Disgusterous

Author Topic: Backs and the Future  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Marley's Ghost (Imbiber of Spirits)

• Fool Member
  • What a dead end job . .
Backs and the Future
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:30:46 PM »
Well, after many G.P. visits over the years, I've finally gotten into the 'system' that is health care in this green and pleasant land.

Long story short:

MRI shows a distinct lack of disc material between L4 and L5. Instead of a nice chunky little marshmallow of a disc, there exists but a thin white line - which I'm informed is "not good".

Offered a jab in the back which is part palliative, part diagnostic. This was administered in early Dec with the accompanying information that this should relieve the pain for up to 6 months!

Three weeks later the pain is back! The follow-up (by telephone) informs me that this proves that I have 'facet joint degeneration'.

Google has left me depressed. I've been offered a 'procedure' which basically (AIUI) micro-waves the nerves which pass over these facet joints and which are causing the pain. Possible downside? Legs won't work through to more pain than today.

Anyone know anything about this one? Got any acquaintances who've 'been there, got the T-shirt'?

I suppose the worst outcome could see me with a free car every three years and a 'park anywhere' card.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." 

Well, someone had to say it!

Offline Snoopy

• Administrator
  • Power Poster
  • In the Prime of Senility
Re: Backs and the Future
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 12:52:02 PM »
Well, after many G.P. visits over the years, I've finally gotten into the 'system' that is health care in this green and pleasant land.

Long story short:

MRI shows a distinct lack of disc material between L4 and L5. Instead of a nice chunky little marshmallow of a disc, there exists but a thin white line - which I'm informed is "not good".

Offered a jab in the back which is part palliative, part diagnostic. This was administered in early Dec with the accompanying information that this should relieve the pain for up to 6 months!

Three weeks later the pain is back! The follow-up (by telephone) informs me that this proves that I have 'facet joint degeneration'.

Google has left me depressed. I've been offered a 'procedure' which basically (AIUI) micro-waves the nerves which pass over these facet joints and which are causing the pain. Possible downside? Legs won't work through to more pain than today.

Anyone know anything about this one? Got any acquaintances who've 'been there, got the T-shirt'?

I suppose the worst outcome could see me with a free car every three years and a 'park anywhere' card.

Unfortunately the cars are not free and the "park anywhere cards" are not (i) easy to get if you are not tinted and (ii) do not let you park anywhere even if you have one. I gave up on the "Free Car" option because it was a waste of my munny but I did hang onto the Blue Badge despite the number of roolz as to when and how you may use them. In this neck of the woods having a Blue Badge does not get the holder free parking, even in car-parks. Also they may not be used between the Marylebone Road and the Thames. If you want disabled parking in that area you have to apply to Westminster Council who, I understand, are even tighter on allocating them than most County Councils.

Read and digest:
http://www.motability.co.uk/main.cfm?Type=HAMS
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/motoringandtransport/dg_4001061

As for the back procedure BiL had it done some five years ago and it worked for him. Whilst no longer able to run around he does walk his dog twice daily (when in the UK) and holds down a job that involves much overseas travel.

Going back to the Motability Vehicle Scheme ~ The biggest problem is that the insurance is only for you or someone driving on your behalf .... So your named driver (perhaps Mrs MG) could use it to go shopping without you in the car as you will benefit from that BUT she could not take the car to visit her mother or for an evening out as you would derive no benefit from that. Having an evening without the missus does not count as a benefit in the eyes of the insurers tho' we could all put up a good argument that it does! This and other restrictions meant we still had to maintain a second car for Woodstock.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:57:28 PM by Snoopy »
I used to have a handle on life but it broke.