Disgusterous

Author Topic: Derek Robinson ? Kentucky Blues  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Derek Robinson ? Kentucky Blues
« on: April 27, 2007, 06:51:10 AM »
I?ve been a long-term fan of Robinson?s work. He has an excellent sense of humour (IMHO) and has produced a line of ?faction? novels about fighter pilots in the first and second world wars. An author?s note? at the end of each book explains where fact ends and fiction begins?

This book is on a completely different subject but continues the ?faction? theme. It is about settlers in Kentucky in the 1830?s, the slave trade and a feud between two families.

An excellent read ? a five thumbs rating!
 thumbsup: thumbsup: thumbsup: thumbsup: thumbsup:

Amazon Link

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 10:07:37 AM by Barman »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
Re: Derek Robinson ? Kentucky Blues
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 06:28:48 PM »
I read it last year.  Robinson is a superp writer and a book based around slavery in the US was certainly a change for him.  But like all his other fiction it is both funny and hard hitting.

I would also recommend "Invasion:1940" a non fiction book by Robinson that puts the battle of Britain in a somewhat different light.

I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 05:32:41 AM »
I read it last year.  Robinson is a superp writer and a book based around slavery in the US was certainly a change for him.  But like all his other fiction it is both funny and hard hitting.

I would also recommend "Invasion:1940" a non fiction book by Robinson that puts the battle of Britain in a somewhat different light.

I?ve read it too! In fact I?ve read almost everything he?s written apart from a couple of the early ?spy? stories which I?ve been unable to obtain.

I thought ?Invasion? was good but a little biased. I agree (and several other historians have proposed it) that it would have been almost impossible to two invasion barges across the channel without first suppressing the Royal Navy.

However, in the book I feel he takes the anti-RAF stance a little too far and the book is unbalanced because of it.

Amazon Link
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:19:56 PM »
Amazon link? Blimey, are you on commission?
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 05:35:58 AM »
Amazon link? Blimey, are you on commission?
I wish!  happy001

No, all part of the service sir!  happy088
Pro Skub  Thumbs: