Author Topic: Your "most favourite" car owned  (Read 10590 times)

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
Your "most favourite" car owned
« on: September 11, 2007, 05:25:59 PM »
Running on from the "Your first car" thread, there's surely the one that you enjoyed most - for whatever reason - and were sad to part with  sad24:

Mine? A beautiful TVR S2. Midnight blue, cream leather interior, went like proverbial sh*t off a shovel, sounded marvellous...

Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Your "most favourite" car owned
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 06:22:44 PM »
My XJR  sad24:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 06:47:23 PM »
 sad24:

That must have hurt  sad24:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 06:59:09 PM »
My:

It got nicked, "Used in the pursuit of crime" and wrecked by the police.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 07:28:10 PM »
Never had a favourite car, not that interested in them and they are just a means of getting from A to B.

As long as they start, need very little attention and are cheap to run then that's good enough.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 05:25:06 AM »
sad24:

That must have hurt  sad24:
Indeed, I sold it to come out here. Right decition in hindsight but the depreciation was crippling...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 07:40:18 AM »
I'm afraid my favourites are a little more mundane.
Never even been in a Jag tbh, or a TVR. redface:

Been in a Lambo Gallarado and DB9 last year though....as a passenger. ::)

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:18:24 AM »
Mine would have to be this one:

My old 1948 Morris 8 Series E that I owned for a few years prior to going to live in France for a time.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 10:38:17 AM »

Crazy I know, but with the 1.6 Pug. 205 Gti engine under the bonnet, and very low weight, it was an absolute hoot to drive.

Offline Nick

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 10:44:14 AM »
I liked Lulu! Pity about the brakes!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Misunderstood

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 10:52:21 AM »
Mine would have to be this one:

My old 1948 Morris 8 Series E that I owned for a few years prior to going to live in France for a time.

Ye Gods!  I taught myself to drive in one of those!  But it looked bigger...  eyes:   My elder brother worked nights and I used to steal the keys and drive around the bomb site behing our house.  Once our next-door asked me to tow-start his Austin 7 and it needed us to go out onto the road where I came across a police car...   They said eight-year-olds have no business driving on roads and instructed me to drive around the block and back onto the dump.   cloud9:  Those were the days!  the 7 started and I went home...  My brother found out and when he got over yelling, gave me the keys.   ;)   My uncle was a police driver and started me on some serious training so I never really looked back from there...

The following year, I bought a wreck of a Vespa for 30/-  and spent the summer hols figuring out how it worked and what was wrong with it.  I was the only kid that rode to school on a scooter  ;)  but I used to hide it around the corner... just in case any of the teachers got snotty about it...

Amazing what a picture can do...

Offline Nick

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 11:53:09 AM »
I also used to hire Citroen 2CVs from an outfit called Two Horse Hire. Like driving a very slow Spitfire (aeroplane). I once picked up a hitchhiker. He said it was like "being in a moving tent". I nearly dropped him off again  evil: Once had a race with a Porsche  in a 2CV on an otherwise empty M1 late one New Year's Eve. He won noooo:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

• Fool Member
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 01:20:31 PM »
I also used to hire Citroen 2CVs from an outfit called Two Horse Hire. Like driving a very slow Spitfire (aeroplane). I once picked up a hitchhiker. He said it was like "being in a moving tent". I nearly dropped him off again  evil: Once had a race with a Porsche  in a 2CV on an otherwise empty M1 late one New Year's Eve. He won noooo:

Great little cars the 2CV (or Deux Chevaux). Even had air conditioning and cruise control - or at least mine did.

Air-con was virtue of two little flaps above the dash which could be opened to allow a force 9 gale in to keep you cool.

Cruise control (at least in mine) consisted of a house brick! I kid you not. I used to use it for trips down the M1 - simply join the motorway, attempt to attain max cruising speed (between 50 and 75 depending on the incline) and drop the brick on the throttle, sit back and enjoy the ride. My record was (in the early hours) from the M6/A5 junction, all the way to Mill Hill in North Londonistan without removing the brick!

Cornering was also interesting! The thing used to sway alarmingly but always went round the corner. I'm told that Citroen offered a cash reward to anyone who could overturn one in normal motoring!

The suspension too was phenomenal. Whilst in France I had a 2CV - local back road was ex-railway line so almost straight and gentle downward slope. To slow cars down they'd installed many Gendarmes dormant (sleeping policemen) or traffic humps. If taken as 'sensible' speeds, the wretched thing bounced up and down like a toddler in a bouncy castle! If, however, you took them at >50kph then it just went 'thump - thump' and sailed straight over with no bounce or wallow at all! Great for overtaking manouvres.

Bring back the 2CV I say!

Piccy:

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 01:24:00 PM »
Oh christ. ANOTHER car I want. I need a bloody mansion with a very large barn to stuff all these motors in.
Drove one once, and was totally smitten. Going up in value now too.

• Fool Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 01:25:07 PM »
Oh christ. ANOTHER car I want. I need a bloody mansion with a very large barn to stuff all these motors in.
Drove one once, and was totally smitten. Going up in value now too.

What? The 2CV? Growler?   confused2: