Author Topic: Surely the question should be  (Read 31539 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Re: Surely the question should be
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 04:50:23 PM »
It wouldn't take that much to work out the details of something along the lines of the American '3 strike' system. Founf guilty of three serious or violent crimes and it's an immediate 25 years to whole life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. Build a special high security prison for these animals somewhere in the middle of nowhere and keep them away from the public.

I'm all for 'three strikes'....  Thumbs:

But in the 'States they extended it to drug crimes and the prisons simply overflowed with drug users/dealers...

I'd go for pretty much all crime providing there was a serious attempt at training/rehabilitation after the first crime.

So basically, you commit a crime, you are punished and returned to society with some chance of living a normal life... so you have received some life skills/training/qualifications or whatever and if you can't find a job one would be found for you - even if it is painting coal white.

Thereafter you are just punished for increasingly long periods.

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 05:02:42 PM »
It wouldn't take that much to work out the details of something along the lines of the American '3 strike' system. Founf guilty of three serious or violent crimes and it's an immediate 25 years to whole life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. Build a special high security prison for these animals somewhere in the middle of nowhere and keep them away from the public.

I'm all for 'three strikes'....  Thumbs:

But in the 'States they extended it to drug crimes and the prisons simply overflowed with drug users/dealers...

I'd go for pretty much all crime providing there was a serious attempt at training/rehabilitation after the first crime.

So basically, you commit a crime, you are punished and returned to society with some chance of living a normal life... so you have received some life skills/training/qualifications or whatever and if you can't find a job one would be found for you - even if it is painting coal white.

Thereafter you are just punished for increasingly long periods.
Yep

Something like doubled sentence each successive offence.

Some people in the so called justice system really do not get it they you actually have to deter crime because some people are never ever going to be good and yes we really can build enough prisons to cope.  Not that we'd need them, once a few were looking at 20 year stretches for their 10th offence a whole lot of criminals would think again.

And don't get me on automatic release after half a sentence has been served  Banghead
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Baldy

• Power Poster
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 07:47:51 PM »
News just in, Wheatley has won an appeal on the sentence he was given for carrying out an armed robbery after walking out of an open prison. So now instead of having to serve 10 years before being eligible for parole he now only has to serve 8 Banghead

Now lets not forget here that this recividist has 23 previous convictions for robbery, two for attempted robbery, 18 for related firearms offences and was already serving a LIFE SENTENCE when he did a bunk while on day release.

Mr Justice Cranston, who along with Lady Justice Hallett and Mr Justice Knowles, reduced the tariff, added that he still faced a "very considerable period" behind bars.

"This was a very serious offence and the fact that it occurred when the appellant was on day release must clearly be a matter for public concern," he said.

Evidently this was such a serious crime that combined with his history led you to make the decision to reduce the amount of time he would have to wait before he is eligible for parole. Now I know that the three of you will never leave your ivory towers and venture into the real world but this bastards victims, not to mention the general public as a whole, have a right to know what the hell possessed you to make that decision.

He may spend a considerable time behind bars as you say but in the case of an unrepentant violent thieving thug like Wheatley the needs of the many should take priority and he should never be allowed even the slightest chance of parole.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30228964

noooo: noooo:

Hang him by his ballcock's  cussing:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
Unbelievable, the decision on whether to allow someone to be able to post bail has to balance out the good of the individual vs the good of the public so why the hell are these violent bastards being allowed it.  Banghead

Magistrates have been under mounting pressure in recent years to remand fewer suspects into custody to ease the burden on over-stretched prisons.

But critics said the figures proved that too many dangerous criminals were being released until their trial date – despite the risk to the community.

Here is a thought, if there isn't the capacity to hold them build more prisons and convert these so called open ones into properly secure facilities. It isn't bleedin' rocket science.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2937167/One-killing-week-thug-bail-Offenders-committed-two-rapes-week-sexual-assault-child-day-await-trial.html
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2015, 06:10:10 PM »
Yep whoever grants the bail has to face criminal negligence charges unless they can show they gave proper consideration to the risks

Offline Baldy

• Power Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2015, 09:51:20 PM »
Yep whoever grants the bail has to face criminal negligence charges unless they can show they gave proper consideration to the risks

Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 07:08:16 PM »
This animal decides to repeatedly smash a beer bottle into the head of the poor lass who turned him down leaving her traumatised and all he gets is to pay 2 and a half grand in compensation, 150 hour community service and a suspended sentence. The justice system in this country has 3 roles, serving the public trust, protecting the innocent and upholding the law of the land. Exactly which one did letting an obviously violent man out on a suspended sentence and what is going to happen the next time he decides to glass a woman for turning him down?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2939297/Petite-5ft-2in-clubber-repeatedly-glassed-face-burly-bottle-wielding-thug-rejected-advances.html
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2015, 07:15:54 PM »
This animal decides to repeatedly smash a beer bottle into the head of the poor lass who turned him down leaving her traumatised and all he gets is to pay 2 and a half grand in compensation, 150 hour community service and a suspended sentence. The justice system in this country has 3 roles, serving the public trust, protecting the innocent and upholding the law of the land. Exactly which one did letting an obviously violent man out on a suspended sentence and what is going to happen the next time he decides to glass a woman for turning him down?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2939297/Petite-5ft-2in-clubber-repeatedly-glassed-face-burly-bottle-wielding-thug-rejected-advances.html

You forgot deterring further crime

IMHO 5 years and no parole would be the minimum to make sure that need was met.  It may be a shame when a life is ruined by being imprisoned but it really is the lesser of two evils

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2015, 07:17:09 PM »

noooo:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2015, 07:20:22 PM »

IMHO 5 years and no parole would be the minimum to make sure that need was met.  It may be a shame when a life is ruined by being imprisoned but it really is the lesser of two evils

IMHO the justice system will only begin to work in  favour of the general public when those that hand down these sentences are held accountable for their outcome...

Sort of like happens in the real world of business...

So, if they let this (obvious) thug out and he re-offends those that made the decision are sacked and lose all pension benefits...

I bet they'd be building new prisons pretty bloody quickly....
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2015, 12:51:51 PM »

IMHO the justice system will only begin to work in  favour of the general public when those that hand down these sentences are held accountable for their outcome...

Sort of like happens in the real world of business...

So, if they let this (obvious) thug out and he re-offends those that made the decision are sacked and lose all pension benefits...

I bet they'd be building new prisons pretty bloody quickly....

Indeed.  Sadly our laws, sentencing guidelines and prison budgets are set by those that have round the clock police protection.

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »
A drug dealer who was already on a weeks release is given extra time out so that she can go and see 50 Shades of Grey with another inmate who was convicted of stabbing a taxi driver and almost killing him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2985888/Fury-heroin-dealer-woman-stabbed-taxi-driver-given-day-release-watch-Fifty-Shades-Grey.html

I don't know why I am upset by this any more, it's obvious that the criminal justice system has been completely emasculated by cost cutting and the importance of the 'ooman right' of the prisoner which means that idiocy like this has become commonplace.

Stop the train, I want to get off.  Banghead

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »
A drug dealer who was already on a weeks release is given extra time out so that she can go and see 50 Shades of Grey with another inmate who was convicted of stabbing a taxi driver and almost killing him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2985888/Fury-heroin-dealer-woman-stabbed-taxi-driver-given-day-release-watch-Fifty-Shades-Grey.html

I don't know why I am upset by this any more, it's obvious that the criminal justice system has been completely emasculated by cost cutting and the importance of the 'ooman right' of the prisoner which means that idiocy like this has become commonplace.

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2015, 01:38:20 PM »

noooo: noooo: noooo:  Banghead

A Scottish Prison Service spokesman told MailOnline today: 'We wouldn't comment on individual prisoners.'
Cos you haven't got a clue where they are perchance?

Offline boogs

• Power Poster
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 03:36:05 PM »

Werds just fuckin fail me  cussing: cussing: cussing:
You only get one chance at this life so make the most of it .