Disgusterous

Author Topic: "Spring" Bank Holidays  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
"Spring" Bank Holidays
« on: June 02, 2012, 07:00:56 AM »
Well here we go for an extra long holiday. Ackchooly the kids had yesterday off as it was a inset day at local schools.
But what to do?

In this village, on Sunday, we have our primary school's annual fundraiser of a fete and "Duck Race" (Plastic ducks) in the river at the foot of the Waterfall.
Monday sees the street parties in honour(?) of HM's Jubilee so much baking of cakes and pastries + frying of chicken drum sticks to be squeezed in on Sunday.
Tuesday tho' is proving a bit of a puzzler ....... Any ideas (apart from a lot of clearing up and taking down of bunting only strung up yesterday)?

Give HM her due. I got a street party out of her Coronation, another 25 years on and yet another 25 years after that so I'll raise a glass to Her Maj for the fourth time and I suppose, if spared, get another Coronation in before I'm called.

BUT despite all this it just doesn't seem like a Spring holiday at all ..... What happened to the Kids getting new clothes and parading for Whit Walks, where are the Brass Bands of my youth (ackchoooly being from t'South we had silver bands) and where are the church choirs? Gone in the name of "Progress" I s'pose.
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
Re: "Spring" Bank Holidays
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »
Sad in many ways Snoops, it may be rose tinted specs to a degree but it really does seem that nothing is 'special' any more.

There seems no respect for anything or anyone and we live in a throw away society.  Clothes are now so cheap they can purchased year round.  I remember having 'Sunday best' clothes. My mother had removable pads that she placed in the armpit of her dresses, she wore stockings until tights hit the scene.

I am rambling so had best be off to enjoy these four days.  I will prolly be recovering on Tuesday unable to move as we are helping put the Jubilee celebrations together here. Half the country will be  getting or staying pissed I don't doubt. noooo:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline apc2010

• Power Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:50:15 AM »
Sad in many ways Snoops, it may be rose tinted specs to a degree but it really does seem that nothing is 'special' any more.

There seems no respect for anything or anyone and we live in a throw away society.  Clothes are now so cheap they can purchased year round.  I remember having 'Sunday best' clothes. My mother had removable pads that she placed in the armpit of her dresses, she wore stockings until tights hit the scene.

I am rambling so had best be off to enjoy these four days.  I will prolly be recovering on Tuesday unable to move as we are helping put the Jubilee celebrations together here. Half the country will be  getting or staying pissed I don't doubt. noooo:

Sad but true.......

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 05:28:40 PM »
I might cycle up to the river to take a look at Her Maj going boating tomorrow, but generally glad to have some quiet time after a knackering week
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 05:21:54 AM »
I might cycle up to the river to take a look at Her Maj going boating tomorrow, but generally glad to have some quiet time after a knackering week

Are you back already!  eeek:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Miss Demeanour

• Power Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 07:23:30 AM »

It will be mental , mental, chicken oriental up by the river ....especially with a cycle . Large crowds with battering prams , police cordens, diversions a go- go   noooo: Oh and it will be pissio. But apart from that sounds like a grand idea  ;)

Skubber

Offline Miss Creant Commander of the picklement and baking BAb(Hons)

• Power Poster
  • I have a keen sense of stupidity!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 08:15:34 AM »
He might get kettled, that would be a first for the VP as far as I know. :thumbsup:
I have always thought that the worst thing about drowning was having to call 'help!' You must look such a fool. It's put me against drowning.
J Basil Boothroyd

Offline Pastis

• Power Poster
  • a continuing precarious position
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:29:34 AM »
Yep, pissio already  ::)
Think I might give it a miss  :thumbsup:
Like the Buddhist said to the hot dog vendor...
"Make me one with everything"