Disgusterous

Author Topic: Man charged over bakery killing  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Man charged over bakery killing
« on: May 15, 2008, 09:40:33 AM »
Quote from: BBC Web Shite
A 19-year-old man has been charged with murdering a teenager who died in a bakery shop in south-east London.

Jake Fahri is accused of killing Jimmy Mizen in the Three Cooks store on Burnt Ash Hill in Lee.

The victim, who turned 16 a day before his death, suffered a fatal neck injury from a shard of glass while in the bakery with one of his brothers.

Source

Why does every single news report mention that this young man was killed a day after his sixteenth birthday?  rubschin:

Is it supposed to be more tragic that it was just after or less because he managed to have a ripping day the day before?  shrugs:

Would it be relevant if it were two days after, three, four?

I just don’t understand the relevance.  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
Re: Man charged over bakery killing
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:46:46 AM »
A 19-year-old man has been charged with murdering a teenager who died in a bakery shop in south-east London.

Jake Fahri is accused of killing Jimmy Mizen in the Three Cooks store on Burnt Ash Hill in Lee.

The victim, who turned 16 a day before his death, suffered a fatal neck injury from a shard of glass while in the bakery with one of his brothers.

Source

Why does every single news report mention that this young man was killed a day after his sixteenth birthday?  rubschin:

Is it supposed to be more tragic that it was just after or less because he managed to have a ripping day the day before?  shrugs:

Er..because he was? Also on his way to buy his first lottery ticket the poor bastard. Are your heart strings suitably tugged?
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:50:39 AM »

Source

Er..because he was? Also on his way to buy his first lottery ticket the poor bastard. Are your heart strings suitably tugged?
No...  noooo:

Perhaps my brian isn't wored-up right - I just don't see the relevence.

A 16 y/o was murdered - end of. No need for us to know when his birthday was.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:58:58 AM »
Reporters or more particularly editors are obsessed with age/colour etc. It helps, they feel, to enable their readers to "identify" with the people in the article. It's known as "human interest".

In this case I would say that it is relevant as the reason the boy was in the shop was that he wanted to legally buy his first lottery ticket and his father, for who he worked part time, had given him the day off to celebrate his birthday and this little trip was part of the lad's personal celebration. Equally relevant is that the following day was to have been his last day at school. All things that a lad of that age would have been looking forward to. That his "special" weekend should have been so tragically curtailed is particularly poignant.

So whilst I agree that often age is not relevant to the report, in this case I think it really is vital if the story is to have any impact on an increasingly blase readership. These additional details, together with the brave and Chrisitian way in which his family have spoken about their feelings, have certainly made me personally take more notice of the story.

I have not dismissed this as "Oh another fvckin' little scrote getting into bother and paying for it ~ serve him right" because this is just so plainly a nice lad from a decent family going about his lawful business, with everything in the world to live for and this happens to him. Without the details, age, church, family, last day at school, apprenticeship lined up to start, his murder would have meant nothing to me. Now I feel bloody angry about it and determined to bend the ear of my MP to try, in my small way, to do something about the society in which it could happen. It also brings home to me just how random these things are nowadays and that makes me fearful to let my own children out of my sight.

I shall now remove my editor's hat.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 10:10:17 AM »
Good points well made!  happy088
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »
Perhaps my Brian isn't whored-up right - I just don't see the relevance.

I think there has to be some kind of grey-scale of relevance here.

I think it is more tragic if a new father is killed in a crash while on his way to see his newborn child for the first time, not just "man dies in car crash".

The opposite end of the scale is "Murdered blonde shared birthday with Diana and owned a white Fiat"  ::)  noooo:

Anyway, who is this whoring Brian to whom you refer?
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:19:13 AM »
Perhaps my Brian isn't whored-up right - I just don't see the relevance.

I think there has to be some kind of grey-scale of relevance here.

I think it is more tragic if a new father is killed in a crash while on his way to see his newborn child for the first time, not just "man dies in car crash".

The opposite end of the scale is "Murdered blonde shared birthday with Diana and owned a white Fiat"  ::)  noooo:

Anyway, who is this whoring Brian to whom you refer?
redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 10:36:21 AM »
The simple truth is that as long as we have a society with a criminal element that has no sense of cause and effect this is going to be a recurring story. Cherie and Tony did a blinding job of completely buggering up the justice system in order to line their pockets when they were finally forced out of number 10. By giving the criminal more rights than the victim there is now no deterrent for criminal activity.

Its time that changed. I watched a video the other night and the FACT blurb at the start stated that copying DVD's carries an unlimited fine as well as jail time. I think that a similar system should be introduced for all crimes with the amount weighter depending on the crime commited. That would be a start at least and would fund the other changes that sorely need to be made such as making sure that prison was an unpleasant place to have to be instead of the three star hotels we have now.
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »
The simple truth is that as long as we have a society with a criminal element that has no sense of cause and effect this is going to be a recurring story. Cherie and Tony did a blinding job of completely buggering up the justice system in order to line their pockets when they were finally forced out of number 10. By giving the criminal more rights than the victim there is now no deterrent for criminal activity.

Its time that changed. I watched a video the other night and the FACT blurb at the start stated that copying DVD's carries an unlimited fine as well as jail time. I think that a similar system should be introduced for all crimes with the amount weighter depending on the crime commited. That would be a start at least and would fund the other changes that sorely need to be made such as making sure that prison was an unpleasant place to have to be instead of the three star hotels we have now.

I mentioned this some time ago in 'another place'.

I wish I could remember the name of the book, but it had the theory that every crime carried the death penalty as the only punishment.

They then had a kind of ERNIE machine to decide the probablility of it being carried out for the given crime or getting off.

Murder had 99% and riding a bicycle without lights had 0.000001%

No prisons needed and a healthy fear of authority all round.  ;D

I mostly despair

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 10:51:53 AM »
I recall it was John Stuart Mill who said that the severity of punishment for any crime was less important than the certainty of punishment.

Wht are Police detection rates again?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 10:55:51 AM »
I recall it was John Stuart Mill who said that the severity of punishment for any crime was less important than the certainty of punishment.

Precisely…

Too many holes in the system mean that the chances of getting caught and properly punished are minimal.  Banghead
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 12:28:44 PM »

Of course that begs the question if you were 100% certain you could get away with a crime would you commit it?

After all, the reason you or I don't commit crime is because it's morally wrong and not through fear of getting caught.

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 12:30:10 PM »
After all, the reason you or I don't commit crime is because it's morally wrong and not through fear of getting caught.

happy001 happy001 happy001 happy001

redface:

Yes, indeed Mort.
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 01:54:55 PM »
 redface:

I wish I had your faith in me Mort
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 03:03:17 PM »
Of course that begs the question if you were 100% certain you could get away with a crime would you commit it?

I hate to say it but if I was 100% certain I could get away with dealing with the little scrote who made my sisters life a misery and bombarded my parents with abusive calls then he would vanish. I can see what you are saying but watching officer friendly wring his hands in mock sympathy and then go on about his own problems even when we had a recording of the little scum making a call threatening mum's dog he did absolutely SFA. Apparetnyl recording him without his permission isnt legally admissable in court, even though he was stupid enough to make the threat on an answerphone.

The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.