Author Topic: Laptops  (Read 2908 times)

stowford

Laptops
« on: May 13, 2007, 08:04:01 PM »
Does anyone else have a problem with their laptop all of a sudden moving words/sentenhe pageces to a completgely different part of t.   e what I mean?

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Laptops
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 08:10:52 PM »
Does anyone else have a problem with their laptop all of a sudden moving words/sentenhe pageces to a completgely different part of t.   e what I mean?

No, that?ll be the booze?   whistle:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

stowford

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 08:30:12 PM »
Newcastle Brown Ale (Are you stocking that yet?) may play a part but, generally laptop is to blame. 
words/sentenhe pageces to a completgely different part of t.    e
You don't really think that that's my fault do you?. . . .

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 09:31:58 PM »
It helps if you keep all your clothes on while typing.
I mostly despair

Misunderstood

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 11:38:31 PM »

It's quite possible that you are (accidently) creating macros by brushing lightly over the 'mouse' sensor pad, they can do so many things now by touching different parts that a unintentional light swipe across the whole surface when not intended can give it and you a nervous breakdown.

I believe they have become so sensitive that static from your hand may be enough as is passes over the pad.

It used to drive me to distraction until I plugged a USB mouse in and disabled the pad.

Failing that, cover it with a bit of cardboard when typing.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 06:42:02 AM »

It's quite possible that you are (accidently) creating macros by brushing lightly over the 'mouse' sensor pad, they can do so many things now by touching different parts that a unintentional light swipe across the whole surface when not intended can give it and you a nervous breakdown.

I believe they have become so sensitive that static from your hand may be enough as is passes over the pad.

It used to drive me to distraction until I plugged a USB mouse in and disabled the pad.

Failing that, cover it with a bit of cardboard when typing.
Agreed ? on one of my laptops I had to disable the pad thingy as it was so sensitive that I would brush over it while typing and do all sorts of damage to my text.

However, now I tam doing more work ?in the field? I have re-trained myself to use the pads instead of the mouse.

Its fairly stupid that one of the options on the pad software isn?t ?disable when USB mouse connected?
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 09:52:05 AM »
Its only a thought but check the windows device manager, the pad should in theory have some reference in there and you should be able to use the properties option to disable it.

The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

stowford

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 02:49:15 PM »
Thanks for your help (except DS).  Have now disabled touchpad thing and will see how that goes.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 03:10:26 PM »
It helps if you keep all your clothes on while typing.

:lalalala
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.