Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 405116 times)

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #2430 on: May 06, 2017, 07:57:07 PM »
Gonna watch that movie about Apey....  cloud9:

rubschin:

As for my stand up ''''(willy pun )..

Miss T said it's not comedy ...it is a rant about stupid people ......... rubschin:

It was brilliant!  cloud9:

Steve - add it to your list but zoom it up to the very top!  Thumbs:

rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2431 on: May 06, 2017, 08:06:56 PM »

rubschin:

Miss T said it's not comedy ...it is a rant about stupid people ......... rubschin:

rubschin:

He looks like you too!  Thumbs:

Not Steve obviously... ::)
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #2432 on: May 06, 2017, 08:07:59 PM »

rubschin:

rubschin:

He looks like you too!  Thumbs:

Not Steve obviously... ::)

cloud9:

Gayer ...... noooo:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2433 on: May 06, 2017, 09:42:27 PM »
 rubschin:
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2434 on: May 12, 2017, 01:45:13 AM »
Well I just got back from the midnight screening of Alien Covenant and I have to admit that I was pretty underwhelmed by the film. I wanted to like it, I really did. Hell I've been waiting for another good one in the series since Aliens so I was really looking forward to this when Ridley Scott said it was a return to the original format. It looked stunning but it was ponderous and predictable. There was so much potential in the plot that was sadly wasted, the interaction between Walter and David, what really happened with Shaw and David, the horror of the genocide of the engineers on the planet not to mention the fate of the members of the covenant crew most of it was simply rushed through in an attempt to try and build a sense of tension that never amounted to anything.

All in all it was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back again, on the bright side it was a staff ticket so didn't cost me anything. 
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2435 on: May 12, 2017, 04:38:53 AM »
Well I just got back from the midnight screening of Alien Covenant and I have to admit that I was pretty underwhelmed by the film. I wanted to like it, I really did. Hell I've been waiting for another good one in the series since Aliens so I was really looking forward to this when Ridley Scott said it was a return to the original format. It looked stunning but it was ponderous and predictable. There was so much potential in the plot that was sadly wasted, the interaction between Walter and David, what really happened with Shaw and David, the horror of the genocide of the engineers on the planet not to mention the fate of the members of the covenant crew most of it was simply rushed through in an attempt to try and build a sense of tension that never amounted to anything.

All in all it was 2 hours of my life I'll never get back again, on the bright side it was a staff ticket so didn't cost me anything.

I went to see Aliens at the cinema when it first came out and was underwhelmed by that... To be fair, it had been grossly over-hyped with stories of people running from cinemas screaming in terror...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2436 on: May 12, 2017, 09:36:02 PM »

I went to see Aliens at the cinema when it first came out and was underwhelmed by that... To be fair, it had been grossly over-hyped with stories of people running from cinemas screaming in terror...  noooo:
Sure you don't mean Alien?  Aliens was the awesome sequel

oh and ta Meister.  That one won't make the list

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #2437 on: May 13, 2017, 04:12:17 AM »

The only parts of the night that had people screaming were the trailers for IT and Annabelle 2, they will probably make my viewing list.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2438 on: May 13, 2017, 06:51:46 AM »

Sure you don't mean Alien?  Aliens was the awesome sequel

oh and ta Meister.  That one won't make the list

Nah...

I remember seeing pictures in the newspapers - supposedly taken in a cinema - of people screaming and running for their lives as the film was so terrifying...  ::)

Not a bad film but over-hyped IMHO...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2441 on: May 29, 2017, 01:40:48 PM »
Never rated it as an album, imho they did far better before (Revolver) and after (Abbey Road)

The Stones who at the time were on top form were foolish to try and follow its lead

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2442 on: May 29, 2017, 01:41:43 PM »
Never rated it as an album, imho they did far better before (Revolver) and after (Abbey Road)

The Stones who at the time were on top form were foolish to try and follow its lead

Yes, and look what happened to them eh...?  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Nick

« Reply #2443 on: May 29, 2017, 01:43:25 PM »

I take your point (Satanic Majesties was absurd) but the sound here is richer that the tinniness of the vinyl version.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2444 on: May 29, 2017, 01:44:47 PM »

Yes, and look what happened to them eh...?  lol:
Amazing that they've been going well over 50 years and still can belt it out.  That Glastonbury performance was brilliant.

Anyway back to topic:  should I buy it like?