advance and yes its an official legitimate copy before anyone asks. 

Proper GM review time.

Produced by Ridley and Tony Scott this reimaging of the 1970's Film adaptation of Micheal Crichton's Andromeda Strain has been brought up to date with a strong cast and an expanded plotline which gives more ground to the consiracy behind project scoop as well os the origin of the virus itself.

Part one of the miniseries is pretty faithful to the novel and the original film. The sattelite comes down in the middle of nowhere close to the obligatory couple of kids making out in the back of a pick up truck and they of course load it in the back of the truck and take it to the nearby town.  Some idiot opens the sattelite releasing the virus and the town dies out rapidly. The psychotic effects some of the victims of the virus suffer are pretty graphic which lead to clues about the nature of the virus when investigated by the wildfire team.

Part 2 of the miniseries......hmmm, where do I start.......? Ok I'll start by saying that I have no idea what they were smoking when they came up with the virus origin and conspiracy storylines but whatever it was must have been industrial strength.

Overall it was an enjoyable film that managed to keep a lot of the feel of the original although the extra plot lines used to make it a 4 hour series could have done with a little more work on them.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 10:34:14 AM by Barman »
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 10:38:11 AM »
I've just watched the remake of the Andromeda Strain done by the Scott brothers for Sky.

Its showing, well now if I'm right but I had the DVD in advance and yes its an official legitimate copy before anyone asks. 

Overall it was an enjoyable film that managed to keep a lot of the feel of the original although the extra plot lines used to make it a 4 hour series could have done with a little more work on them.
<iframe src="http://rcm-uk.amazon.co.uk/e/cm?t=virtualpub-21&o=2&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0017T1NL8&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<iframe src="http://rcm-uk.amazon.co.uk/e/cm?t=virtualpub-21&o=2&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0000DC16B&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Nice one GM. Just added that to my lovefilm rental list.  whistle:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »

<iframe src="http://rcm-uk.amazon.co.uk/e/cm?t=virtualpub-21&o=2&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0017T1NL8&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
<iframe src="http://rcm-uk.amazon.co.uk/e/cm?t=virtualpub-21&o=2&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0000DC16B&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Nice one GM. Just added that to my lovefilm rental list.  whistle:
doh:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 10:41:21 AM »