Disgusterous

Author Topic: Fanatical Anti-Smokers...  (Read 40987 times)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Fanatical Anti-Smokers...
« on: May 04, 2013, 07:11:48 AM »
...can even turn a discussion about UKIP into a smoking rant...

Quote from: Jonathan Mason
“I want to enjoy a cigarette in peace without being treated like a child or a criminal…”

I have no objection to that as long as it is not within 30 feet of me, indoors or outdoors, because the smell of cigarette smoke, or the smell of someone who has been smoking recently in the same room immediately gives me sinus inflammation and a lot of mucus, which is unpleasant.

Unfortunately the vast majority of people who smoke are quite inconsiderate of others. For example, in the hospital I worked at in the US smoking was forbidden on grounds, and yet some staff would go off grounds on their coffee or lunch break and smoke in their cars, and come back reeking of smoke, which was very unpleasant for the patients they were working with, not to mention other staff who had to be in the same space or office.

Hence, although there are no doubt some clean smokers who bathe and change their clothing before going into public places, most don’t and so we end up with laws that may seem unnecessarily stringent. Having said that I personally IMMEDIATELY notice the difference in air quality between deplaning in a Florida airport where smoking is forbidden and landing at Atlanta airport which reeks of smoke which hits you as soon as you take your first breath. I make a point of avoiding connections there.

Where I live in the Dominican Republic smoking is forbidden in airports and enclosed indoor restaurants, but allowed in restaurants which are “open air” which actually covers nearly all the restaurants and can make for unpleasant dining. What I have found works best is to check if there is anyone smoking there before sitting down, or if there is see if there is a table available upwind. If that fails, it is best to go elsewhere or else get a takeaway.

I don’t know what the best solution is as it is almost impossible to allow people to “enjoy a cigarette in peace” in a public place without annoying someone else. Of course people should be allowed to light up in their own homes if there are no children present, and presumably in open spaces, because if there is no one else sharing the same air, then there will be no one to complain. Conscientious smokers will, off course, take their butts home with them along with the cigarette packets, cellophane, silver paper, used matches, etc. and dispose of them in airtight containers for the convenience of garbage collection employees. I see no need to have a requirement to collect the ash from an open place such as a field or a beach.

Clicky...

I love the idea of getting off a plane and the first thing you notice is not the stench of aviation fuel, nor the fumes from all the taxis at the rank or any of the other thousands of vehicles moving around the airport.... but the smell of a little leaf being burnt....  lol: lol: lol:

Jonathan Mason I salute you and your hyper-sensitive nose! worthy: 
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
Re: Fanatical Anti-Smokers...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 07:26:39 AM »
I noticed the BBC news made a MASSIVE effort to zoom in on 'our Nige' and his fag holding mitt and smoking btw.  rubschin:

Offline boogs

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 08:17:04 AM »

“I want to enjoy a cigarette in peace without being treated like a child or a criminal…”

I have no objection to that as long as it is not within 30 feet of me, indoors or outdoors, because the smell of cigarette smoke, or the smell of someone who has been smoking recently in the same room immediately gives me sinus inflammation and a lot of mucus, which is unpleasant.

Unfortunately the vast majority of people who smoke are quite inconsiderate of others. For example, in the hospital I worked at in the US smoking was forbidden on grounds, and yet some staff would go off grounds on their coffee or lunch break and smoke in their cars, and come back reeking of smoke, which was very unpleasant for the patients they were working with, not to mention other staff who had to be in the same space or office.

Hence, although there are no doubt some clean smokers who bathe and change their clothing before going into public places, most don’t and so we end up with laws that may seem unnecessarily stringent. Having said that I personally IMMEDIATELY notice the difference in air quality between deplaning in a Florida airport where smoking is forbidden and landing at Atlanta airport which reeks of smoke which hits you as soon as you take your first breath. I make a point of avoiding connections there.

Where I live in the Dominican Republic smoking is forbidden in airports and enclosed indoor restaurants, but allowed in restaurants which are “open air” which actually covers nearly all the restaurants and can make for unpleasant dining. What I have found works best is to check if there is anyone smoking there before sitting down, or if there is see if there is a table available upwind. If that fails, it is best to go elsewhere or else get a takeaway.

I don’t know what the best solution is as it is almost impossible to allow people to “enjoy a cigarette in peace” in a public place without annoying someone else. Of course people should be allowed to light up in their own homes if there are no children present, and presumably in open spaces, because if there is no one else sharing the same air, then there will be no one to complain. Conscientious smokers will, off course, take their butts home with them along with the cigarette packets, cellophane, silver paper, used matches, etc. and dispose of them in airtight containers for the convenience of garbage collection employees. I see no need to have a requirement to collect the ash from an open place such as a field or a beach.

Clicky...

I love the idea of getting off a plane and the first thing you n notice is not the stench of aviation fuel, nor the fumes from all the taxis at the rank or any of the other thousands of vehicles moving around the airport.... but the smell of a little leaf being burnt....  lol: lol: lol:

Wot an arse....     Not you BM.... noooo:
You only get one chance at this life so make the most of it .

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »

Clicky...

I love the idea of getting off a plane and the first thing you n notice is not the stench of aviation fuel, nor the fumes from all the taxis at the rank or any of the other thousands of vehicles moving around the airport.... but the smell of a little leaf being burnt....  lol: lol: lol:

Wot an arse....     Not you BM.... noooo:

rubschin: mmmmmmmmm. The jury is still out on that one actually, and has been for many years now. lol:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
. . .Wot an arse....   

seconded

Rabid anti smokers  evil: evil: evil: evil: evil:

As for Farage caught smoking, suspect he made sure that happened, his policy on smoking is well known and one I applaud
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline GROWLER

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 11:35:02 PM »
I hear Wetherspoons have now banned the use of the electronic fags, 'cus...."it sends out the wrong message"

The only message I could send to them is to stick their pubs as far up their riggets as is humanly possible.  Finger:

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 11:37:23 PM »
I hear Wetherspoons have now banned the use of the electronic fags, 'cus...."it sends out the wrong message"

The only message I could send to them is to stick their pubs as far up their riggets as is humanly possible.  Finger:

cussing:   was in an open air bar here tonight ..the smoking area is 2 foot away from the smoking area....... noooo:

Offline boogs

• Power Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 11:43:29 PM »

At werk you can only smoke them in the smoke shelter...  noooo: ::)

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 11:49:46 PM »

At werk you can only smoke them in the smoke shelter...  noooo: ::)

Are they taxed...... rubschin:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 04:55:43 AM »
I also love the idea of the bin men emptying the filth and detritus of society into the back of the truck with that overwhelming smell that it has...  sick2:

And then one of the binners retching because somebody has put a dog-end in the trash without sealing it in an air-tight container! happy001

All werk comes to a halt, JOM turns up and deploys 'Bio Hazard' signs and tapes the area off until an specially trained operative in a space suit turns up and removes the fag end with a long pole with jaws on the end....

I've gone too far haven't I...?  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Just One More

• Power Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 08:20:26 AM »
I also love the idea of the bin men emptying the filth and detritus of society into the back of the truck with that overwhelming smell that it has...  sick2:

And then one of the binners retching because somebody has put a dog-end in the trash without sealing it in an air-tight container! happy001

All werk comes to a halt, JOM turns up and deploys 'Bio Hazard' signs and tapes the area off until an specially trained operative in a space suit turns up and removes the fag end with a long pole with jaws on the end....

I've gone too far haven't I...?  rubschin:

Signs are there for a reason. Ignore them at your peril

LiFe - It's an "F" in lie

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 09:53:43 AM »
A comment from here...

Quote from: roger2343
The smoking ban is great. The laws will just get stricter. New Zealand to completely ban smoking by 2025, university campuses all across america banning smoking (even outdoors), new laws in place in europe.

millions of doctors and scientists around the world can’t be wrong. This blog (and it’s readers) are delusional to think for ONE MINUTE they are smarter than doctors/scientists majority opinion globally.

Can’t wait for you all to die off.

And there you have the health-driven anti-smoking campaign in a nutshell!  noooo:

Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline boogs

• Power Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 10:26:38 AM »
A comment from here...

Quote from: roger2343
The smoking ban is great. The laws will just get stricter. New Zealand to completely ban smoking by 2025, university campuses all across america banning smoking (even outdoors), new laws in place in europe.

millions of doctors and scientists around the world can’t be wrong. This blog (and it’s readers) are delusional to think for ONE MINUTE they are smarter than doctors/scientists majority opinion globally.

Can’t wait for you all to die off.

And there you have the health-driven anti-smoking campaign in a nutshell!  noooo:

The bloke is a complete fucktard idiot  Wankah:... These people are to be pitied than scorned... 

Offline Nick

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 08:38:29 AM »
I wnet out for a fag last night and met a wumman who was also rather furtively smoking. I asked her if she was there for an award.

"No, I am from the cancer charity that benefits. For Christ's sake don't tell anyone you saw me out here."  eeek:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »
I wnet out for a fag last night and met a wumman who was also rather furtively smoking. I asked her if she was there for an award.

"No, I am from the cancer charity that benefits. For Christ's sake don't tell anyone you saw me out here."  eeek:

lol: lol: lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: