Author Topic: Random image thread.  (Read 1465921 times)

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Random image thread.
« Reply #345 on: April 18, 2008, 12:06:07 PM »

This picture was taken in 1918. It is 18,000 soldiers preparing to go to war from training camp at Camp Dodge in Iowa.   

The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #346 on: April 18, 2008, 12:09:40 PM »

This picture was taken in 1918. It is 18,000 soldiers preparing to go to war from training camp at Camp Dodge in Iowa.   

Excellent picture... I wonder how many of the poor sods came back...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #347 on: April 18, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
Prolly most of them. They were a bit late for main event.
I think my cat wants to kill me...

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #348 on: April 18, 2008, 12:17:22 PM »
Prolly most of them. They were a bit late for main event.
They were killing each other up to and after the armistice on 11th November...

Remember, we lost 100,000 on one day in 1916 – they could get through 18,000 in no time at all…  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #349 on: April 18, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »
Mildly interesting story ..... On our village War Memorial there is listed, as you would expect, the names of local servicemen lost in both wars. It also names their regiments and one is listed as being a serving member of the US Infantry. Not often you find US servicemen on British War Memorials so my curiosity was aroused.  
Turned out, when I looked into it closer, that the young man in question found himself in the USA and enlisted there. Certainly he was young and did not enlist until 1918. He was killed in action within two weeks of landing in Europe in ..................... 1918.
I believe that Fort Dodge is in Texas and that is the state where the young man enlisted (US Records only give the State of enlistment). There is every chance that Private Cartwright was in that picture.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #350 on: April 18, 2008, 12:24:42 PM »
Mildly interesting story ..... On our village War Memorial there is listed, as you would expect, the names of local servicemen lost in both wars. It also names their regiments and one is listed as being a serving member of the US Infantry. Not often you find US servicemen on British War Memorials so my curiosity was aroused. 
Turned out, when I looked into it closer, that the young man in question found himself in the USA and enlisted there. Certainly he was young and did not enlist until 1918. He was killed in action within two weeks of landing in Europe in ..................... 1918.
I believe that Fort Dodge is in Texas and that is the state where the young man enlisted (US Records only give the State of enlistment). There is every chance that Private Cartwright was in that picture.
Wow... makes you think doesn't it...?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #351 on: April 18, 2008, 12:26:11 PM »
It is a bloody small and slightly spooky world isn't it?

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #352 on: April 18, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »
It is a bloody small and slightly spooky world isn't it?
It was for Pte Cartwright, poor sod.
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #353 on: April 18, 2008, 01:15:09 PM »
To complete the story Norman Cartwright went over to the States with his Father who was a vet. The Father was employed to buy horses (his speciality apparently) for the Army, leaving his practice in this village in the hands of his elder son and daughter. Youngest boy went along for the ride but, on reaching an appropriate age, joined up to "get into the action" before it was all over. He was, as I say, killed in action shortly after his regiment reached the front line. The father never got over it and died not long after his return to the UK. The Elder son and daughter carried on with the practice (she as "nurse" and "receptionist/secretary") until the 60s when both died within a couple of years of one another. Neither ever married. In his declining years the brother took on a young man as a partner. This chap carried on the practice for many years finally merging with another in Prestatyn. He is, obviously, now old, but still lives locally in North Wales and he contacted me when I mentioned the things I had discovered in the village magazine. He gave me the full story. The brother donated the land on which the village war memorial now stands to the village in the early 50s and the memorial was erected by the local council who advertised for names to go on it as no-one had an accurate record. The memorial is just across the road from my house.
The large house in the top left of the picture is their house, the low building to the right, immediately behind the memorial garden wall is the practice offices and stables, now the house is home to a local artist and her daughter (also an artist) and the practice office and stables are their studio. I just took the pic from my front gate.

PS
The Old Vet's surgery etc hardly shows in the picture now I look at it properly. Funny how what is on the screen of the camera is never quite what comes out when you "save" the picture
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 01:29:05 PM by Snoopy »

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #354 on: April 18, 2008, 02:09:53 PM »
If you were around in 1919 (just before prohibition started) and came upon the following poster.......

Would you quit drinking?

Or would you start?

I thought prostitution was around long before 1919?
I mostly despair

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #355 on: April 18, 2008, 02:16:26 PM »
There is some debate as to which came first.
 Selling booze or selling sex.
Personally I think selling sex is slightly older but only just.

Online Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #356 on: April 18, 2008, 02:40:37 PM »
To complete the story Norman Cartwright went over to the States with his Father who was a vet. The Father was employed to buy horses (his speciality apparently) for the Army, leaving his practice in this village in the hands of his elder son and daughter. Youngest boy went along for the ride but, on reaching an appropriate age, joined up to "get into the action" before it was all over. He was, as I say, killed in action shortly after his regiment reached the front line. The father never got over it and died not long after his return to the UK. The Elder son and daughter carried on with the practice (she as "nurse" and "receptionist/secretary") until the 60s when both died within a couple of years of one another. Neither ever married. In his declining years the brother took on a young man as a partner. This chap carried on the practice for many years finally merging with another in Prestatyn. He is, obviously, now old, but still lives locally in North Wales and he contacted me when I mentioned the things I had discovered in the village magazine. He gave me the full story. The brother donated the land on which the village war memorial now stands to the village in the early 50s and the memorial was erected by the local council who advertised for names to go on it as no-one had an accurate record. The memorial is just across the road from my house.
The large house in the top left of the picture is their house, the low building to the right, immediately behind the memorial garden wall is the practice offices and stables, now the house is home to a local artist and her daughter (also an artist) and the practice office and stables are their studio. I just took the pic from my front gate.

PS
The Old Vet's surgery etc hardly shows in the picture now I look at it properly. Funny how what is on the screen of the camera is never quite what comes out when you "save" the picture

Thanks for that...

I'm just reading this, think you would like it...
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
« Reply #357 on: April 18, 2008, 03:17:20 PM »
Yes I would like it ~ I have "Forgotten Voices" and didn't know he'd done another. I have now ordered it. Thanks.

Offline TG

• Fool Member
« Reply #358 on: April 21, 2008, 01:07:13 PM »

I think my cat wants to kill me...

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #359 on: April 21, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »
I mostly despair