Disgusterous

Author Topic: A Pointless Example of Democracy  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
A Pointless Example of Democracy
« on: May 05, 2016, 05:56:31 PM »
For the first time (in my recollection) I've haven't voted in an election.

Today I could have shared in the selection of one of five candidates for the post of Essex Police and Crime Commissioner. It's been so low key that only one has actually canvassed me, I received one A5 leaflet from Essex Conservatives. The others, nothing.

Thanks to the internet I looked up the others and to be honest I couldn't see any major differences in any of them. Five middle-aged white males who all fancy a nice cushy £85,000 post and offering the same, non-specific promises.

The current PCC isn't even standing for re-election so the democratic principle of "holding to account" doesn't apply. It's a job, a non political job and whoever wants the job should be hired (and fired) on that basis. 

A total waste of time and money.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
Re: A Pointless Example of Democracy
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 06:00:41 PM »
I agree. I popped in to vote on the way home (thinking there might be some council elections) but just five blokes for the PCC. Looks like I may have been about the first voter all day
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Uncle Mort

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 06:14:07 PM »
Last time (2012) turnout was 15.1%, It's a shame that local council elections are being held at the same time (a cunning plan perhaps) otherwise turnout might be lower.

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 07:24:38 PM »
I voted.  I was given a first and second choice ballot form.  I wanted a first second third fourth and fifth choice form so I could make it very clear how much I want the lying useless cow Katy Bourne out

But she will get re-elected, in Sussex a Tory candidate could be filmed buggering small children with a rusty spade and still get elected.

This is all one of those ideas that sounded good after 10 too many bottles of Chateau du Borisse but as Uncle says it's just a total waste of time and money
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 11:32:33 PM »
Don't get me started on Crime Commissioners, the one we have been lumbered with for Devon and Cornwall is an absolute cockwomble that wouldn't know a criminal if they danced up to him stark bollock naked and jabbed him in the eye with a cattle prod.  Banghead
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 06:51:30 AM »
Apparently the Wirral's (conservative) candidate for Police & rime commissioner was dismissed from his last position for gross misconduct. Allegedly to do with expenses.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 09:43:19 PM »
It's for the local council elections rather then the PCC but somehing strikes me as extremely dubious about 'suddenly' finding a 'bunch' of votes after the count had ended.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3576549/Actually-won-Labour-councillor-thought-lost-election-retains-seat-bundle-votes-Tory-pile.html
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 10:32:51 PM »
It's for the local council elections rather then the PCC but somehing strikes me as extremely dubious about 'suddenly' finding a 'bunch' of votes after the count had ended.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3576549/Actually-won-Labour-councillor-thought-lost-election-retains-seat-bundle-votes-Tory-pile.html
Or suddenly telling most Barnet voters that they can't vote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36230461

Not good
Well, whatever, nevermind