Author Topic: Gadget wot I got for my birthday  (Read 4102 times)

Online Steve

• Power Poster
Gadget wot I got for my birthday
« on: December 13, 2016, 10:49:21 PM »
Sad sucker for gadgets that I am . . . .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nuclear-Radiation-Detector-Counter-Android-x/dp/B011IZCWCY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481668773&sr=8-3&keywords=geiger+counter

yep a Geiger counter you plug in the earphone socket of the smart phone.  Not bad for £25

As it happens years ago we bought this antique miniature Rye Pottery jar - painted in Uranium Orange.  And next to it the radiation level is 11 uSv/hr which turns out to be equivalent to twice the maximum annual dose  scared2:

Still at least I know the antique seller was telling the truth.  Prolly the main reason I wanted the toy. 
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Gadget wot I got for my birthday
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 06:19:50 AM »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nuclear-Radiation-Detector-Counter-Android-x/dp/B011IZCWCY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481668773&sr=8-3&keywords=geiger+counter

yep a Geiger counter you plug in the earphone socket of the smart phone.  Not bad for £25

As it happens years ago we bought this antique miniature Rye Pottery jar - painted in Uranium Orange.  And next to it the radiation level is 11 uSv/hr which turns out to be equivalent to twice the maximum annual dose  scared2:

Still at least I know the antique seller was telling the truth.  Prolly the main reason I wanted the toy.

This item does not ship to Cyprus.

evil:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 07:54:53 AM »

evil:

Well if you really want one . . . . .

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 08:10:39 AM »

evil:

Buy it on ebay!  Thumbs:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 08:34:49 AM »

evil:

Buy it on ebay!  Thumbs:
Yep they do sell it there but it costs more

One annoying thing is it doesn't do the clicking that classic Geigers do. Two reasons: the sensing area (the tip of the plug in) is much smaller so has less events but mainly because it plugs in the headphone socket there is no speaker available to make the clicking

This is what you get

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »

evil:

Buy it on ebay!  Thumbs:

One annoying thing is it doesn't do the clicking that classic Geigers do. Two reasons: the sensing area (the tip of the plug in) is much smaller so has less events but mainly because it plugs in the headphone socket there is no speaker available to make the clicking

This is what you get

Cool!  Thumbs:

Many years ago (~10?) trucks started dumping great big piles of white rocks in a field up the road from us.

The strange thing was that the rocks came in sealed 40 foot shipping containers instead of in normal 'tipper' trucks.  When they got here, the driver unlocked the back doors (snigger) and then the thing tipped up as normal and all of the rocks fell out of the back...

The stranger thing tho is that nothing has ever grown on them in all this time... I always wondered if they might be radioactive or something...  scared2:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »

evil:

Buy it on ebay!  Thumbs:

This is what you get

Cool!  Thumbs:

Many years ago (~10?) trucks started dumping great big piles of white rocks in a field up the road from us.

The strange thing was that the rocks came in sealed 40 foot shipping containers instead of in normal 'tipper' trucks.  When they got here, the driver unlocked the back doors (snigger) and then the thing tipped up as normal and all of the rocks fell out of the back...

The stranger thing tho is that nothing has ever grown on them in all this time... I always wondered if they might be radioactive or something...  scared2:
scared2:
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2016, 12:51:51 PM »

scared2:

A short while after it was all dumped there a goat managed to hang itself in a tree next to it!  eeek:

I don't go near it...  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »
Places to visit
Lagos
Barrow
Moscow
Nottingham