Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 405867 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2008, 10:11:04 AM »
Ok and now back to normal service with a DVD set I would recommend, Dexter.

For those members who enjoy the CSI shows Dexter is a must. The main protagonist, Dexter, is a criminalist with a dark secret. He is in fact a serial killer. Trained in the 'code' by his late policeman foster father Dexter goes after the criminals that evade justice and meets out ther due.

Dexter himself, while obviously a flawed character is likeable and his mental commentary is absolute genius in places.

Overall if you have enjoyed CSI and have a dark sense of humour then this show is for you.  happy088
I got this for my Birthday but I haven't watched it yet...  noooo:

<iframe src="http://rcm-uk.amazon.co.uk/e/cm?t=virtualpub-21&o=2&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0014J89JA&fc1=000000&IS2=1<1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
It is complete utter, utter shite of the highest order…  noooo:

And there was I going to order it. Thanks for the tip off BM

I second that.

I was just about to click the 'submit order' button.

Lucky escape
Indeed... even tho I would have made my fortune from your order and prolly invested in lucky turnips you have made the right decision...  noooo:

Your selfless honesty has touched my heart.

I shall send you a free lucky turnip right away.  sad32:
Excellent!  cloud9:

Honesty really is the best policy after all...  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2008, 09:14:54 AM »
Watched 'In the valley of Elah' last night. Tommy Lee Jones as superb as ever. Highly reccommended.  cloud9:

GM stylee review : Naked wimmin about but no fornication.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Valley-Elah-Charlize-Theron/dp/B0012XQJ9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1214039551&sr=1-1
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2008, 09:36:39 PM »
GM stylee review : Naked wimmin about but no fornication.

cussing:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Mrs TG

• Fool Member
  • Scouse and proud!!
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2008, 04:34:19 PM »
Just watched Cloverfield, dont waste yr time an money....thats all i can say..very dissapointed.. sad32:
Listen to the whispers of your heart, for there resides your strength of spirit and the goodness of your soul.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
Just watched Cloverfield, dont waste yr time an money....thats all i can say..very dissapointed.. sad32:

No nekkid wimmin or fornication?
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2008, 04:41:32 PM »

No nekkid wimmin or fornication?

Nope. 90 mins I will never get back.  cry:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2008, 04:44:14 PM »
 happy100

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2008, 05:44:19 PM »
I'll start you off with The book Thief

Book Description
The story of a young German girl who steals books, of her family and the Jewish boxer hidden in their basement as they struggle to survive in Nazi Germany when the bombs begin to fall.

Synopsis
1939 - Nazi Germany - The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier. Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall. Some important information - this novel is narrated by death. It's a small story, about: a girl; an accordionist; some fanatical Germans; a Jewish fist fighter; and quite a lot of thievery. Another thing you should know - death will visit the book thief three times.

Reader's Comments
The most amazing book I have ever read... cried my eyes out... a must purchase read.  happy088

Can't remember if I told you but I did order "The Book Thief".
Yes it is good. Yes I did cry, I defy anyone who reads it not to.

I have just finished ('bout three minutes ago) "It Just Occurred To Me" by Humphrey Littleton. Extremely funny, informative and a damned good read. Available from Amazon ~ BM will, I hope, post a link as despite his careful instructions I seem unable to make the link thingy work.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2008, 06:10:18 AM »
I'll start you off with The book Thief

Book Description
The story of a young German girl who steals books, of her family and the Jewish boxer hidden in their basement as they struggle to survive in Nazi Germany when the bombs begin to fall.

Synopsis
1939 - Nazi Germany - The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier. Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall. Some important information - this novel is narrated by death. It's a small story, about: a girl; an accordionist; some fanatical Germans; a Jewish fist fighter; and quite a lot of thievery. Another thing you should know - death will visit the book thief three times.

Reader's Comments
The most amazing book I have ever read... cried my eyes out... a must purchase read.  happy088

Can't remember if I told you but I did order "The Book Thief".
Yes it is good. Yes I did cry, I defy anyone who reads it not to.

I have just finished ('bout three minutes ago) "It Just Occurred To Me" by Humphrey Littleton. Extremely funny, informative and a damned good read. Available from Amazon ~ BM will, I hope, post a link as despite his careful instructions I seem unable to make the link thingy work.
Here...

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2008, 10:40:54 AM »
Fanks ~ brilliant book by Humph. Funny and informative.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2008, 11:15:38 AM »
Its time for another GM Stylee review. This time its Batman - Dark Knight.

Far darker than the first film, Dark Knight brings about Batman's greatest nemesis, The Joker. The has more of the feel of the graphic novels in the way that the Joker is portrayed. When Jack Nickolson was cast as the Joker in Tim Burton's Batman he played the character with a degree of  twisted comedy that softened the character to a degree. Ledgers Joker pulls no punches, he's a psycho, he knows he's a psycho and he revels in it.

The interaction between the Joker and Harvey Dent is brilliantly done, for those of you who don't know the batman story I'll leave that one to you to find out for yourselves.

If you enjoyed Batman Begins then this is well worth going to see.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2008, 11:17:50 AM »
Its time for another GM Stylee review. This time its Batman - Dark Knight.

Far darker than the first film, Dark Knight brings about Batman's greatest nemesis, The Joker. The has more of the feel of the graphic novels in the way that the Joker is portrayed. When Jack Nickolson was cast as the Joker in Tim Burton's Batman he played the character with a degree of  twisted comedy that softened the character to a degree. Ledgers Joker pulls no punches, he's a psycho, he knows he's a psycho and he revels in it.

The interaction between the Joker and Harvey Dent is brilliantly done, for those of you who don't know the batman story I'll leave that one to you to find out for yourselves.

If you enjoyed Batman Begins then this is well worth going to see.

You forgot to mention if there is any shagging it.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2008, 11:29:28 AM »
None but plenty of action.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2008, 11:31:55 AM »
None but plenty of action.

But there is action and then again "action" eyes:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »
Well you could say there is a lot of bat on clown action but I'm not sure its the type you want dirty hound  whistle: