Author Topic: I WANT!  (Read 101703 times)

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
Re: I WANT!
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2017, 12:50:17 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Amazon Prime is very good.  I was very caustic about it when they doubled the price and threw in fillums but not for the first or last time I was wrong  redface:

But voice input systems are in my experience way too often more error prone, slower and take more effort than virtual button/keyboard driven ones.  They have their place yes but a very narrow one, fighter pilots being an example where they work but then again only for some functions.

Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2017, 12:58:56 PM »

Amazon Prime is very good.  I was very caustic about it when they doubled the price and threw in fillums but not for the first or last time I was wrong  redface:

But voice input systems are in my experience way too often more error prone, slower and take more effort than virtual button/keyboard driven ones.  They have their place yes but a very narrow one, fighter pilots being an example where they work but then again only for some functions.

We shall see... On-line video reviews are very impressive (not Amazon ones)...

I don't think Prime even works here for streaming and stuff so I shall cancel before the end of the month...

Free next-day delivery while LL is in the UK has been good tho...  cloud9:

...prolly offset by excess baggage charges at Gatwick next week...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »

We shall see... On-line video reviews are very impressive (not Amazon ones)...

I don't think Prime even works here for streaming and stuff so I shall cancel before the end of the month...

Free next-day delivery while LL is in the UK has been good tho...  cloud9:

...prolly offset by excess baggage charges at Gatwick next week...  redface:
Ah

Yes if your Amazon Prime address is in the UK then maybe streaming won't work in Cyprus unless of course you have a VPN to circumvent the geoblocking (legality unclear).  And somehow I suspect you have.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #228 on: June 23, 2017, 06:26:16 AM »
I ordered one...  redface:

It doesn't fucking work...  Banghead

Or, for a more comprehensive answer, Amazon prevent you downloading the necessary app from here... Even with complicated VPN fuckwittery and Star Trek type cloaking devices... ::)

So my options are: -

1) Download a dodgy 'apk' and risk having my Amazon account raped by a scammer.
2) Send the bastard back.

Frustratingly, I could have got LL to download the App on her phone while she was in the UK, back it up here and then restore it to mine... facepalm:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Nick

« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2017, 06:29:50 AM »
 point:
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2017, 06:31:34 AM »
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #231 on: June 23, 2017, 07:27:01 AM »

Or, for a more comprehensive answer, Amazon prevent you downloading the necessary app from here... Even with complicated VPN fuckwittery and Star Trek type cloaking devices... ::)

Frustratingly, I could have got LL to download the App on her phone while she was in the UK, back it up here and then restore it to mine... facepalm:

What's the issue?  Just ask Alexa how to sort it.

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2017, 07:38:06 AM »

facepalm:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #233 on: June 23, 2017, 08:01:06 AM »

facepalm:
angel1

How about some friendly person downloads the APK file and puts it on a file sharing site?

Or can you download it from here?  http://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.amazon.dee.app/

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #234 on: June 23, 2017, 08:26:13 AM »

facepalm:
angel1

How about some friendly person downloads the APK file and puts it on a file sharing site?

Or can you download it from here?  http://www.apkmonk.com/app/com.amazon.dee.app/

Yes, there are several sites like apkmonk... in fact I actually downloaded it from there yesterday but had my doubts about it...  scared2:

The problem is that I can't find any such site that has loads of reviews of it that would give me confidence that it is actually pukka...  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2017, 08:29:41 AM »
You mean you could think you've downloaded Alexa and instead got some dodgy Nigerian bloke scamming

Chrome doesn't identify apkmonk as dodgy but then prolly best being ever so certain. 

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2017, 08:38:42 AM »
You mean you could think you've downloaded Alexa and instead got some dodgy Nigerian bloke scamming

Chrome doesn't identify apkmonk as dodgy but then prolly best being ever so certain.

Indeed!

The problem is that the first thing the app does is ask for your Amazon account name and password... not sure I want to risk giving that away to an 'unknown source'. As i said, if any of those sites had user reviews (even though a spam site would be likely to leave 'don't download this, a dodgy Nigerian bloke raped my Amazon account' on the list), I'd be happier...  rubschin:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #237 on: June 23, 2017, 08:46:30 AM »

Indeed!

The problem is that the first thing the app does is ask for your Amazon account name and password... not sure I want to risk giving that away to an 'unknown source'. As i said, if any of those sites had user reviews (even though a spam site would be likely to leave 'don't download this, a dodgy Nigerian bloke raped my Amazon account' on the list), I'd be happier...  rubschin:

surely the biggest danger is ersatz Alexa will listen to all your wishes and then tell the world "hey there's this man in Cyprus who needs to know how to get a bucket off his head"  (or worse)

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2017, 09:10:50 AM »

Indeed!

surely the biggest danger is ersatz Alexa will listen to all your wishes and then tell the world "hey there's this man in Cyprus who needs to know how to get a bucket off his head"  (or worse)

Nah!  lol:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
Sending it back Monday....  evil:

Have ordered Google Home...  redface:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: