Disgusterous

Author Topic: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)  (Read 405118 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: The All New Book & DVD Review Thread (And Gift Hints)
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2008, 06:34:35 AM »
For Tailgunner...

Looks a bit technical for the likes of me.  cry:
how 'bout this then?

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2008, 08:24:21 AM »
Read that. Highly reccomended.  razz:
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 01:20:59 PM »
Ok I'm going to try something different here and review a film having only watched the trailer. The film is called teeth and appears to be about a young lass who finds that part of her body is possessed by a demon and grows another set of teeth, feeding upon any unfortunate man she gets 'friendly' with.   eeek:

Just what were the writers and execs thinking/smoking when they came up with this?

Basically taking Porkies and crossing it with any gory horror movie.

If you are going to go to the cinema go and see Mongol instead.  noooo:

If for some bizarre reason you want to know more about the film, here's the website:

http://www.teethmovie.com/
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 01:22:46 PM by Grumpmeister »
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2008, 10:02:06 AM »
Ok and now back to normal service with a DVD set I would recommend, Dexter.

For those members who enjoy the CSI shows Dexter is a must. The main protagonist, Dexter, is a criminalist with a dark secret. He is in fact a serial killer. Trained in the 'code' by his late policeman foster father Dexter goes after the criminals that evade justice and meets out ther due.

Dexter himself, while obviously a flawed character is likeable and his mental commentary is absolute genius in places.

Overall if you have enjoyed CSI and have a dark sense of humour then this show is for you.  happy088
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2008, 10:14:48 AM »
So it's a sort of "Death Wish" without Charles Bronson then.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2008, 10:20:41 AM »
Not really, death wish was just about revenge. This is more a flawed character's efforts to serve justice.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »
 rubschin: I seem to recall a film with a similar theme. Clint Eastwood hunting down some rogue cops who took the law into their own hands. One of the rogue cops was played by David Soul.

Are there no new plot lines  angry041:
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2008, 10:39:02 AM »
There are some similarities but the basic plotline is different, and the interaction between Dexter and the Icebox Killer is really well done. Dexter's mental commentary had me in stitches a few times, although I admit I have an extremely dark sense of humour.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »

For those members who enjoy the CSI shows Dexter is a must. The main protagonist, Dexter, is a criminalist with a dark secret. He is in fact a serial killer. Trained in the 'code' by his late policeman foster father Dexter goes after the criminals that evade justice and meets out ther due.

Dexter himself, while obviously a flawed character is likeable and his mental commentary is absolute genius in places.

Overall if you have enjoyed CSI and have a dark sense of humour then this show is for you.  happy088
I got this for my Birthday but I haven't watched it yet...  noooo:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2008, 10:58:31 AM »
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2008, 07:01:46 AM »

It is complete utter, utter shite of the highest order…  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2008, 07:28:50 AM »

<iframe src="http://rcm-uk.amazon.co.uk/e/cm?t=virtualpub-21&o=2&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0014J89JA&fc1=000000&IS2=1<1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

And there was I going to order it. Thanks for the tip off BM
LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2008, 07:51:17 AM »

<iframe src="http://rcm-uk.amazon.co.uk/e/cm?t=virtualpub-21&o=2&p=8&l=as1&asins=B0014J89JA&fc1=000000&IS2=1<1=_blank&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I second that.

I was just about to click the 'submit order' button.

Lucky escape
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2008, 08:55:27 AM »

I second that.

Lucky escape
Indeed... even tho I would have made my fortune from your order and prolly invested in lucky turnips you have made the right decision...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2008, 08:58:16 AM »

I second that.

Lucky escape
Indeed... even tho I would have made my fortune from your order and prolly invested in lucky turnips you have made the right decision...  noooo:

Your selfless honesty has touched my heart.

I shall send you a free lucky turnip right away.  sad32:
I mostly despair