Disgusterous

Author Topic: Bizarre Things You Are Paying For  (Read 48743 times)

Online Steve

• Power Poster
Well, whatever, nevermind

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
Re: Bizarre Things You Are Paying For
« Reply #199 on: May 25, 2015, 10:13:35 AM »
So Sue Berelowitz, the child protection boss who not only  failed to raise the alarm about sexual abuse by Pakistani gangs but can arguably be accused of covering the whole thing up takes 'voluntary redundancy' and gets a £134k payout only to be given a new job the next day being paid £960 a day as a consultant in charge of the inquiry into abuse by a family she had been in charge of in her old role.

She caused controversy in 2012 when she wrote a report in the wake of high-profile abuse cases in Rochdale and Rotherham denying there was a growing number of Asian grooming gangs.

Despite finding that more than a quarter of perpetrators known to the authorities were Asian, Miss Berelowitz said there was no evidence to conclude that there was a particular issue with Asian gangs.

Instead, her report – branded ‘hysterical’ and ‘highly emotional’ – said simply that abuse is carried out by men of all backgrounds.

And I'm sure there isn't going to be any kind of conflict of interest at all during the proceedings.   Banghead

Oliver Berman, of the Office of the Children’s Commissioner, said: ‘Taking on Sue Berelowitz as a consultant for a limited number of days for a limited time to chair a highly sensitive inquiry into child sexual abuse linked to the family environment was allowable because of the importance and sensitivity of the work and because of Sue’s particular expertise in this area.’

The quango says that the move to offer redundancy will save it £164,000 a year.

Her particular expertise? If you wanted someone who was an expert in sticking their head in the sand and talking absolute bollocks about a hugely important and sensitive issue then yes you have found the ideal candidate. If on the other hand, you want to make sure that similar gross negligence is avoided in future without resorting to the standard government refrain of 'lessons will be learned' then you should get rid of her and get someone in who can be trusted do the job properly instead of putting her own agenda ahead of protecting vulnerable children.

And as for the redundancy offer saving £164k a year let's be honest, if it was a private company and someone had made that serious a cock up they would most likely be looking at dismissal for gross misconduct so don't you dare try and spin this as a money saving exercise you sycophantic cretin! However if you truly believe that you have made the correct choice then you can tell the families of the victims of her bias and ineptitude in person, I'm sure they will see your point of view and not have an urge to beat the living shite out of you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3095515/Treasury-signed-disgraceful-134k-pay-child-protection-boss-failed-speak-abuse-Pakistani-gangs-rehired-consultant-24-hours-1k-DAY.html
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #200 on: May 25, 2015, 10:46:55 AM »
 Banghead Banghead Banghead

evil: evil: evil:

Offline Nick

« Reply #201 on: May 25, 2015, 10:52:47 AM »
An old schoolfriend of mind did something similar. Screwed up running Children's Services, got a £250K pay off and a £70K pension. He was 57. I said that he would be retiring. "I can't live on that!" he exclaimed. He now does interim work in Social Services on a similar day rate. They look after their own.

Yes, he is Labour.
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #202 on: May 25, 2015, 10:59:51 AM »
An old schoolfriend of mind did something similar. Screwed up running Children's Services, got a £250K pay off and a £70K pension. He was 57. I said that he would be retiring. "I can't live on that!" he exclaimed. He now does interim work in Social Services on a similar day rate. They look after their own.

Yes, he is Labour.
The problem is in the payout decision not the rehiring on a day rate.  By paying people off to go quietly (and esp to be quiet about other incompetence/wrong doing in the dept) the shite has a clean record.  And so MUST be considered as a fair candidate for any day rate work.

The paying off of duds and dosgies practice was perfected by the police over many years, any chance of them investigating is slightly less likely than us finding the world really is flat

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2015, 02:54:29 PM »
Up to £16000 a week??? There are people who work their arses off and don't earn that in a year. This sleazy lying gobshite doesn't deserve to have a taxpayer funded protection detail, make him pay for it himself.  cussing:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair/11668401/tony-blair-global-business-empire-taxpayers-money.html
The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest.

Offline Nick

« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2015, 02:59:46 PM »
Kill him. But why am I not remotely surprised?  Slotgob is quietly coining it too!
Warning: May contain Skub
Cat sitter extraordinaire
Semi-professional crocodile

Offline Grumpmeister

• Power Poster
  • Prankmeister General
« Reply #205 on: July 02, 2015, 08:42:22 PM »
Your licence fee at work, 8 MP's but the BBC wants to send 200 staff to cover the Lib Dem conference. Something tells me that there will be more reporters than attendees in total.  noooo:

Lets be honest here, it doesn't take a genius to work out in advance what the tone of the conference is going to be anyway.  Banghead

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3147347/BBC-plans-send-200-staff-scaled-coverage-Lib-Dem-conference-s-25-times-number-MPs.html

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #206 on: July 03, 2015, 03:57:14 AM »
Your licence fee at work, 8 MP's but the BBC wants to send 200 staff to cover the Lib Dem conference. Something tells me that there will be more reporters than attendees in total.  noooo:

Lets be honest here, it doesn't take a genius to work out in advance what the tone of the conference is going to be anyway.  Banghead

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3147347/BBC-plans-send-200-staff-scaled-coverage-Lib-Dem-conference-s-25-times-number-MPs.html

I thought they just sacked a load...?

...not enough obviously....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs:

Online Steve

• Power Poster
« Reply #207 on: July 03, 2015, 09:28:56 AM »

Is your issue the profile they are giving to a party that may end up in coalition before the next General election or the number of people it needs to generate as neutral a  view as possible of their conference?

Seems the BBC as we know it will be gone within the next 20 years.  With no benchmark to aim at then inevitably ITV and Sky news and current affairs coverage will go the way of the dire Fox and CNN news.  IMHO this will be a tragedy.

Offline Darwins Selection

• Power Poster
  • I mostly despair
« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »

Is your issue the profile they are giving to a party that may end up in coalition before the next General election or the number of people it needs to generate as neutral a  view as possible of their conference?

Seems the BBC as we know it will be gone within the next 20 years.  With no benchmark to aim at then inevitably ITV and Sky news and current affairs coverage will go the way of the dire Fox and CNN news.  IMHO this will be a tragedy.

Am I the only one who finds Fox News very entertaining?

Everything you always knew was wrong with Yanks is laid out in a quite risible way.

A sort of rolling Yahoo Answers.  :thumbsup:
I mostly despair

Offline Barman

• Administrator
  • Since 1960...
    • Virtual Pub!
« Reply #209 on: July 03, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »

The BBC doesn't understand the word 'neutral'....  noooo:
Pro Skub  Thumbs: