Author Topic: "Sending a message"  (Read 4099 times)

grumpyoldsoldier

Re: "Sending a message"
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 08:11:05 PM »
I am having a shit day today thanks…  Banghead

And it is supposed to be a bloody Bank Holiday here – Cyprus National Day, celebrating kicking the brits out…  noooo:

I remember it well, being kicked out of bars in Limassol, I didn't realise they celebrated it though

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 05:06:59 AM »
I am having a shit day today thanks…  Banghead

And it is supposed to be a bloody Bank Holiday here – Cyprus National Day, celebrating kicking the brits out…  noooo:

I remember it well, being kicked out of bars in Limassol, I didn't realise they celebrated it though
Indeed, they mention you personally…  whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »
I just knew that doing the dance of the flaming arseholes during the lunch time session would be a hit. Even the police were impressed eeek:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 03:22:54 PM »
The only time I've ever heard that dance mentioned with regards to the Army GOS it involved a tin of boot polish and a lighter???  eeek: eeek: eeek: eeek:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Bar Wench

• Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2008, 03:23:29 PM »
In my memory it has involved a tin of beans and a lighter.

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2008, 03:25:13 PM »
Beans and boot polish to tend to occupy much of Army life.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2008, 06:28:17 PM »
The only time I've ever heard that dance mentioned with regards to the Army GOS it involved a tin of boot polish and a lighter???  eeek: eeek: eeek: eeek:
Actually cherubs the dance itself is quite regimental in that different units used different methods to achieve the same end(  whistle: ) because my unit was a technical  branch we employed a more refined dance than the grunts in the infantry. The preferred method was to disrobe from the waist down, insert a couple of rolled up newspaper sheets between the cheeks of one's bottom, we preferred one of the broadsheets, i.e The Telegraph.( A better burn) Jenkins once used the Sun in full view of the mess and invited guests, he was drummed out of the regiment course. The last we heard was that he was doing missionary work in the East ( of London that is). But I digress, the dancer would the mount the podium and set light to the paper and dance using a lots of Shakira type hip movements. It was a regimental tradition to allow audience participation which involved  aiming and squeezing jets of lighter fluid from  small rubber lighter refill petrol tubes in the direction of the newspaper. The longer and the more frenzied the dancer and the dance increased the dancers street cred. Extra brownie points were award for the number and variation of howls of pain
This tradition like a lot of military traditions lost favour over time when a number of drinking establishments were burnt down due to the younger element of the audience finding out that using cans of lighter fuel was much more fun. The other methods described by your dear  readers are still in use amongst the cavalry units who have access to large amounts of polish.
Regards Gos.
 Lance Corporal retired. VC and scar, WC and chain and Blue Peter badge.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 06:30:35 PM »
not too sure about the cavalry side GOS, the chaps who mentioned it to me were Light Infantry  rubschin:
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 07:16:11 PM »
What is this thread about?
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 07:27:30 PM »
not too sure about the cavalry side GOS, the chaps who mentioned it to me were Light Infantry  rubschin:
eyes:

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 07:28:27 PM »
What is this thread about?
Celebrations in Cyprus methinks

Offline Landlady

• Fool Member
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2008, 08:35:52 PM »
You shall suffer.
Indeed... I just bought the new watch...  redface:

Who bought the watch  ::)
Me thinks I have been a tad manipulated here somehow  cussing: somedays, sometimes you just have to go  surrender: surrender: surrender: though don't you  eeek: eeek: eeek:

Offline Landlady

• Fool Member
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2008, 08:38:53 PM »
Actually cherubs the dance itself is quite regimental in that different units used different methods to achieve the same end(  whistle: ) because my unit was a technical branch we employed a more refined dance than the grunts in the infantry. The preferred method was to disrobe from the waist down, insert a couple of rolled up newspaper sheets between the cheeks of one's bottom, we preferred one of the broadsheets, i.e The Telegraph.( A better burn) Jenkins once used the Sun in full view of the mess and invited guests, he was drummed out of the regiment course. The last we heard was that he was doing missionary work in the East ( of London that is). But I digress, the dancer would the mount the podium and set light to the paper and dance using a lots of Shakira type hip movements. It was a regimental tradition to allow audience participation which involved aiming and squeezing jets of lighter fluid from small rubber lighter refill petrol tubes in the direction of the newspaper. The longer and the more frenzied the dancer and the dance increased the dancers street cred. Extra brownie points were award for the number and variation of howls of pain
This tradition like a lot of military traditions lost favour over time when a number of drinking establishments were burnt down due to the younger element of the audience finding out that using cans of lighter fuel was much more fun. The other methods described by your dear  readers are still in use amongst the cavalry units who have access to large amounts of polish.
Regards Gos.
 Lance Corporal retired. VC and scar, WC and chain and Blue Peter badge.

That's a wonderful story GOS and bought vivid visualisation in front of my eyes  shocked003

Here as you probably know its a little tamer (in that the person with the lit paper doesn't disrobe) but then its a tad more silly because we allow children to follow around behind ( drumroll:) supposedly trying to blow the bugger's lit bum out  whacky115 whacky115

grumpyoldsoldier

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2008, 11:09:24 PM »
 whistle: There is a lot to be said for village life LL lol: lol: lol: lol: and thank you.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2008, 04:03:20 AM »
whistle: There is a lot to be said for village life LL lol: lol: lol: lol: and thank you.
Excellent historical narrative GOS – have the clap.  happy088
Pro Skub  Thumbs: